Reputation points

Greebo said:
Or staring at the ground...

I once had half of my class helping me search the ground for a $3.00 bill I lost.

(OK they were third graders and pretty easy to fool...)
Was that where you were last week? :goofy:

Ken Ibold said:
OK, how many people have checked their reputation about 10 times since this thread started???
Me, for one, once I figured out how. Only one person has given me a point and it was a good one. Glad to be uncontroversial. :yes:

Joe Williams said:
Your post just gave me an insane and irresistable urge to do so. Kind of like coming across a group of people looking at the sky :rofl:

Human nature can be a funny thang. :rolleyes:

As a new member here would someone explain what this reptation point system is all about. I hope to enjoy this group of pilots in a positive enviorment.

Larry

wbarnhill said:
I check my rep points on a fairly often basis, mainly to see what I said that (supposedly) ****ed people off. This doesn't mean I'm "playing the game", it just means I want to make sure that I'm not going to end up with a red dot for speaking my mind. Disagreement and disgust are two separate things, and I don't think a red dot should be used for the first.

Interesting, I check mine to see whom I may have helped. I don't really care who I may have ****ed off or what color my dot is. If there is someone who would reject a posting of mine on account of the color of the dot without reading and possibly contemplating the actual content, well then that's their loss. It is a very poor mind that allows others to form their opinion and govern their thought. If someone dissagrees with me and dings me, fine, what do I care, at the end of the day, it has done me no real harm.

Henning said:
Interesting, I check mine to see whom I may have helped. I don't really care who I may have ****ed off or what color my dot is. If there is someone who would reject a posting of mine on account of the color of the dot without reading and possibly contemplating the actual content, well then that's their loss. It is a very poor mind that allows others to form their opinion and govern their thought. If someone dissagrees with me and dings me, fine, what do I care, at the end of the day, it has done me no real harm.

That's largely why I check mine. I like to see what posts people liked. I've gotten far, far more postives than negatives. It's been surprising to me what some folks have liked, and found worthy of taking the time to give up rep points. Interesting, and fun. I've gotten some some neg points to, of course, but only a couple that may have been generated purely by a personal dislike. Most of the negs I've gotten have been given to me for the same reason I give them. Someone has been so offended, so strongly disagrees with what I say or how I said it, and in a couple cases strongly dislikes a viewpoint I hold that they take the time to make it known. If someone takes the time to give a rep point, good or bad, they are spending their energy. Both the positives and the negs deserve thought and reflection on that basis, for the most part. Even I have gotten very few negs.

Frankly, if I can come to this site and not be the victim of a tit for tat or personal dislike vendetta, the system is working. People want this site to be friendly, positive, and worthwhile, and the rep hits I've gotten reflect that. I try to get mine to also reflect that, though I am aware that some disagree with a couple of mine. Still, all mine, good or ill, are given after thought and consideration, and I feel are fair. All that said, I still don't think it was inappropriate to mention religion when someone asked how we prepare for loss, but obviously someone did. Oh well... it's a big community. Part of the fun, for me at least.

I do kind of like requiring comments. I used to be lazy now and again and send a positive or negative without comment, but after getting a couple of each, I realized that is actually kind of frustrating and always include some sort of comment.

Joe Williams said:
I still don't think it was inappropriate to mention religion when someone asked how we prepare for loss, but obviously someone did.

That's a bit bizarre, my person thoughts on religion aside, isn't that a primary basis of religion? Besides, how can you ding someone for a personal opinion on something that can't be proven or dissproven?

Last edited:
Steve said:
User Reputation in its simplest form is a ranking of your user's benefit to your forum.

how 'bout i just volunteer for Silly Comic Relief? That can be of benefit to some.

sierra said:
how 'bout i just volunteer for Silly Comic Relief? That can be of benefit to some.

I though that's what your Avatar was for...:happydance: :rolleyes:

sere said:
As a new member here would someone explain what this reptation point system is all about. I hope to enjoy this group of pilots in a positive enviorment.

Larry

Hi Larry, it's good to see you over here too. I assume you've looked at the picture in my profile. The one you took of me leaving Mio last year.

Jeannie :)

Yes I did see the picture. It is still one of my favorite. Did I ever tell you that when I was standing there taking pictures of you heading towards me that as you passed overhead that the noise of your engine still made me duck. Sure supprised me that I did that. But I was still able to recover and get that great shot of your climbing bank. Thanks for pointing me to this group.

Larry
:) :goofy: :)

sere said:
Yes I did see the picture. It is still one of my favorite. Did I ever tell you that when I was standing there taking pictures of you heading towards me that as you passed overhead that the noise of your engine still made me duck. Sure supprised me that I did that. But I was still able to recover and get that great shot of your climbing bank. Thanks for pointing me to this group.

Larry
:) :goofy: :)

Good thing I wasn't flying an F14. I was at an airshow once when they did a performance demonstration of the F14. The pilot came over the runway with flaps and gear down to show the slow flight characteristics. Then he turned away pointing his six at the crowd, pulled up his gear and flaps and kicked in the afterburners. I can still remember the ground shaking as he departed the area. What a great demo flight that was.

Jeannie

Back