Reputation points

I'm not much of a 'disapprove' kinda guy, really. Wasn't me.

If it's any consolation, you're not as good looking as I am. I'm willing to admit that. :D

Richard said:
Hey, who knocked me down one? Brian???

I just noticed that I have been dinged recently for a post I made in jest. I'm assuming it was Joe who dinged me but no comment was left and with these things being anonymous you just can't tell. If I were to leave negative reputation points against someone, I'd have the courage to tell them it was me and why I felt the need.

But, I will not participate in some sort of ridiculous popularity contest. I've also given my opinions in regard to anonymity bringing out the worst in people. If this sort of thing continues I'm definitely outta here. Life is too short for that sort of petty nonsense. :no:

Jeannie

Nah - Jeannie, there's no reason to really leave for this, I don't think. Personally, I don't take the reputation for meaning squat. Everyone here knows who stirs the crap, and who sprays the vapoorize.

Eventually, the reputation meter and real life will coincide I'm thinking, so that new posters can get help from people they can trust. One day, we won't have someone as knowledgeable as Dr. Bruce, or Cap'n Ron with "An Unknown Quality at this point."

I also think that one day, the people who stir up crap will be sitting there with a red reputation meter.

Maverick said:
I just noticed that I have been dinged recently for a post I made in jest. I'm assuming it was Joe who dinged me but no comment was left and with these things being anonymous you just can't tell. If I were to leave negative reputation points against someone, I'd have the courage to tell them it was me and why I felt the need.

But, I will not participate in some sort of ridiculous popularity contest. I've also given my opinions in regard to anonymity bringing out the worst in people. If this sort of thing continues I'm definitely outta here. Life is too short for that sort of petty nonsense. :no:

Jeannie

If you are referring to me Joe, I haven't dinged you for at least a couple weeks, which is all longer I can see back. Ass u me.

I don't put much stock into it either. Like Brian said before, admin can tell if somone is on a hunting trip. Jeannie, don't get lathered up over the trivial.

Richard said:
Hey, who knocked me down one? Brian???

Someone dinged me too! On my post showing my route for going out west no less! What about that could have possible ticked someone off that they would ding me? Or does the blue color mean something else?

N2212R said:
Someone dinged me too! On my post showing my route for going out west no less! What about that could have possible ticked someone off that they would ding me? Or does the blue color mean something else?

Grey/blue means someone tried to give you reputation that doesn't have the 50 posts required to do so yet. It doesn't add or subtract. It wasn't necesarily a ding, but if they didn't leave a note it's hard to tell. I have a couple of those, also.

Red is bad, green is good.

Joe Williams said:
If you are referring to me Joe, I haven't dinged you for at least a couple weeks, which is all longer I can see back. Ass u me.

Joe, I was only assuming it may have been you because it was in regard to a reply that I made to one of your posts. As I say my reply was somewhat in jest and it was my assumption that it would have been taken as that and nothing more. If it wasn't you that's ok and I apologize for making the erroneous assumption. I just don't like the whole idea of the reputation points being an anonymous thing.

I've been out of high school for more years than I care to count. The popularity crap wasn't very pleasant then and I won't subject myself to it at this point in my life. That's why I say the next time I get a hit and run bad reputation point I'm gone. I mean no disrespect to you or anyone else. I just won't play that game, especially when it has nothing to do with my work or other more important activities. I'm not thin skinned, I just don't have the patience or interest to participate.

I enjoy taking part in meaningful, thought provoking and entertaining dialog, not anonymous hit and run attacks from those who can't stand a difference of opinion. A lively debate that is well represented on both sides of an issue can be a wonderful thing. I well thought out and articulated argument can and often does change minds. This is my idea of what leadership should be.

With respect,

Jeannie

I sometimes have an ego (I think all pilots do), but this seems silly. Kind of like "please pick me" on the playground.

Go ahead and ding me, I don't know how to tell what my "reputation points" score is anyway.

I also think that one day, the people who stir up crap will be sitting there with a red reputation meter.[/QUOTE]

Where do you even check to see if someone dinged you?
EB
________
Ipad guide

Last edited:
Maverick said:
I enjoy taking part in meaningful, thought provoking and entertaining dialog, not anonymous hit and run attacks from those who can't stand a difference of opinion. A lively debate that is well represented on both sides of an issue can be a wonderful thing. I well thought out and articulated argument can and often does change minds.

Jeannie, while I understand you're reluctance to "play the popularity game", this is definitely one of those games that require two particpants and it's pretty easy to opt out of the game without abandoning the webboard. Just ignore any dings that you feel were unjustified. A single undeserved negative ping is just one person making a rather unimportant point in the whole scheme of things, why let that affect you in any way?

So, please keep on with your participation in the "lively debates" and don't let anyone chase you away with something of so little consequence.

Last edited:
Yeah, what Lance said. I originally posted this because I was curious what the little green dot meant. Just had some spare time at that moment.

Maverick said:
I've been out of high school for more years than I care to count. The popularity crap wasn't very pleasant then and I won't subject myself to it at this point in my life. That's why I say the next time I get a hit and run bad reputation point I'm gone. I mean no disrespect to you or anyone else. I just won't play that game, especially when it has nothing to do with my work or other more important activities. I'm not thin skinned, I just don't have the patience or interest to participate.

I enjoy taking part in meaningful, thought provoking and entertaining dialog, not anonymous hit and run attacks from those who can't stand a difference of opinion. A lively debate that is well represented on both sides of an issue can be a wonderful thing. I well thought out and articulated argument can and often does change minds. This is my idea of what leadership should be.

With respect,

Jeannie
It's interesting that you "won't play the game" yet if you get one more bad hit you'll be gone? Sounds like you're taking it too seriously. Aside from two admins, you and the person giving are the only two that can see it. And the two admins aren't really interested in anything other than making sure a trend isn't developing.

Having seen the reputation counters and some comments, I can tell you that there are far, far more positive given out than negative. If I had to guess, I'd say it's easily a 20:1 ratio, if not more. I can also tell you that if I saw one particular person giving out a whole lot of negatives, it would be discussed amongst the management team.

I like the reputation system. It's a way for me to say "hey, nice post but I really don't have much to say about it, other than thank you". But no one is comparing scores here. :)

Maverick said:
I've been out of high school for more years than I care to count. The popularity crap wasn't very pleasant then and I won't subject myself to it at this point in my life.
With respect,
Jeannie

I couldn't agree more. :yes:

Brian Austin said:
It's interesting that you "won't play the game" yet if you get one more bad hit you'll be gone? Sounds like you're taking it too seriously. Aside from two admins, you and the person giving are the only two that can see it. And the two admins aren't really interested in anything other than making sure a trend isn't developing.

Having seen the reputation counters and some comments, I can tell you that there are far, far more positive given out than negative. If I had to guess, I'd say it's easily a 20:1 ratio, if not more. I can also tell you that if I saw one particular person giving out a whole lot of negatives, it would be discussed amongst the management team.

I like the reputation system. It's a way for me to say "hey, nice post but I really don't have much to say about it, other than thank you". But no one is comparing scores here. :)

Then why must it be an anonymous system? It's the anonymity that I strenuously object to for reasons I've already stated. What purpose does it serve to give someone a negative hit and not even make a comment to give the recipient a clue as to what they didn't like about the post, let alone do it anonymously.

I really do respect the owners and administrators of this site as well as most everyone who's posts I've had the pleasure of reading. I've also met Bruce in person and I think he's great. I'm just saying I have better things to do with my time than participate in a forum where the anonymity factor bothers me, and it does. I just don't care to be a willing participant in that sort of nonsense.

Jeannie

Last edited:
Richard;

Thanks for the thread. I did not know how this worked until now. Yup. got a ding. Oh Well. Now I know what the dot is.

John J

John J said:
Richard;

Thanks for the thread. I did not know how this worked until now. Yup. got a ding. Oh Well. Now I know what the dot is.

John J

You can show your appreciation by giving me a green one. Anon, of course.

Maverick said:
Then why must it be an anonymous system? It's the anonymity that I strenuously object to for reasons I've already stated. What purpose does it serve to give someone a negative hit and not even make a comment to give the recipient a clue as to what they didn't like about the post, let alone do it anonymously.

I really do respect the owners and administrators of this site as well as most everyone who's posts I've had the pleasure of reading. I've also met Bruce in person and I think he's great. I'm just saying I have better things to do with my time than participate in a forum where the anonymity factor bothers me, and it does. I just don't care to be a willing participant in that sort of nonsense.

Jeannie
It's anonymous because that's the way it was originally written in the software. We (the management team) have discussed making changes but aside from one or two complaints, it's been pretty well received, despite the anonymous nature. Chuck has enough on his plate at the moment while Chip is taking credit it for it and I'm doing all the real work here. :rofl:

As far as anonymity goes, the PoA policy doesn't require that anyone give their real name or other identifying characteristics. For instance, we all know who NC19143 is, right? But there is nothing actually identifying him in his public profile. Instead, we take his words at face value. There are several others who are rather anonymous. We don't make judgement calls on those folks until they write something out of line (ie against the PoA RoC). That's just how we operate.

Incidentally, there are a number of other forums where anonymous logins are allowed, including one you and I both frequent. PoA allows a little more leeway on topic choice, hence the possibility of anon abuse. But overall, we really haven't even seen it here. Personally, I don't even credit the owner/administrators/moderators here. We just wrote the guidelines. It's everyone else who is actually doing it! :goofy:

Maverick said:

Jeannie

I agree with you Jeannie in that I don't care for the "reputation" thingie they've got going on here. However, there's lots of other great info to be had.... including fly-ins like Gaston's. Wanna share a cabin? Hell, wanna fly formation? Meet you over Indianapolis... or somewhere. What do you cruse at anyway? I'm around 145 knts.
:blowingkisses:

Maverick said:
Because anonymity allows for honesty without fear of reprisal.

As long as that isn't abused as a means of attacking a person, I see value in allowing the community to privately say to a person without fear of repercussion, "I didn't think much of that."

The anonymity only goes so far. Personally, I'm considering making a comment mandatory, and establishing a policy that comments made when giving reputation be meaningful, especially when negative reputation is given. I haven't reviewed the reputation remarks in a couple of weeks now, but in general I feel the system has been used as intended. Reputaiton hits which are uncalled for can be removed, if an appeal is made to do so privately.

A person with a generally good reputation has no reason to worry about the occasional negative hit because of a difference of opinion or a different sense of humor. A person who, on the other hand, is generally abrasive and/or rude w/o violating the ROC will suffer ongoing reputation hits, and eventually will have a red bar under their name instead of a green one.

Its safe to say that we know that many people were turned off of certain other forums because of the nature of a relatively large number of posts in some of the forums. I'm not singling out individual posters - I'm talking about general tone and attitude of a broad number of posts not limited to small niches of people that would spring up from time to time and get very ugly.

The reputation system gives the members here a way to show disapproval of very negative posts without fear of becoming embroiled in a flame war. It works for us, even if it has some negative points.

Moxie said:
I agree with you Jeannie in that I don't care for the "reputation" thingie they've got going on here. However, there's lots of other great info to be had.... including fly-ins like Gaston's. Wanna share a cabin? Hell, wanna fly formation? Meet you over Indianapolis... or somewhere. What do you cruse at anyway? I'm around 145 knts.
Well, the beauty of the reputation system is that it means little to those that don't pay attention to it. You don't get extra prizes. Your membership costs stay the same. You don't get locked out for getting to a certain number.

Share a cabin? Sigh... :p

Maverick said:
When I leave a positive rep point, I include my initials. When I leave a negative one, well, I haven't done that yet, because I generally subscribe to the philosophy that I will quietly agree to disagree with someone. However, if at whatever point I do give a red one, I'll sign that with my initials, too.

Brian Austin said:
It's anonymous because that's the way it was originally written in the software. We (the management team) have discussed making changes but aside from one or two complaints, it's been pretty well received, despite the anonymous nature. Chuck has enough on his plate at the moment while Chip is taking credit it for it and I'm doing all the real work here. :rofl:

As far as anonymity goes, the PoA policy doesn't require that anyone give their real name or other identifying characteristics. For instance, we all know who NC19143 is, right? But there is nothing actually identifying him in his public profile. Instead, we take his words at face value. There are several others who are rather anonymous. We don't make judgement calls on those folks until they write something out of line (ie against the PoA RoC). That's just how we operate.

Incidentally, there are a number of other forums where anonymous logins are allowed, including one you and I both frequent. PoA allows a little more leeway on topic choice, hence the possibility of anon abuse. But overall, we really haven't even seen it here. Personally, I don't even credit the owner/administrators/moderators here. We just wrote the guidelines. It's everyone else who is actually doing it! :goofy:

No anonymouses on B&A.... we may use callsigns, but *I* know who y'all are. :)~ I've got yer number BA.

BTW, anytime I add, or ding for that matter, on reputations here ... I always sign my name.... especially if it's a ding. Seems like the polite thing to do.... to not sign ones name seems... uhm.... tacky for sure on a negative ding anyway.

Moxie said:
No anonymouses on B&A.... we may use callsigns, but *I* know who y'all are. :)~ I've got yer number BA.
Boy, I hope so. ;)

True but the profiles don't necessarily reflect that for the regular users. It's not a bad thing, just different. And we're not judged on who we are but what we say. I have no idea who half the people are in "real names" but it doesn't make them any less of a Babe.

Brian Austin said:

I realize that many of us here, myself included, use either a pseudonym or just a first name. In these cases our complete identity is somewhat hidden.

Because the internet can be a rather dangerous place I take care not to post anything publicly that can lead a person to my home address or phone number. There are people here who I have met and have chosen to give that information to. Women do need to take greater care in this regard than men do.

When I speak of the anonymity of this reputation system I mean the ability for someone to ding another person without reason or letting the person know who did it. Without making a comment when dinging someone, well I consider that to be without reason. It's just plain rude.

If I feel strongly enough to oppose someone's comment then I will tell them why and I will let them know it was me. I feel that's the proper and responsible thing to do.

Maybe I am making too much out of this, we'll see. But I still don't like it.

Jeannie

So if someone leaves rep, but isn't at the magic 50 post yet, when they get there, does their rep add count?

Moxie said:

You know I'd love to go but I really don't think I can either get away or even afford to go right now. Isn't that coming up pretty soon? I haven't paid much attention to the dates because I figured I wouldn't be going.

My Cardinal cruises at 135 -140 knots depending on altitude and air density so you're a bit faster than I am. Mooney's are a bit slippery in comparison to the Cardinal but I think I have a bit more room inside. :)

It would be a blast though wouldn't it.

Jeannie

Maverick said:
I would like to extend my heart felt thanks to all of you who have so graciously added to my reputation based on my posts in this thread. There are a lot of wonderful people here.

Jeannie :blowingkisses:
For someone who wasn't playing the game, you sure are paying a lot of attention. ;)

NickDBrennan said:
So if someone leaves rep, but isn't at the magic 50 post yet, when they get there, does their rep add count?
I'm going with an unqualified 'no' to that one. Chuck can confirm but my understanding is that it doesn't count until 50 and it isn't retroactive.

Brian Austin said:
For someone who wasn't playing the game, you sure are paying a lot of attention. ;)

Well, when I put my cursor over the little green dot I saw that it said something different so I went to look. Honestly I hadn't paid much attention to it until this thread. In fact I didn't even know that someone had dinged me until this thread came up. It just made me angry that no comment was left, it was just a drive by. Oh well, I'm a bit calmer now than I was earlier.

Jeannie

Joe Williams said:
Grey/blue means someone tried to give you reputation that doesn't have the 50 posts required to do so yet. It doesn't add or subtract. It wasn't necesarily a ding, but if they didn't leave a note it's hard to tell. I have a couple of those, also.

Red is bad, green is good.

Opps, that explains why that positive one I left a fellow boarder was grey. I saw that and was hoping I did not accidently give a negative, apparently it was what I wanted to give him, a positive.

Maverick said:
I realize that many of us here, myself included, use either a pseudonym or just a first name. In these cases our complete identity is somewhat hidden.

Because the internet can be a rather dangerous place I take care not to post anything publicly that can lead a person to my home address or phone number. There are people here who I have met and have chosen to give that information to. Women do need to take greater care in this regard than men do.

When I speak of the anonymity of this reputation system I mean the ability for someone to ding another person without reason or letting the person know who did it. Without making a comment when dinging someone, well I consider that to be without reason. It's just plain rude.

If I feel strongly enough to oppose someone's comment then I will tell them why and I will let them know it was me. I feel that's the proper and responsible thing to do.

Maybe I am making too much out of this, we'll see. But I still don't like it.

Jeannie
You're making too much of it, imho. As Chuck noted, there were reasons for the anonymous nature of the reputation system. Some people like it and use it regularly. Others ignore it altogether.

We all walk through life choosing how we'll let different things affect us. I choose to make this a positive thing, regardless if I get dinged or not (which I think I have for some early comments I made). Overall it makes little if any difference on my quality of life, my perception of others (even those that dinged me which is their right in our system here), or my attitude toward pretty much anything.

Take yourself too seriously and life will be too serious. Too short, too fast and all it does is take away from good opportunities in the end. :)

Dustin said:
Opps, that explains why that positive one I left a fellow boarder was grey. I saw that and was hoping I did not accidently give a negative, apparently it was what I wanted to give him, a positive.
Keep posting, Dustin! You're getting closer!

Brian Austin said:
Keep posting, Dustin! You're getting closer!

Hey! "Dustin is an unknown quantity at this point." I did not realize how many times I had posted prior to this thread. Also, I do not know about these reputation points, sounds like something to check out for a while and have fun looking into.

I don't really subscribe to the whole rep system either. I've made my own comments about it, and I don't think I've passed out any negs (someone can check on this I'm sure). The dings I've seen tend to come from discussions that can get heated, and that's no way to foster discussion/debate. It's a, quite frankly, ignorant way to say "HA, I got the last laugh!" Furthermore, if people have an opinion that's of the minority, they could get dinged a number of times on the same topic, effectively squelching the individual since they'll end up being seen as a troll for that little red dot.

The rep system really has flaws when it comes down to it, and not much can be done in the way of checking and making sure that points are issued with valid reasons (at least for neg hits) unless one of the PoA management team want to stay up all night going through the dings and associated posts ;)

That being said, just like Jeannie, I check my rep points on a fairly often basis, mainly to see what I said that (supposedly) ****ed people off. This doesn't mean I'm "playing the game", it just means I want to make sure that I'm not going to end up with a red dot for speaking my mind. Disagreement and disgust are two separate things, and I don't think a red dot should be used for the first.

You know, until today I had clicked on the green dot only once before and that only because I was curious. And, until today, I had no idea each post carries a rep and may include a personal note from someone about that post. I feel some paranoia coming on...if I were to start wearing my aluminum helmet again would that help?

wbarnhill said:
I don't really subscribe to the whole rep system either. I've made my own comments about it, and I don't think I've passed out any negs (someone can check on this I'm sure). The dings I've seen tend to come from discussions that can get heated, and that's no way to foster discussion/debate. It's a, quite frankly, ignorant way to say "HA, I got the last laugh!" Furthermore, if people have an opinion that's of the minority, they could get dinged a number of times on the same topic, effectively squelching the individual since they'll end up being seen as a troll for that little red dot.
I think you have it backwards: the little red dot would most likely come from a series of negative rep hits from BEING a troll. Don't troll, don't get the dings.

wbarnhill said:
The rep system really has flaws when it comes down to it, and not much can be done in the way of checking and making sure that points are issued with valid reasons (at least for neg hits) unless one of the PoA management team want to stay up all night going through the dings and associated posts ;)
Okay, a few folks seem stuck on this negative reputation thing. So I took a quick look:

Out of the last 30 days, there are about 440 reputation points awarded. This doesn't include 0 points for anyone hitting the button but not having the minimum 50 posts.

During that same period there were 22 negative hits. 22. For those of you without a calculator and too lazy to take off your shoes and socks, that's 5%.

Of those 22 negative points, most came from two or three rather lively threads. Ironically, most were tit-for-tat type exchanges, although you probably didn't realize it. Maybe you did. Doesn't matter.

As much as a few folks don't like it, it works. Those who get a little sensitive about taking negative hits might want to take a look at the posts in question and ask "how could I have sent the same message without irritating someone?" Those less sensitive will simply treat it as it is: an informal feedback tool.

"Valid reasons" are truly up to the person hitting the button, not PoA management. The whole idea behind it was an anonymous user-to-user feedback system that didn't involve moderation where a user could send a message without having a clique of people gang up and shout them out of the forum. And guess what: it works as far as I'm concerned. Some people use it to hand out positive only, some use it to express both positive and negative, a few use it for negative only (although they are few and far between). A lot of folks simply ignore it. And every one of those choices is okay by me.

Back