Roll output from Garmin G5 to Century autopilot

Baron62

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Baron62
Any updates on Garmin adding a Roll output to the G5 AI? I need this for my Century 21 autpilot and my existing vacuum driven AI is starting to fail so I would much rather replace with a G5 AI.

Any updates on Garmin adding a Roll output to the G5 AI? I need this for my Century 21 autpilot and my existing vacuum driven AI is starting to fail so I would much rather replace with a G5 AI.

Did you contact Garmin?

Heading/course - yes. Attitude - no.

G5 is just the indicator, you'd need the GAD29B to take the CAN bus signal from the G5 and the GPS navigator (ARINC429) and interface it to the autopilot. GAD29B does support analog and digital (roll) commands.

Sent from my SM-T397U using Tapatalk

G5 is just the indicator, you'd need the GAD29B to take the CAN bus signal from the G5 and the GPS navigator (ARINC429) and interface it to the autopilot. GAD29B does support analog and digital (roll) commands.

Sent from my SM-T397U using Tapatalk

You're misunderstanding his question and no, it won't work. His autopilot relies on the attitude gyro for orientation, the G5 in any form cannot replace it.

I also have a Century AP (Altimatic III). You're going to need to fix your legacy ADI if you want your AP to continue working.

As far as the G5: no updates, no plans from Garmin, no reason to ever expect this will happen. I've asked twice and each time the answer was a flat "no, we're not planning to ever offer that functionality."

You might want to check with your Garmin dealer and ask if the new GAD-43(e) will work with your AP.

Back