Riddles and Brainteasers

Upon further analysis, I'd like to change my answer to 2/3 of an egg.

Explanation:
A chicken and a half laying an egg and a half in a day and a half means one chicken will lay one egg in a day and a half. Logic: say 2 chickens lay two eggs in 2 days. That means 1 chicken will lay one egg in 2 days. 3 chickens, 3 eggs, 3 days = 1 chicken 1 egg 3 days.

Now, if 1 chicken lays 1 egg in a day and a half, it will only lay 2/3 of an egg in 1 day.

Wrong.

If a chicken and a half lays an egg and a half in a day and a half the ratio can easily be seen if you simply double it. That turns it into 3 chickens laying 3 eggs in 3 days...ergo, 1 chicken lays 1 egg in 1 day.

Wrong.

If a chicken and a half lays an egg and a half in a day and a half the ratio can easily be seen if you simply double it. That turns it into 3 chickens laying 3 eggs in 3 days...ergo, 1 chicken lays 1 egg in 1 day.

Wait! If it takes 3 days for 3 chickens to lay 3 eggs, then it takes each chicken 3 days to lay each egg.

You have a 3 gallon jug and a 5 gallon jug. You need to measure out exactly 7 gallons of water. How do you do it?

You have a 3 gallon jug and a 5 gallon jug. You need to measure out exactly 7 gallons of water. How do you do it?

Fill the 5 gallon bucket, from it fill the 3gallon jug. Now take the remains of the 5 gal bucket into your vessel, refill it and dump it as well and you have 7 gallons.

Pour 5 gallons into your tally (where you're trying to get the 7), then fill the 5 gallon one again. Pour from the 5 gallon into the 3 gallon container, you are left with 2 in the 5 container. Pour these two into the tally, and you have 7.

Pour 5 gallons into your tally (where you're trying to get the 7), then fill the 5 gallon one again. Pour from the 5 gallon into the 3 gallon container, you are left with 2 in the 5 container. Pour these two into the tally, and you have 7.

Using ONLY the two Jugs... No temporary storage/vessel to put the water...

Same to you, Henning...

Using ONLY the two Jugs... No temporary storage/vessel to put the water...

Same to you, Henning...

Fine: Take the 5 gallon, fill the 3 gallon, dump it. Dump the rest of the 5 gal into the 3 then refill the 5, same same.

550 with a line over it means "Not 550" or rather "550 Not"

Screw it! The answer is to draw a small line turning one of the plus signs into a four, so

5 + 5 + 5 = 550

becomes

5 4 5 + 5= 550

Fill the 5 gallon jug and then pour into the 3 gallon jug until it's full. Now empty the 3 gallon jug and pour the 2 gallons left in the 5 gallon jug into the 3 gallon jug. Then fill the 5 gallon jug. You now have 7 gallons.

Cute, relates back to the OP.

It does and I like it.

btw, now I'm confused on the chicken question. It's poor form to ask a riddle and not know the answer and I'm afraid that's where I find myself...

A little help?

btw, now I'm confused on the chicken question. It's poor form to ask a riddle and not know the answer and I'm afraid that's where I find myself...

A little help?

First can we agree that if 3 chickens lay 3 eggs in 3 days, then each chicken takes 3 days to lay an egg?

By your interpretation 3 chickens, 3 eggs, 3 days = 1 chicken, 1 egg, 1 day means that each chicken can lay a egg in a day so 3 of them should lay 3 eggs in 1 day not 3.

Next, your assumption that you can double 1.5 chickens lay 1.5 eggs in 1.5 days is somewhat incorrect. If you double the number of chickens you'll double the output in the same amount of time. That is, double would be 3 chickens lay 3 eggs in 1.5 days.

Last edited:
First can we agree that if 3 chickens lay 3 eggs in 3 days, then each chicken takes 3 days to lay an egg?

By your interpretation 3 chickens, 3 eggs, 3 days = 1 chicken, 1 egg, 1 day means that each chicken can lay a egg in a day so 3 of them should lay 3 eggs in 1 day not 3.

Yup, my answer was off. You're free to work it out.

If a chicken and a half lay an egg and a half in a day and a half...how many eggs does one chicken lay in one day?
One egg every 36 hours per chicken. I'll submit that as more correct than trying to lay fractions of eggs every 24 hours.

Next, your assumption that you can double 1.5 chickens lay 1.5 eggs in 1.5 days is somewhat incorrect. If you double the number of chickens you'll double the output in the same amount of time. That is, double would be 3 chickens lay 3 eggs in 1.5 days.

But, which came first - the chicken or the egg?

fill the 5 gallon, use it to fill the 3, then empty the 3. Dump the 2 gallons remaining in the 5 into the empty 3, then refill the 5 and you have 7 gallons.
I haven't looked ahead yet...

But, which came first - the chicken or the egg?
Chicken, according to Genesis 1:21
So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

One egg every 36 hours per chicken. I'll submit that as more correct than trying to lay fractions of eggs every 24 hours.

I agree.

For what it's worth, the first time a saw this riddle it was -

If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how long will it take one chicken to lay one egg? Ans. A day and a half.

Chicken, according to Genesis 1:21
So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

Bingo, hence my question.

If you believe in Darwin, two birds mated and laid a mutated egg with a baby chicken inside.

Back