Detached retina

U

Unregistered

I have dreamed of flying since I was six years old. I joined the Civil Air Patrol and then the Marine Corps while chasing my dream of flying. I managed to solo several times between military moves, college degree and finally a new civilian career but never finished my private pilot's certificate. In the mean time, I have been building a four place canard aircraft that is finally getting close to complete. It would appear that all of my dreams are finally coming to be a reality. Then three years ago, I was diagnosed with a cataract in my right eye that was obscuring 30% of my vision. I had that taken care of after a year of investigation and the doctor implanted a Interocular Lens. My vision after the operation was 20/25 in the left eye and 20/30 in the right eye without corrective lens. Then in September I was diagnosed with a torn and detached retina (probably as a result of the cataract surgery) and I had surgery to repair that. My vision appears to be 20/25 in the left eye and maybe 20/70 in the right eye. I say appears because my sight in the right eye is still improving.
I am very frustrated at the prospect of trying to get a third class medical. All my life people have told me what I can't do for one reason or another yet I have overcome every obstacle thus far. I understand that regulations are in place to protect the me and the public but I truly wonder if this nation achieved greatness by "government protection". I am actually thinking about not listing the detached retina on the application for the third class medical. I understand the legal risks I am taking.

I am actually thinking about not listing the detached retina on the application for the third class medical. I understand the legal risks I am taking.

You're not going to win any support here for doing the highlighted.

Plus, since you have already gone through some treatment related to this, it's on the various medical databases. FAA medical and their QA process are going to put this fact and the fact you lied on the application together and you will be subject to the appropriate enforcement, up to and possibly including denial of ALL flying privileges.

If you want to spend/waste all that money for training and then have your ticket pulled forever, your choice.

But most of us will choose not to support your effort. Enjoy.

Why post about it? If you're in the habit of lying, nothing we say is going to stop that. What's the question or desired result of the posting, other than trolling?

On the off-chance that this isn't a troll (I really did dream of flying since the age of six -- maybe earlier), I have three points:
1. Unless you can see 20/40 in each eye separately, you aren't passing a Third Class medical -- 20/70 in the bad eye is ground for denial.
2. Do you really think the AME won't be able to tell your eye was repaired when s/he examines you?
3. Do you really understand that if you are caught in this lie, you will lose every FAA ticket you ever had, and be banned from flying, and can even go to jail?

I have a good friend who suffered a traumatic head injury which produced complete blindness in one eye and a loss of peripheral vision in the other. He's was able to demonstrate proficiency and get a third medical. So, it can be done with one good (or even not-so-good) eye.

Truly wasn't trolling....I just know that the comments on the internet tend to be more honest (asking EAA friends gets me a mixed bag of answers).

I guess the reason I am so cynical is that I just spent nearly $200k to complete the plans to build a house and it seems as if the government was in the way at every step. We haven't even started construction. The result of that experience has turned me into someone that distrusts government at every level.

I am very fearful that listing the detached retina will simply result in sending a lot of money getting lots of tests only to be denied in the end. I hold a DoD TS clearance as well as a "other governmental agency" TS that required a polygraph so I know the capability of the FAA to reference databases.

None the less, the brutally honest feedback will force me to do it the right way. I still think I am going to end up denied and lose any chance of flying including LSA. Then I can really be cynical.

You need to hire an AME who knows what they're doing and listen to a pro vs listening to friends. Don't choose just any AME, find one who's gotten someone through the process.

You need to hire an AME who knows what they're doing and listen to a pro vs listening to friends. Don't choose just any AME, find one who's gotten someone through the process.

Unfortunately the one we are are all thinking of isn't going to be too impressed with how this thread started.

I am very fearful that listing the detached retina will simply result in sending a lot of money getting lots of tests only to be denied in the end.
Then what you should be asking here is what's involved in returning to flight status after a detached retina procedure. The guy you want to talk with is Dr. Bruce Chien, an AME specializing in difficult pilot medical certifications, and a member of the medical advisory committees for both AOPA and the Federal Air Surgeon. Unfortunately, Bruce is off this board for a while because too many people annoyed him. If you are an AOPA member, you can go to the AOPA Forums board and get him there. You can also visit his web site to get contact information and contact him directly.
http://home.comcast.net/~bbchien/site/

Unfortunately the one we are are all thinking of isn't going to be too impressed with how this thread started.

I dunno... isn't that a little harsh? I mean, would OP be the first person to ultimately do the right thing after having thought about doing the wrong thing?

-Rich

My father had a detached retina and still has a third class medical. I think he had it after he retired as an airline pilot, but I don't remember, I'd have to ask him. Anyway, he still has a third class.

Good catch, Nate... I didn't catch the "since 6 yrs old" and other potential troll indicators in the first few sentences.

How is that an indicator of trolling?

Sometimes I think people have a really good imagination when it comes to spotting "trolls."

I dunno... isn't that a little harsh? I mean, would OP be the first person to ultimately do the right thing after having thought about doing the wrong thing?

Thought crimes do seem to be a hanging offense around here.

My reply was more meant as a "snap out of it" response than a judgement on him. Stating that you'll break the law to fly, creates a problem for the responders. Just explain the situation and ask for help. Don't make me an accomplice.

I want to take a minute an thank everyone for the advice. I have to admit that I type my first question in a moment of frustration without thinking through the situation. The funny thing is that the chief test pilot at the company I work for was the one that suggested to me to "don't tell the AME anything, just 'fog' the mirror". In hind sight, I think what I should have asked the members of this board was what was the process to get a third class medical considering the detached retina. For those that "slapped" me straight, thank you. We all need to get told honestly when we are about to do something dumb (and illegal).

I am going to register on the board and that way everyone knows who I am (and not a troll) and I will let everyone know the results of my examination, good or bad. Some dreams just never work out in life. Hopefully this one will.

If the detachment is fixed and that eye is correctable to at least 20/40, this layman sees no reason you shouldn't get issued. But again, contacting Bruce Chien for advice before you fill out a medical application would be most prudent. I think that will help ensure you get what you want, and you have my best wishes in that endeavor.

And as for that knucklehead who told you to lie on that application, you might not want to take any further advice from him/her.

Last edited:
contacting Bruce Chien for advice before you fill out a medical application would be most prudent.

Big agreement here. You can find him at www.aeromedicaldoc.com

Bruce can layout the steps needed to achieve success. What doctor to see, what documentation to obtain, what the documentation should say, etc. Once he provides that, follow it to a "T" and don't deviate or get extra creative.

And as for that knucklehead who told you to lie on that application, you might not want to take any further advice from him/her.

:yeahthat:

I just can't stand seeing a string like this.

The OP needs:
Record of the cartaract operation(s).
Record of the Laser Operation.
Current Humphrey visual fields, both eyes.
8500-7 filled in by the opthalmologist.

If the VFs are substantailly altered, the OP gets issued "valid for student purposes only" and gets his training through Long XC, and then referred for an operational checkride with the FSDO (about 0.3, you sight traffic, do the emerg. approach to landing, land) and then are issued a waiver and an unlimited medical certificate.

Use email from this site- I will be a bit slow responding as I am travelling....

sigh.
Do NOT lie. Uncle will make you regret you were ever born.

DO NOT APPLY until somebody knowledgable sees your file. As things are right now, you can fly a Champ, a Porterfield, some Ercoupes....without a medical. "LSA" is at stake.

Please consider me still on POA leave. I just couldn't stand seeing this string :(

Last edited:
Dr. Bruce, it is nice to see you posting. Your contributions are always of interest to me.

Research Light Sport Aircraft. No medical needed provided not previously turned down.

This week I was given a medical with 20/25 (correctable to 20/20) in one eye, and 20/400 (being very optimistic) in the other. It was a long, frustrating, bureaucratic process, but I can now go about an aviation career knowing that I have a legitimate medical and no fear that I'll be discovered for something I've hidden.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back