Rivets?

Rich Holt

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Craver
I am not an A&P and have very little insight into the supply chain issues involved in that world. How hard are these rivets to get right now? Apparently, my AA5 needs about 7 of them, and work has been at a standstill for weeks awaiting the arrival of the mystical rivets.

NAS1097AD3 rivets

:sigh:

Do you know the length of the rivets you need? That spec is a shape and diameter spec, but doesn’t give length. If you know that, I might even have what you need.

The short answer is that a lot of RV builders will have these in shorter lengths and you should be able to buy them in bulk from Aircraft Spruce or other suppliers.

Do you know the length of the rivets you need? That spec is a shape and diameter spec, but doesn’t give length. If you know that, I might even have what you need.

The short answer is that a lot of RV builders will have these in shorter lengths and you should be able to buy them in bulk from Aircraft Spruce or other suppliers.

How long do you need them? All my normal suppliers are showing stock of the common lengths.

Oops. I forgot the -4 bit. 1/4"

Both Wicks and Aircraft Spruce have them and they look to be in stock. It is a very common rivet. Its about $8 for a 1/8 pound bag and they can likely overnight ship them to you. If your A&P is telling you there is a multiple week delay in getting rivets you may want to have a talk with him.

Both Wicks and Aircraft Spruce have them and they look to be in stock. It is a very common rivet. Its about $8 for a 1/8 pound bag and they can likely overnight ship them to you. If your A&P is telling you there is a multiple week delay in getting rivets you may want to have a talk with him.
I think I will. Now to get him to answer the phone.

I am hosed similar to OP, my situation is for a CMI alternator coupling. ACS took my money in January, then moved the delivery date from early Feb to April. Their website occasionally shows the item in stock, and every time I call with a fresh howl of protest -- only to be told the website is incorrect and they have no actual stock.

Maddening times.

only to be told the website is incorrect and they have no actual stock.
Over the last year or so I've called for availability on every aircraft part I've ordered regardless of what it is before I hit the "place order" button. Interesting times we are still in.

Pretty sure I've got a bunch of these. How many do you need?

Edit: Oops. Just re-read your post. I'll go check the toolbox. We commonly referred to those as "oops rivets", used when you accidentally oversized one #40 hole in a line of them... drill it out to #30 and use these. They don't have the holding power of a regular AN426-AD3 rivet due to the reduced head, but they look better than a single AN426-AD4 in a line of AD3s. I also found them to be really nice for mounting plate nuts.

I'll go see what I've got. I don't need them any more.

Last edited:
After an unannounced visit yesterday, I was able to corner the mech and get a few questions answered. The aircraft should be back on the flight line early next week. I have no words. Also, the company will not accept a CC for payment. I consulted the calendar, it still reads 2022.

"When one door opens, another one closes. Other than that, it's a great Cessna."

It looks like you've got what you need. In the future, if you have an EAA chapter near you, make a request to the president - I'm about 99.999% sure someone in your local chapter has them and can spare 7 rivets.

the company will not accept a CC for payment. I consulted the calendar, it still reads 2022.
FYI: regardless if its 2022 there are still a number of shops/businesses that do not accept CC due to the transaction costs and hassle in some cases. So unless you have a high volume of CC payments or your customers don't balk at pays the transaction fees then sure. I offered CC payments for 2 years at the request of my customers. But once I started adding $0.25 + 3% to their bills they decided check or cash was better so I drop the service.

FYI: regardless if its 2022 there are still a number of shops/businesses that do not accept CC due to the transaction costs and hassle in some cases. So unless you have a high volume of CC payments or your customers don't balk at pays the transaction fees then sure. I offered CC payments for 2 years at the request of my customers. But once I started adding $0.25 + 3% to their bills they decided check or cash was better so I drop the service.
"Loads of elevators play Celine Dion - that don't make it right."
-Fish

I guess I'm lucky, everyone I know at the Juneau airport is more than willing to share hardware as long as you replace it. If I don't have it Joe, Phil, tall Joe, Butch, Branden or Adam most likely does

Sounds like "we are short 7 rivets" was code for "we are short interest or time to complete the job" or "something more immediately-paying arrived and we dropped everything to chase the dollar and make rent, existing clients be damned and delayed"

Welcome to aviation :D

He's likely ordering from a place that gives him credit.

Back