Riddles and Brainteasers

A mother and her little girl are working in the kitchen. the mother is letting the girl perform a function for her, but the girl has questions: "Mommy which is bigger...90 or 130??"
The mother replies: "They're both equal"
What they doing?

Cooking - 90 minutes = 1 hour 30 minutes

A mother and her little girl are working in the kitchen. the mother is letting the girl perform a function for her, but the girl has questions: "Mommy which is bigger...90 or 130??"
The mother replies: "They're both equal"
What they doing?
That's sexist and politically incorrect. :popcorn::rolleyes2::rofl:

a classic.

Three guests check into a hotel room. The clerk says the bill is $30, so each guest pays $10. Later the clerk realizes the bill should only be $25. To rectify this, he gives the bellhop $5 to return to the guests. On the way to the room, the bellhop realizes that he cannot divide the money equally. As the guests didn't know the total of the revised bill, the bellhop decides to just give each guest $1 and keep $2 for himself.
Now that each of the guests has been given $1 back, each has paid $9, bringing the total paid to $27. The bellhop has $2. If the guests originally handed over $30, what happened to the remaining $1?

You don't add the $2 to the 9 times 3. You SUBTRACT it.

3 guys paid 9 dollars. 3 times nine is 27. Now subtract the 2 dollar tip and you get 25. That's the money spent prior to the change and the tip.

I tear down mountains and build up tall buildings. I help old men see. What am I?

a classic.

Three guests check into a hotel room. The clerk says the bill is $30, so each guest pays $10. Later the clerk realizes the bill should only be $25. To rectify this, he gives the bellhop $5 to return to the guests. On the way to the room, the bellhop realizes that he cannot divide the money equally. As the guests didn't know the total of the revised bill, the bellhop decides to just give each guest $1 and keep $2 for himself.
Now that each of the guests has been given $1 back, each has paid $9, bringing the total paid to $27. The bellhop has $2. If the guests originally handed over $30, what happened to the remaining $1?
State and local taxes.:D

Actually there's no exta $1, the clerk has 25 the bellhop 2 for a total of 27 which equals the 3x9 paid by the guests.

You don't add the $2 to the 9 times 3. You SUBTRACT it.

3 guys paid 9 dollars. 3 times nine is 27. Now subtract the 2 dollar tip and you get 25. That's the money spent prior to the change and the tip.

I tear down mountains and build up tall buildings. I help old men see. What am I?

Beat me to it.

Sand?

Depends on what you're calling a corner and how the top transitions to the edges among other things. For instance if the edges are round and the radius of the edges equals half the top's thickness the only corners before cutting are the four viewed from above and the cut adds 1. But if the edges are flat you start out with 12 "corners" and the cut adds 3.
This works better with a diagram, I'll admit. By "plain" I meant a slab; edges are at a right angle to the upper and lower surfaces.
You are probably right that it starts at 12, although the corners as seen from above and below should count, too, so it would be 20 total. :D
I've never actually taken the corners along the sides into account, though, or where the edge transitions around each corner, so my answer- 8 to start, then 10- is also incorrect. :rolleyes: :D

Let me try to redeem myself: how many corners does a perfect (2-dimensional) circle have?

What is the proper way to pronounce the capital of Kentucky?
a) Louey-ville
b) Louis-ville

Two men are standing together and one says, "Brothers and sisters I have none, but this man's father is my father's son." What relation are they?

If a chicken and a half lay an egg and a half in a day and a half...how many eggs does one chicken lay in one day?

Get your calculators out!

A record (they're black vinyl disks that contain music) is 12" in diameter with a 4" diameter label in the center. A groove (that contains the music) spirals into the center until it gets to the label. There are 50 grooves per inch. How far does the needle travel from the beginning of the record to the end?

(Sorry for all the parentheses, but there are probably a lot on the board that have never seen a record. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LP_record)

Last edited:

A record (they're black vinyl disks that contain music) is 12" in diameter with a 4" diameter label in the center. A groove (that contains the music) spirals into the center until it gets to the label. There are 50 grooves per inch. How far does the needle travel from the beginning of the record to the end?

(Sorry for all the parentheses, but there are probably a lot on the board that have never seen a record. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LP_record)

2,181 feet.

If, in a vacum, a bullet is shot straight up the bullet travels up and up until it stops and falls back to earth. The bullet lands next to the gun that shot it. At what velocity does the bullet strike the ground?

- Less than the speed leaving the barrel?

- Same speed as leaving the barrel?

- Greater speed than leaving the barrel?

If, in a vacum, a bullet is shot straight up the bullet travels up and up until it stops and falls back to earth. The bullet lands next to the gun that shot it. At what velocity does the bullet strike the ground?

- Less than the speed leaving the barrel?

- Same speed as leaving the barrel?

- Greater speed than leaving the barrel?

In a vacuum, it will pass the end of the barrel at the same speed it left. Since gravity is still acting on it for the rest of the fall, it will be going slightly faster by the time it hits the ground. (Assuming you didn't bury the firearm so the end of the barrel is at ground level.)

But if it's in a vacuum, nobody would be alive to pull the trigger let alone prove this theory.

Last edited:

About 4 inches.

In a vacuum, it will pass the end of the barrel at the same speed it left. Since gravity is still acting on it for the rest of the fall, it will be going slightly faster by the time it hits the ground. (Assuming you didn't bury the firearm so the end of the barrel is at ground level.)

But if it's in a vacuum, nobody would be alive to pull the trigger let alone prove this theory.

Correct!

Ding Ding Ding!!!!:)

Slightly over 4 since it's traveling in an arc.

grrrrr, I thought you were looking for the distance traveled on the record. You did say..."how far does the needle travel' so...good question sir!

I'm going to need more explanation.

From the outer edge of the record to the inner edge the needle only travels 4 inches. The record spins and the distance traveled on the record is over 2,000 feet, but the lateral distance traveled by the needle is only 4".

Uh, I had a different answer. Maybe you could explain your answers?

Upon further analysis, I'd like to change my answer to 2/3 of an egg.

Explanation:
A chicken and a half laying an egg and a half in a day and a half means one chicken will lay one egg in a day and a half. Logic: say 2 chickens lay two eggs in 2 days. That means 1 chicken will lay one egg in 2 days. 3 chickens, 3 eggs, 3 days = 1 chicken 1 egg 3 days.

Now, if 1 chicken lays 1 egg in a day and a half, it will only lay 2/3 of an egg in 1 day.

From the outer edge of the record to the inner edge the needle only travels 4 inches. The record spins and the distance traveled on the record is over 2,000 feet, but the lateral distance traveled by the needle is only 4".

What he said. ^^
The question wasn't how far does the needle travel relative to the record. It was how far does the needle travel. It goes from the edge of the record to the label. (6 inch radius to the 2 inch radius = 4 inches) It's actually a little bit more since the needle is traveling in an arc, but since I didn't tell you the length of the tone arm, you are unable to determine the exact distance. 4" is close enough for goverment purposes.

A traveller comes to a fork in the road which leads to two villages. In one village the people always tell lies, and in the other village the people always tell the truth. The traveller needs to conduct business in the village where everyone tells the truth. A man from one of the villages is standing in the middle of the fork, but there is no indication of which village he is from. The traveller approaches the man and asks him one question. From the villager's answer, he knows which road to follow. What did the traveller ask?

Where is the nearest ****er?

Upon further analysis, I'd like to change my answer to 2/3 of an egg.

Explanation:
A chicken and a half laying an egg and a half in a day and a half means one chicken will lay one egg in a day and a half. Logic: say 2 chickens lay two eggs in 2 days. That means 1 chicken will lay one egg in 2 days. 3 chickens, 3 eggs, 3 days = 1 chicken 1 egg 3 days.

Now, if 1 chicken lays 1 egg in a day and a half, it will only lay 2/3 of an egg in 1 day.

Except that a chicken can't lay only 2/3 of an egg. So it either lays one egg or no eggs.

Back