Rotor heads you're out of a job.

I thought aircraft had to see and avoid other aircraft. Does this have cameras and Tesla like processing?

I’ll be retired long before that replaces humans.
^This. There is a huge difference between automation and true autonomy when it comes to aircraft. What you have here is simply a higher level of automation. Ten to one eVTOLs will hauling pax (with pilots) for years before you see a pilotless R22 move anything at the same level.

I don't see it happening for a long, long time. Not because it isn't possible, but because the pilot serves a critical function for any commercial operation - someone to blame.

Ever since consumer drones came out, I have questioned why it takes so much training to fly a helicopter. To perform the same range of motions with a drone, it takes minutes to learn. Why does it take 30+ hours in a helicopter? I assume the eVTOLs will have controls similar to drones.

Ever since consumer drones came out, I have questioned why it takes so much training to fly a helicopter. To perform the same range of motions with a drone, it takes minutes to learn. Why does it take 30+ hours in a helicopter? I assume the eVTOLs will have controls similar to drones.
Back in 1981, it took about 12 hours to solo in a helicopter. It takes several hours just to learn to hover. And one does need to know how to fly, just in case the SCAS shuts down in flight.

Last edited:
Evtols (eye roll)…the latest venture capital / private equity scam. Will there be some? Sure.

Meh

Why does it take 30+ hours in a helicopter?
In general, most drones have internal flight stabilization and basic autopilots. Most helicopters do not. Take out the stabilization and autopilots in drones and it will take 30+ hours to learn how to fly a drone as well. The R22 above is basically a helicopter with drone type controls.

As to the eVTOL controls, they were designed and built with remote piloting and auto-flight in mind. So yes their flight controls are more similar to drone controls.

Last edited:
How many hours did it take to program and develop all the rules the computer needs to fly the thing. Probably many many more than 30 hrs. But when all is said and done, how many of the emergency, exceptional and unusual and unexpected circumstances that occur in everyday aviation are accounted for, or completely anticipated by the AI logic. I think that difficulty is why you need the human, or at least the knowledge that the life saving outcome is equally important to the person controlling the controls as it is to the passengers.

Autonomous R-22 helicopter how much worse could it be than the pilot's crashing them now. If their was ever a helicopter that needed help the R-22 was it. Bell 206 getting old now and cheap to buy not cheap to keep running but cheap to buy, probably should have some autonomous help as it also draws less than average, know it all pilots that destroy a lot of them. Cheap helicopters are always going to be a problem autonomous AI how much worse could it be.

Last edited:
I thought aircraft had to see and avoid other aircraft. Does this have cameras and Tesla like processing?
I don't know what they're using in this system, but others use radar.

Back