Romancing The (kidney) Stone

N

Not in love

It painfully made it into the bladder.

Anyone else pass one of these?

Any guess on how long it might take?

Got some hints for helping it along?

Doc says if it don’t pass in a few weeks he’ll go in and get it.

Did they give you flomax to take? That will help a bit. Otherwise, drink as much fluid as you can tolerate and make sure to keep moving around. Sitting or laying in one position doesn’t help get it moving.

Once it makes it to the bladder it generally doesn't cause any more pain on the rest of the journey, which typically only takes a day or two.

Once it makes it to the bladder it generally doesn't cause any more pain on the rest of the journey, which typically only takes a day or two.

I've found that rattling around in the bladder isn't too bad, kind of like a mild UTI. That last several inches to the outside world can be rather painful, to the point a Percocet or equivalent helps take the edge off. Especially for my personal record, which I'd rather not go through again if possible.

19959773081_22469e42d5_z.jpg

Had a stone removed about 12 years ago that was a ureteral obstruction. They put in a temporary stint with the removal string hanging out of Mr. Johnson. A few days later the doc pulled the stint out in a motion similar to cranking a weed eater ...

I've found that rattling around in the bladder isn't too bad, kind of like a mild UTI. That last several inches to the outside world can be rather painful, to the point a Percocet or equivalent helps take the edge off. Especially for my personal record, which I'd rather not go through again if possible.

19959773081_22469e42d5_z.jpg

That is nightmare fuel, and I must admit I'm very glad to have never had one that big...

Depends. Smaller roundish stones that were agony for the first part of the journey can make it the last few inches without hardly being noticed. May take a day or two. But there are exceptions as noted above.
I assume you have a paint strainer to catch the little esso bees for analysis?

:dunno:

Just trying to tell it like it is ... or could be.

It was an extremely painful experience for me. I was told ... "now you know what it's like to have a baby" & I replied, "when I seen the wife having contractions at least she would get a break in between."

With a stone in one of your ureters the pain is very intense (it was for me) and it did not relent until they put some meds on it ...

:dunno:

Just trying to tell it like it is ... or could be.

It was an extremely painful experience for me. I was told ... "now you know what it's like to have a baby" & I replied, "when I seen the wife having contractions at least she would get a break in between."

With a stone in one of your ureters the pain is very intense (it was for me) and it did not relent until they put some meds on it ...

My reaction to that description was visceral, so I think job done for you. I'll finish twitching and cringing shortly. :D

I passed a smooth and round and small stone on my own, didn't get docs involved. I even tried some home remedy I found online to speed its passing -- something about drinking like a 2L of coke (yuck) and then jumping up and down. It did nothing. I suspect the shame of it passed the stone the following day. Just a pause and p'toong at random at a urinal. Not the sort of behaviour one expects out of one's jazz hose, surprised the hell out of me. No pain, just irritation that faded quite quickly.

Hopefully OP's experience is closer to mine than the string trimmer.

Had a stone removed about 12 years ago that was a ureteral obstruction. They put in a temporary stint with the removal string hanging out of Mr. Johnson. A few days later the doc pulled the stint out in a motion similar to cranking a weed eater ...

Not just no, but hell no. I remember my dad writhing on the floor back in the day, no thanks. I drink lots of water. Lots…

you should feel or hear it pass when it plunks into the john. i had my 3rd stone about a month ago. this one was small...about 4mm (my second was 19mm and had to be blasted into smaller pieces by laser). my 3rd stone made it's way into my bladder after a week of on again/off again pain. it passed completely a day or so later. there was a very brief burning sensation...a parting shot.

Had them before and it can be quite painful. Most important thing is to catch the stone and have it analyzed for composition. That will tell you what you need to change to reduce or prevent further stones. Dad had them too and his were calcium based. Didn't help at the time that he was drinking several gallons of milk a week. Mine were acid stones and I had to cut back on iced tea and add more water. A big help is pay attention to your urine color. Once it starts getting closer to a gold color, you're in potential trouble areas and need to get yourself hydrated fairly soon.

I had one. Ended up in the ER. Nurse asked me, “On a scale of 1 to 10, how much does it hurt?” I was gritting my teeth so hard I couldn’t answer. She said, “I’ll take that as a 10.”

Been there. Passed that. No fun

No problem with class 2. two years follow up. After it passes, it’s really a non issue as long as you heed what you learn with your doc.

A family curse. Why I try and stay thin, stay vegetarian and drink lots and lots of fluid. Major sympathy for the OP, those things aren't for the feint of heart.

Had them before and it can be quite painful. Most important thing is to catch the stone and have it analyzed for composition. That will tell you what you need to change to reduce or prevent further stones. Dad had them too and his were calcium based. Didn't help at the time that he was drinking several gallons of milk a week. Mine were acid stones and I had to cut back on iced tea and add more water. A big help is pay attention to your urine color. Once it starts getting closer to a gold color, you're in potential trouble areas and need to get yourself hydrated fairly soon.
Milk is actually good for avoiding calcium stones. It's oxalate-rich foods that need to be reduced, like spinach, black beans, almonds. The calcium in milk binds to oxylates before it reaches the kidneys, so it's highly recommended to drink at least four glasses a day in addition to 2 liters of water.

It will take what it takes.

if you have a medical, a single stone passed or retained in the bladder is CACI. A second one in the next 5 years gets more complex.

I've wondered if a trip to the theater to see, say, Top Gun, Maverick, with surround-sound, might help dissolve stones?

I've wondered if a trip to the theater to see, say, Top Gun, Maverick, with surround-sound, might help dissolve stones?

I’ve always wondered if hot tub jets on high or off-road motorcycling could serve as low-level lithotripsy to get the little buggers moving before they got too big.

Doing the flomax and wetting the screen at the bottom of a funnel. Nothing yet.

I’ve always wondered if hot tub jets on high or off-road motorcycling could serve as low-level lithotripsy to get the little buggers moving before they got too big.

There was a study that showed that roller coasters could help. So, it's not insane to ask...

DANG That picture hurts…off to chug water.

A king time ago I had some minor surgery, and my systems were having trouble getting going again after the anesthesia. Two large male nurses came into my room carrying a catheter. They said “I’m sorry sir, but if you don’t go to the bathroom we’re going to have to insert the catheter.”

That literally scared the p!ss out of me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back