Rough Ground Flight Review

My interpretation is that unless you're operating in one of the regimes that requires a 100 hour, you get the full next 100 hours when you do the inspection. The time off for running over up to 10 hours only occurs if you NEEDED the 100 hour during that grace period.

During a BFR many years ago, I decided to use my aerobatic instructor. He was the last instructor I had used, so he was very familiar with me. We decided to do the flying portion first, in his Extra, and it was awesome. He praised my flying and went on an on about it as we walked to the terminal. I was on cloud 9.

Then it was time for the ground portion. For some reason, his attitude changed and it got ugly. No answer I gave was good enough and he was visibly angry. I finally snapped and told him screw it, I would find another instructor and do this all over again without him and I left. He followed me outside and acted like he didn't know why I was upset. He signed my BFR and we never spoke again. Now that I'm older, I wouldn't even tolerate as much as I did that day. Not worth my time.

The AD and regulations say that you not only can but that you must make the log entry. What is their stated reason for saying that you can’t?

(d) The repetitive inspections of the torque putty as required by this AD may be performed by the owner/operator holding at least a private pilot certificate as authorized by section 43.7 of the Federal Aviation Regulations (14 CFR 43.7), and must be entered into the aircraft records showing compliance with this AD in accordance with section 43.11 of the Federal Aviation Regulations (14 CFR 43.11).

Just 1 A&P of 3 who I use on my plane. I never challenged it, and just keep logging oil changes the same way I always have, and he’s not said anything after the first time (maybe he went back and researched it).

During a BFR many years ago, I decided to use my aerobatic instructor. He was the last instructor I had used, so he was very familiar with me. We decided to do the flying portion first, in his Extra, and it was awesome. He praised my flying and went on an on about it as we walked to the terminal. I was on cloud 9.

Then it was time for the ground portion. For some reason, his attitude changed and it got ugly. No answer I gave was good enough and he was visibly angry. I finally snapped and told him screw it, I would find another instructor and do this all over again without him and I left. He followed me outside and acted like he didn't know why I was upset. He signed my BFR and we never spoke again. Now that I'm older, I wouldn't even tolerate as much as I did that day. Not worth my time.

Pilots are a weird, eccentric, Type-A bunch. Except me.

Yes they are! Look at them, arguing about a legality again and again and again when instead they should be taking about flying, don't get me wrong, I do cover and study my regs, I don't let them suck me into a 3 pages discussion of the same thing, no señor.

Don't have time for that any more.

Enjoy

Just got a commercial single yesterday, good for two more years. Does a helicopter add on negate the need for a fixed wing BFR?

Heck, I think even a hot air balloon add-on removes the need for a FW BFR. Seems a bit silly.

Just got a commercial single yesterday, good for two more years. Does a helicopter add on negate the need for a fixed wing BFR?
There's no such thing as category (despite what one of the local DPEs claims) on flight reviews. You can do the hour of flight and the hour of ground in ANY aircraft you are rated in. You can substitute a successful flight test for any pilot certificate or rating for that and good to be PIC in anything your certificate covers.

Yes, but the Robinson SFAR has some specifics on flight reviews if you want to fly them.

He was sitting in the FBO lobby pontificating on how you couldn't fly helicopters if you did your flight review in a fixed wing (but could the other way around). Perhaps he was confused over the R22/R44 rules. You must do the review specifically in the R22 or R44 there. Of course, once you accomplish that, you're free to fly anything else (including non-Robinson helicopters) as you could if you did your BFR in an airship.

Back