Robin Williams

I never met Robin, and certainly can't guess what he was going through.

But all I know is...

Was the world a better and more humorous place with him in it? Yes.

RIP Robin
Yup...

Rational people gravitate toward rational explanations. I am guilty of same.

Another aspect we have not explored is the entertainer's lifestyle. All entertainers, be they movie stars or stand up comics, have an enormous amount of down time. They have month after month of unstructured free time, stretching before them, which gives them ample opportunity to become bored and/or overly insightful.

In my personal life, the craziest, most depressed, most self-destructive period ever was a six-month period after graduating from college in the middle of the severe recession of 1981. I literally had no structured life -- and it almost drove me insane.

That's when I learned that our grand parents were right: Idle hands ARE the devil's work. And too much time to ponder life is unhealthy.

Now, if I couldn't take six months of that, how does a guy like Robin Williams cope with decades of it? Obviously, it got to him.

I think it was Harrison Ford who was quoted as saying that being a movie star was incredibly unhealthy, mentally. It's why he threw himself into aviation and kept up his carpentry skills.

I'm between contracts right now, so I do far too much volunteer work and take/teach class over at the local university while I'm looking for the next gig. I'd go berserk otherwise.

Life: A sexually transmitted disease that is 100% fatal.
Had a trip to the ER a couple months ago and one of the intake questions is "do younhave thoughts of suicide or harminng someone?"

h*ll no....I want to see how bad JJAbrams screws up Star Wars next year!

And your pupils were noticably different and your were acting paranoid during these sinus disease events too???..

I have been around cocaine users and there is a combination of actions that can be observed... Put them all together and it paints a clear picture...

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, and swims like a duck... It is a friggin DUCK...:wink2:

Don't always believe what you see...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4369295407428

Had a trip to the ER a couple months ago and one of the intake questions is "do younhave thoughts of suicide or harminng someone?"

h*ll no....I want to see how bad JJAbrams screws up Star Wars next year!

I always laugh at this question. When I go to end it, think I am telling anybody. If you ask me I will smile and say..No way....The person who is going to end it will not say a word. The person who tells you wants help, the ones who don't want to die.

I always laugh at this question. When I go to end it, think I am telling anybody. If you ask me I will smile and say..No way....The person who is going to end it will not say a word. The person who tells you wants help, the ones who don't want to die.

Don't count on it.

Don't count on it.

It's pretty much true, occasionally it will be a last 'coin toss' to see if anybody actually gives a crap, but that isn't really a norm because they are still undecided. The people who call a suicide hotline are in need of compassion and counseling, that is why they are calling. The sad statement that makes is that person felt they had to threaten to kill themselves, our biggest cultural taboo, to get some compassion and counseling. Where does the defect lie that brings it to that condition?

Had dinner with a couple of friends (a married couple) last Saturday. The topic of Robin came up. We talked about him for a bit...then...

...the wife said...

"You know, I've always thought it would be a hoot to get laid by Robin. It'd be like having sex with five guys at one time."

I laughed until I cried...had to leave the table for a bit even.

And I'm confident that she's right! :goofy:

Had dinner with a couple of friends (a married couple) last Saturday. The topic of Robin came up. We talked about him for a bit...then...

...the wife said...

"You know, I've always thought it would be a hoot to get laid by Robin. It'd be like having sex with five guys at one time."

I laughed until I cried...had to leave the table for a bit even.

And I'm confident that she's right! :goofy:

:rofl:......:lol:.......:thumbsup:

Autopsy report came back, negative for drugs and alcohol. And I thought they wouldn't.

And further autopsy report was of dementia caused by Lewy Bodies, common in folks with Parkinson's Disease and which frequently presents with dementia, disorientation and hallucinations which furthers the idea that he most likely did not make a "conscious decision to kill himself that it was most likely caused by a disease which renders the sufferer unable to make "considered" decisions.

Didn't see that part. Fascinating. So he may not have "known what he was doing".

If I get a hallucinatory disease I can only hope the phantoms get me to whack myself. I'd hate to put anybody else through that.

If I get a hallucinatory disease I can only hope the phantoms get me to whack myself. I'd hate to put anybody else through that.

Agreed. Karen being a home health nurse, walked in on an early Alzheimer's patient who tried to off himself with a revolver but couldn't remember how to operate it that day. It was sitting on the table in front of him with the cylinder open and bullets on the table. He was staring at it, crying, saying he couldn't remember how to load it.

Cops called and after he ran off for an hour or two, he was carefully locked away by society in a secured facility until he could completely forget he was living in hell. Until then... Hell.

Made me a little sad for him that he didn't decide sooner.

Agreed. Karen being a home health nurse, walked in on an early Alzheimer's patient who tried to off himself with a revolver but couldn't remember how to operate it that day. It was sitting on the table in front of him with the cylinder open and bullets on the table. He was staring at it, crying, saying he couldn't remember how to load it.

Cops called and after he ran off for an hour or two, he was carefully locked away by society in a secured facility until he could completely forget he was living in hell. Until then... Hell.

Made me a little sad for him that he didn't decide sooner.

That's a pretty terrifying fate. I would never judge anyone that decided they didn't want to go down it. At some point you're a drain on yourself, society, and your family. It's sad that some cannot see that reality.

Back