Retinal detachment?

pilotjlr

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
james
Good morning,
My wife is considering getting a PPL. She's been a passenger only with me up until this point.

About a year ago, during a routine eye exam, the doctor saw that one eye's retina was detaching. She had no symptoms or vision loss, which they found strange. It was fortunate the eye exam caught this early. Literally that evening, she went in for retinal reattachment surgery. At this point, she's back to 20/20 (corrected) in both and is otherwise fine.

If she were to go in for a 3rd class medical, I believe an 8500-7 report is needed from the eye surgeon. Does anyone know how big of a deal would her getting a medical be? Would she be looking at a SODA or SI, or is this just a matter of getting the right paperwork done in advance?

Thanks!

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/detached-retina.54812/

Scroll down to Dr. Bruce's reply.

The OP needs:
Record of the cartaract operation(s).
Record of the Laser Operation.
Current Humphrey visual fields, both eyes.
8500-7 filled in by the opthalmologist.

If the VFs are substantailly altered, the OP gets issued "valid for student purposes only" and gets his training through Long XC, and then referred for an operational checkride with the FSDO (about 0.3, you sight traffic, do the emerg. approach to landing, land) and then are issued a waiver and an unlimited medical certificate.
end quote

As noted above mostly just paperwork as long as the field of view isn’t affected. Forms filled out in advance is definitely the way to go.

She will need a current set of Humphrey 24-2 or 30-2 visual fields, and a form 8500-7 filled out by the ophthalmologist. The fields will need to be substantially normal.

Attachments

• Humphrey(de-identified)05.21.14.pdf
    36.5 KB · Views: 206
  • 8500-7.pdf
    271 KB · Views: 166
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back