Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit

birdus

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Williams
How in the world does anyone know how to apply for this thing? I'm on the FCC page and don't even understand any of the questions they're asking me. Apparently, I need this if I'm going to fly into Canada (which I intend to do). Can anyone help??? (there's even more than I listed here, as there are multiple pages)

Thanks,
Jay

General Information
Application Type
Developmental License
Demonstration License
Not Applicable
Special Temporary Authorization (STA)
Authorization Expiration Date (optional)
MM/DD
Regulatory Status
Common Carrier
Non-Common Carrier
Private, internal communications
Broadcast Services
Band Manager
Type of Radio Service
Fixed
Mobile
Radiolocation
Satellite (sound)
Broadcast Services
Does the Applicant propose to provide service interconnected to the public telephone network?
Yes

No
Attachments
Are attachments (other than associated schedules) being filed with this application?
Yes

No
Fees and Exemptions
Is the Applicant exempt from FCC application fees?
Yes

No
Is the Applicant exempt from FCC regulatory fees?
Yes

No
Waivers
Does this application include a request for a Waiver of the Commission’s Rule(s)?
Yes

No
Are the frequencies or parameters requested in this filing covered by grandfathered privileges, previously approved by waiver, or functionally integrated with an existing station?
Yes

No
Receipt Date (MM/DD/YY)

One option is to not bother with it. Check with some other folks, but no one seems to ever ask for it.

I remember it being a PITA. I have some scribbled notes but not much to help u with. also, I called them up and got some help, if I recall. I think one or both of these forms were needed.

form 605
form 159

Submit FCC Form 605 along with the appropriate original Proof of Passing Certificate(s) (for the requisite written and/or telegraphy examination element(s)) to apply for a commercial operator license.

There is one EXCEPTION: You do NOT have to submit a Proof of Passing Certificate when applying for a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit (RR).

Most Commercial Operator License Examination Managers (COLEMs) file these documents for applicants who test with them. Ask your COLEM if it provides this service to its
customers.

https://www.fcc.gov/obtaining-license

I got mine in 1962 and NOBODY has EVER asked to see it!! But the only time you should require it is as you cross the border coming back to the USA. You don't need it in CONUS.

I've had a Second Class (and later a General) Radio Telephone LIcense since I was in college. Still, I got a restricted (back when it was free) because the 141 school I was at insisted I had to have that. I have no idea where that card went. Other than that school, I've never had to show it to anybody. A few years back when the FCC rejiggered the licenses again, I took the Radiotelegraph Operators Test, so I have one of those now. Either one suffices for operating aviation stations. I've got them all taped up in my office (much like the current airworthiness certificates the "official" copy comes to you as a PDF) along with my Amateur Extra class license (got back when you had to do 20WPM code which they did give me credit for on the commercial).

I no longer have the station license for the Navion either. For the first few years I was on our flying club's fleet license.

It's only needed for outside the US operations officially and nobody outside the US knows or cares about it.

I've had a Second Class (and later a General) Radio Telephone LIcense since I was in college. Still, I got a restricted (back when it was free) because the 141 school I was at insisted I had to have that. I have no idea where that card went. Other than that school, I've never had to show it to anybody. A few years back when the FCC rejiggered the licenses again, I took the Radiotelegraph Operators Test, so I have one of those now. Either one suffices for operating aviation stations. I've got them all taped up in my office (much like the current airworthiness certificates the "official" copy comes to you as a PDF) along with my Amateur Extra class license (got back when you had to do 20WPM code which they did give me credit for on the commercial).

I no longer have the station license for the Navion either. For the first few years I was on our flying club's fleet license.

It's only needed for outside the US operations officially and nobody outside the US knows or cares about it.

I got my GROL while I was working at the repair depot at Paine field. I never even thought about it meeting the Canadian requirements for US pilots. If true, that RROL is just one less thing I have to go get. :)

Yep, you can use your PG (GROL) or RT (Telegraph) license instead of the restricted. The restricted was always intended as a dumbed down version of the Third Class Phone. I started with the Third Class Phone and Broadcast Endorsement back when the FCC required it for radio stations. Shortly after I got it, they decided to deregulate all that (leaving it up to the station licensee to assess your qualifications). The FAA is one of the few reasons the GROL even still exists. For most FCC purposes, it isn't required.

I got mine in 1962 and NOBODY has EVER asked to see it!! But the only time you should require it is as you cross the border coming back to the USA. You don't need it in CONUS.
You need it on all international flights. Foreign authorities will expect to see it if you are ramp checked outside the US.

The only time I’ve every had to show it to someone was new hire training.

In that case, “here’s my radio license, sir”

7a8b6e9d7bfdc9a8b2449adf6cd207e6.jpg

I got the FCC Restricted Radio license in 1964 and I don't know where that little card is now. How would a person go about getting a copy of the license?

I got the FCC Restricted Radio license in 1964 and I don't know where that little card is now. How would a person go about getting a copy of the license?
From the link in post #10:
How to Obtain a License (RR)
Submit FCC Form 605. There is no proof of passing certificate requirement for an RR. Use the FCC Form 605 and the FCC Form 159 (fee processing form) to replace a lost, stolen, or mutilated license.

Agreed, it's not exactly straight-forward as to how to apply.
Just to be thorough, note that you're "supposed" to have both the Restricted Radio operators license (personal, in your name), and the aircraft license (by N-number), two separate licenses.

Agreed, it's not exactly straight-forward as to how to apply.
Just to be thorough, note that you're "supposed" to have both the Restricted Radio operators license (personal, in your name), and the aircraft license (by N-number), two separate licenses.
You need a station and operator license only if overseas or using something other than VHF. Otherwise, neither is required. A restricted meets the requirement of the operator license, but is not the only way. The aircraft STATION license doesn't necessarily have the N Number on it.

What the heck is this, and why would anyone want one?

What the heck is this, and why would anyone want one?
For years, a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit (at a minimum) and a Station License for the radios in your airplane were required documents when flying in the U.S.

Neither has been required for domestic flights in the U.S. for many years, but if you fly outside the U.S., most civil aviation authorities still require one or both.

Ah yes. The R in ARROW. Not flying out of US - won’t worry about it for now.

Neither has been required for domestic flights in the U.S. for many years, but if you fly outside the U.S., most civil aviation authorities still require one or both.

Actually, I think most don't know or care. The US law is that the exemption on the licenses applies only to domestic VHF use. Most foreign countries don't care about enforcing US regs. The biggest threat is likely some yahoo CBE agent who decides that you have to possess these required documents.

I had a dude a hand it to me during a ramp check as his first item. I went “uh....thanks but it’s not required. It looks good...??” He then starting laughing and said he wanted to see what my reaction would be.

Mine lives in my passport holder. I think it’s been in there so long the lamination is now part of the leather! :D

Back