Retaking knowledge test for higher score.

I left my cheat sheet at home.??

The guy next to me kept his paper covered with his hand.??

I taped an answer sheet to the window sill and when I went to open the window I discovered a bird had crapped all over it.??

I only payed someone 10 bucks to take the test for me.??

I mean give me a break, it was multiple guess. How would I know there would be more than 1 answer for each question.??

I was looking for the T or F...

:lol:
At least you didn’t program your calculator to give random numbers from one to four, and only got 10% right.

make the excuse topical…blame Covid-19 and/or the vaccine

They also say that about Doctors but do you want that Doctor doing your heart surgery?
I guess that would depend on what test he got the 70 on. If it was a Shakespeare elective, I’d be okay with it. If it was a cardiology course, no.

I guess that would depend on what test he got the 70 on. If it was a Shakespeare elective, I’d be okay with it. If it was a cardiology course, no.
It’s not so much the heart surgery as the “ well, that heart rate issue that we took you out of rehab and put you back in the ER for 3 days ago, and were planning on a procedure for this morning? It’s not actually a problem. We’re going to discharge you. Schedule something with your cardiologist. And here’s a complementary case of COVID,” that my FIL got yesterday.

83 is not a bad score....53 is a bad score.

My big complaint is that these days with all the test prep software, you can score 100 by just memorizing the correct answers and not understand a darn thing about the subject matter.

83 is not a bad score....53 is a bad score.

My big complaint is that these days with all the test prep software, you can score 100 by just memorizing the correct answers and not understand a darn thing about the subject matter.
It was that way when I did my Private written 40 years ago, except it was memorizing answers from a book.

It was that way when I did my Private written 40 years ago, except it was memorizing answers from a book.
When I took mine, the FAA was publishing the actual question set, so a lot of people indeed just memorized all (or enough) answers.

In fact, even though I had my license by then, I took a "Private Pilot Aeronautics" course in college for science credit. Many of the students had no interest in flying or aeronautics, but took it because the final was questions from the PP written, so it was seen as an easy A. They'd memorize as many questions and answers as possible without even knowing what they meant.

My memory was never that good, so I was stuck actually learning the material.

When I took mine, the FAA was publishing the actual question set, so a lot of people indeed just memorized all (or enough) answers.

In fact, even though I had my license by then, I took a "Private Pilot Aeronautics" course in college for science credit. Many of the students had no interest in flying or aeronautics, but took it because the final was questions from the PP written, so it was seen as an easy A. They'd memorize as many questions and answers as possible without even knowing what they meant.

Did you have to actually attend class and take the final?

Sometimes memorizing answers to questions is basically the same as learning the underlying material. Other times it is not.

For instance, a question that asks you which regulation has such and such requirement and gives you the correct answer plus three bogus ones can actually teach you the information. And even if it doesn’t, not having that knowledge at most can make you non compliant and upset the FAA.

On the other hand, memorizing answers to questions that should require calculating performance, weight & balance, crosswind component, etc. does not teach you the required skills. And not having those skills can have more disastrous results.

OP, don't tell this to your AME. He'll think it's evidence of ADHD or obsessive compulsive and defer...

OP, don't tell this to your AME. He'll think it's evidence of ADHD or obsessive compulsive and defer...

I've been thinking the same thing (or OCD) but was hesitant to say it ... :biggrin:

They also say that about Doctors but do you want that Doctor doing your heart surgery?

I got 100% on my instrument written and have .2 in actual. Can I borrow your plane for an IFR flight to the coast? The field is overcast at 700' and my plane doesn't have a GPS. :)

I got 100% on my instrument written and have .2 in actual. Can I borrow your plane for an IFR flight to the coast? The field is overcast at 700' and my plane doesn't have a GPS. :)

sure, you just have to leave a deposit

Jack Ryan : Uh, my pilot and I will have to take it for a test drive.
Helicopter owner : Of course, you just have to leave a deposit.
Jack Ryan : How much is that?
Helicopter owner : Two million dollars.

:)

I did all my written stuff in the 90s when it was memorizing the answers. I would sit on the computer with the gliem disk and bang out the sections over and over.

I did my actual private written in 10 minutes. My commercial was maybe 15 minutes. Always scored high 90s.

I did all my written stuff in the 90s when it was memorizing the answers. I would sit on the computer with the gliem disk and bang out the sections over and over.

I did my actual private written in 10 minutes. My commercial was maybe 15 minutes. Always scored high 90s.
Yeah, I’ve always regretted losing that extra 5 minutes by not memorizing the answers.

This memorizing test answers conversation sort of makes me understand why we get so many basic questions on here that pilots should know.

This memorizing test answers conversation sort of makes me understand why we get so many basic questions on here that pilots should know.
In fairness, the FAA seems to be schizophrenic about rote memorization. Fundamentals of Instruction, I'm looking at you.

Question 1: What is the worst way to learn anything?
Correct answer: Rote memorization.

Questions 2-50: Which of the following words did you rote-memorize as having been arbitrarily associated with <concept>.

In fairness, the FAA seems to be schizophrenic about rote memorization. Fundamentals of Instruction, I'm looking at you.

Question 1: What is the worst way to learn anything?
Correct answer: Rote memorization.

Questions 2-50: Which of the following words did you rote-memorize as having been arbitrarily associated with <concept>.

I dunno; works pretty well for learning state capitals, reigns of British monarchs, song lyrics, Morse code, elements of the periodic table, the resistor color code, et cetera ad nauseum.

I’m sorry to hear that, but please allow POA to make it up to you.

So how about it? What’s your excuse for such a low passing score? What were your weak areas? And why should we trust such a marginal passee with the lives of paying passengers?

;)
You forgot, you should fire your CFI:D

Just a thought. Maybe the 83 is actually better than a 100. If you show up with an 83, you know what the examiner will dig deeper into, so you know ahead of time and can prepare. If you show up with a really high score, then you don't know what he is going to ask, so you can't be as prepared.
My dad was a CPA. He always said to make some minor error so if you get an audit, it will satisfy the auditor's "must find something" attitude. If there are no problems, the auditor would keep digging until he found something.

Just a thought. Maybe the 83 is actually better than a 100. If you show up with an 83, you know what the examiner will dig deeper into, so you know ahead of time and can prepare. If you show up with a really high score, then you don't know what he is going to ask, so you can't be as prepared.
My dad was a CPA. He always said to make some minor error so if you get an audit, it will satisfy the auditor's "must find something" attitude. If there are no problems, the auditor would keep digging until he found something.

That's along the same line of thinking that you should always carry some cash so if you get robbed you have something to give so they won't take your life ...

That's along the same line of thinking that you should always carry some cash so if you get robbed you have something to give so they won't take your life ...

And when flying commercial, you should always carry a bomb to stay safe. What are the odds of two bombs being on the same airplane?

And when flying commercial, you should always carry a bomb to stay safe. What are the odds of two bombs being on the same airplane?

Don't misunderstand. I don't generally carry cash ...

Same thing with building inspectors. I heard that from a building inspector. There was some little thing, don't remember, but I hadn't done it on purpose. He say's, chuckling, "yeah, leave something for the inspector to find."

I have a student who is working on his commercial certificate. He studied hard for the knowledge test and before I made the endorsment I had him take two practice test. One from the FAA site and the other from Shepard Air. He made mid to upper 90's on the practice test's so endorsement was issued. He came back with a score of 83. He was disappointed and wants to retake the test so he can get a better score. I know he needs to wait 30 days and just return to the testing center with his knowledge test report and he can take the test again. The last test taken will be the score used. The problem is he wants to make his way to the Airlines someday and I'm wondering how this will look on his PRIA. Does the FAA list the tests that were taken with the score and with there being two tests taken for the same certificate or rating would it look as if he might have failed the first one. I would welcome anyone's experience or advice with this. Thanks.
a pass is pass

good landing vs great landing

both you walk a way from

Back