Returning to the Airlines

My understanding was that Delta twisted Pinnacle's arm to buy Mesaba and then when Pinnacle went bankrupt as a result, Delta stepped in and played savior.

Sounds about right. Don't recall how it went down exactly but Big D was definitely playing unfairly, the ****ing bullies! :)

Because I like flying planes! Lol

You can still fly them just don't select the autopilot. :D If you do just make airplane noises!!

How is Boutique? I'd would have pegged you as a bush guy. I was surprised when you left the great white north!

My understanding was that Delta twisted Pinnacle's arm to buy Mesaba and then when Pinnacle went bankrupt as a result, Delta stepped in and played savior.
I know someone who went through the Mesaba > Pinnacle > Endeavor transition, quit, and has a really bad taste for the airlines, even though with quite a bit of jet PIC, the majors are probably not out of reach.

I know someone who went through the Mesaba > Pinnacle > Endeavor transition, quit, and has a really bad taste for the airlines, even though with quite a bit of jet PIC, the majors are probably not out of reach.

I was in Maintenance Control at Pinnacle in MEM during some of that turmoil. When they decided to move from MEM to MSP, I left and it wasn't just due to the move. The entire organization was becoming dysfunctional or so it seemed to me.

Everyone handles things differently. Kind of like PTSD from combat. Some are more affected than others. I have a fellow department head in my reserve unit that was originally Mesaba and now Endeavor. He didn't sugar coat the experience, but didn't let bitterness get the better of him. He is finally upgrading to Captain after something like 10 years as FO.

Everyone handles things differently. Kind of like PTSD from combat. Some are more affected than others. I have a fellow department head in my reserve unit that was originally Mesaba and now Endeavor. He didn't sugar coat the experience, but didn't let bitterness get the better of him. He is finally upgrading to Captain after something like 10 years as FO.
Yeah, but I get the feeling that it was not originally this individual's dream to work at an airline. Sometimes following others' advice doesn't work so well.

I was in Maintenance Control at Pinnacle in MEM during some of that turmoil. When they decided to move from MEM to MSP, I left and it wasn't just due to the move. The entire organization was becoming dysfunctional or so it seemed to me.

Damn 'Dog, I used to fly in and out of MEM all the time when I was with ASA. I would've bought you lunch of that overrated MEM BBQ if I had known! ;)

Crazy. Now upgrades are basically as soon as you hit 1000 hours of company time which could be 1 year if you work hard. They are even filling captain vacancies for guys with previous 135/91K. We first upgrade people the people with 1000 hours of company time then if we can't fill the vacancies, we'll pick from 135/91K time. If this keeps going I'll be a captain by 24 or 25:eek:

Right place at the right time jordane. Then you won't get stuck with the ugly one, or uglier of the two. :D

Crazy. Now upgrades are basically as soon as you hit 1000 hours of company time which could be 1 year if you work hard. They are even filling captain vacancies for guys with previous 135/91K. We first upgrade people the people with 1000 hours of company time then if we can't fill the vacancies, we'll pick from 135/91K time. If this keeps going I'll be a captain by 24 or 25:eek:
The person I'm thinking of made captain at a fairly young age too, then got downgraded after a few years when things started going backwards and the mergers/takeovers happened.

The person I'm thinking of made captain at a fairly young age too, then got downgraded after a few years when things started going backwards and the mergers/takeovers happened.
I flew with a captain a few trips ago who was 27 and he's got a class date at Delta through the SSP sometime next year.

Damn 'Dog, I used to fly in and out of MEM all the time when I was with ASA. I would've bought you lunch of that overrated MEM BBQ if I had known! ;)

Come on, MEM BBQ ain't too bad. I am enjoying Carolina BBQ more though.

Bama BBQ! Most of it tomato based, which I prefer. But I'll eat just about any BBQ and brew!

I flew with a captain a few trips ago who was 27 and he's got a class date at Delta through the SSP sometime next year.
Timing is everything. But so is knowing when something is not for you.

If the sum of the pilots' ages is less than mine can I ride jumpseat to keep the youngsters in line? (okay, I'd not have a clue what was going on with system management but I could shut down the strip club talk that gets'em all distracted).

It seems to me that trying to figure out the future on a 30+ year horizon is foolish in *any* industry, let alone the airlines. Enjoy the job, save some money, and have a plan B in your back pocket. I think this is just as valid if you're working for Google as it is being a pilot for Delta.
"IT" was the golden career 30 years ago. It still is-- if you are on a H1B.

If the sum of the pilots' ages is less than mine can I ride jumpseat to keep the youngsters in line? (okay, I'd not have a clue what was going on with system management but I could shut down the strip club talk that gets'em all distracted).
Just randomly point in the cockpit and say, "auto."

That's your systems management.

Delta hired a 23 year old either this year or last year. That person is set for life!

Back