Rough River 2022 (2I3) 4/22 - 4/24

vacation days submitted.

go book your cabins!

post #100 is way ahead of post #103, slacker!
You got me...
images

Oh crap, with all of the holiday activities, I totally forgot about this one! Anyone have a bedroom open in their cabin? I promise to leave the axe at home!

Has anyone confirmed that the runway is back open?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I have a call in to the park manager.

Edit: I got a call back right now they are limited to daytime operations but are open. Tornados damaged the beacon. However it may be fully repaired and they may be back to 24 hours by the time we get there. He said that the notam is kind of screwed up and not how it's supposed to be but basically daytime Ops we're good.

Last edited:
regarding if the runway is operational: "It is during daylight hours, there was some damage to our lights."

I have a call in to the park manager.

Edit: I got a call back right now they are limited to daytime operations but are open. Tornados damaged the beacon. However it may be fully repaired and they may be back to 24 hours by the time we get there. He said that the notam is kind of screwed up and not how it's supposed to be but basically daytime Ops we're good.

Hopefully it will be repaired, "Ride the beacon" is kind of a tradition...

Maybe you can talk him into flying inverted, so you will still be in a high wing!

Looks like my wife and I will be attending as long as weather doesn’t get too bad. Never been to one of these before but want to get a cabin close by if there are any left. Do we book them online or have to call? Appreciate any info. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like my wife and I will be attending as long as weather doesn’t get too bad. Never been to one of these before but want to get a cabin close by if there are any left. Do we book them online or have to call? Appreciate any info. Thanks
Call and ask for the cabins closest to the airport. Give them the group code. Add your details to the spreadsheet. Come and have fun. Afterwards, only tell lies.

Ok thanks. Spreadsheet has been updated and will call tomorrow about a cabin. Looking forward to it. Will my wife be scarred forever?

I don’t remember how many cabins are in the loop closest to the runway. Six?

If they’re taken, then splitting them will work. Hit up those that already grabbed one.

... Will my wife be scarred forever?
So I asked my wife what she thought of your question, and her response was, "How much does she drink? Its best if he brings what she likes to drink." So, I am not sure what she is talking about, but there you have it.

She likes margaritas and other fruity drinks so planned to bring stuff for that anyway. She likes the hard seltzers too so that’s easy. Is there a place semi close by to make runs by the way?

There's a liquor store 6mi from the state park, so a car would be needed.

I live an hour away, so I drive there. So, I’ll have a car.

This is shaping up to be very interesting weekend.... at least Friday/Saturday... :p

Confirmed, there are 6 cabins in the first loop near the runway. Interesting note, their website says the lodge restaurant is open but only for take home meals, no dining in at this time.

Did we even eat in the lodge last year?

Did we even eat in the lodge last year?
Teresa & I walked in Saturday morning & were told to leave as we didn't have masks on.

Sunday morning we saw a group of POA miscreants already seated, so we just walked the 10' from the door to the table & sat down with them. The guy gave us the stink eye, but didn't say anything

Unfortunately we all then promptly died of covid. I'm surprised you didn't see it on the news.

I walked in Saturday morning & were told to leave as we didn't have masks on.

Are you sure they meant for Covid? ;)

Obviously not or they would never let me in.
edit: PS..hated to miss the Midwest breakfast. Had to help the kiddos.
Hopefully next time.

I didn't think the entire park was open until about april or so, I wouldn't worry about it. I think we had breakfast there on sunday, some might have been there on saturday morning as well. looks like there might be another restaurant on the other side, although we typically don't need another option.

upload_2022-1-24_17-53-18.png

I didn't think the entire park was open until about april or so, I wouldn't worry about it. I think we had breakfast there on sunday, some might have been there on saturday morning as well. looks like there might be another restaurant on the other side, although we typically don't need another option.

View attachment 103999
Word on the street is that Lake House place is really good.

edit: PS..hated to miss the Midwest breakfast. Had to help the kiddos.
Hopefully next time.
The only thing you missed was the tower giving me taxi instructions mid flare… and I ate the last of the hash browns.

What do y’all normally do for food during the weekend? Trying to plan if I need to bring all our food and drinks with us in the plane? Do we chip in for the main grilling meats or just all bring something to share? I’m down with whatever. Thanks

What do y’all normally do for food during the weekend? Trying to plan if I need to bring all our food and drinks with us in the plane? Do we chip in for the main grilling meats or just all bring something to share? I’m down with whatever. Thanks

as we get closer, we'll start a list of who's bringing what. seemed to work pretty well last year. basically:

fri nite, new guy works the grill
sat am, breakfast at the restaurant
sat lunch, fly to eat somewhere
sat nite, grill
sun am, breakfast at the restaurant

we tried to get the wives to cook food, they told us to #$%^ off so we went hungry the first coupl'a years until we figured out how to sorta kinda feed ourselves.

Back