Replacing decals

Jdm

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jdm
I’ve got a couple of large Skyhawk decals to replace. Question is about possibly sealing over top?
Not sure if anything is actually needed, but might make it more durable. We always used a 3M edge sealing product on the jets, but I doubt the speed of a Cessna requires it. Anyone with experience on this? Thanks.

Anyone with experience on this?
Provided you use a quality decal and install it correctly, the sealing is no longer needed. The current materials used are superior to the old decals which did require edge sealing mainly due to their thickness. Have installed rather large wraps/decals in recent time and they're still going strong except the one that flew through a hail storm.

That’s good to know. Thank you much.

That’s good to know. Thank you much.

I have done it a couple times here lately on 172s.

Like said no sealer needed.

I used CarBrite adhesive remover to get the old decals off. Then polished the paint and applied the decals.

They are on there for another 30 years.

I have pictures and more tips to share when I get home.

Got my new hawks from the Spruce. Got one on my walk in hangar door also.

Reactions: Jdm
I’ve ordered a decal eraser wheel from spruce. Someone told me that it works well. I’ll have to give this adhesive remover a try as well.

I’ve ordered a decal eraser wheel from spruce. Someone told me that it works well. I’ll have to give this adhesive remover a try as well.

I have and use them on work trucks but they might be too aggressive on the Aluminum panels? Definitely worth a try.

Still need a adhesive remover after the eraser.

I’ve got a couple of large Skyhawk decals to replace. Question is about possibly sealing over top?
Not sure if anything is actually needed, but might make it more durable. We always used a 3M edge sealing product on the jets, but I doubt the speed of a Cessna requires it. Anyone with experience on this? Thanks.

IMG_9465.JPG

3 years ago I replaced the hawks, put them back where they were. They were 40 years old and really hard to get off. The key tool for me is that adhesive remover. You have let it dwell on the decal and it will soften it. But after 40 years of being sun baked on you have to be patient and keep reapplying the remover. I used plastic and my finger nails to get it off. It will do it, many other removers won't. It is in that spray bottle.
IMG_0167.JPG

3 years later my buddy points out that my birds are not in there original place and I was wanting to replace my N numbers. So took them off again this time much easier. The N numbers were 40 years old and took a while to get off.

Then use either soapy water or use a release agent(rapid Tac) on both the decal and the paint to apply them, lot's of soapy water or rapid tac so you can move them around and then when you are happy where they are it also helps the air bubbles come out. I tried to put them back in the stock location. The flag started to peel my paint off when I went to remove it so I left it on. I wanted to at replace it with one that was more straight.
IMG_0170.JPG

I like the flag on this side, some may not like the flag at all on there?
IMG_0305.JPG

Looks great. Thanks for the info!

Back