reverting to an earlier W&B

172Pusher

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
172Pusher
Can someone lmk, through a reg preferably, about the ability to use a previous W&B?

I'm sure planes with removable floats and skis do this all the time, right?

Thank you for the assistance

My first Commander had two W&B, both current, one with oxygen tanks etc on board and one without. My present Commander has two W&B, one normal and a second one when I have the station wagon mod in use, that is with rear seats remover and platform installed. I would imagine that float planes to the same thing.

Life is a barrel of fun.

Ken

Can someone lmk, through a reg preferably, about the ability to use a previous W&B?
There's no specific regulation on empty weight and balance but there is an FAA Handbook that provides guidance on this. Regardless the empty weight balance can be recomputed at any time to include using previous values so long as an entry is made in the mx record by an AP indicating which
empty weight is current.

Most pilots who go through seasonal configuration/equipment changes such as wheels to floats to wheels to skis and back again will have a weight and balance in their plane for each configuration. They just need to be clearly marked which they are for so you do not inadvertently use the wrong one. Usually the STC, i.e. for floats, will have instructions in it to switch back an forth. When I am discussing floats here, I am referring to straight floats. Most float plane owners typically do not switch back and forth if they have amphibs.

If the previous one says “superseded” on it, you’ll have to make up a new one with the same numbers and have it signed off.

Back