Repaired Hail Damage and Affect on Value

JoseCuervo

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
JoseCuervo
How big of a deterrent to purchase would be prior (extensive) hail damage that was repaired with Bondo (or similar) and then got a new paint job, courtesy of the insurance company?

(Control surfaces were replaced.)

How permanent is the Bondo repair?

Would you buy a plane that had the damage history?

Had a plane with light hail damage. No bondo,no big deal. Since I owned one I guess I'd buy one.

I'm sure many will say no biggie but I looked at t182t which had hail damage with some filling, sanding and repaint on leading edges. I thought what's big deal but when I asked a broker buddy of mine, he said still a damaged aircraft and it will always follow you and price should reflect that.
Good luck

I'm sure many will say no biggie but I looked at t182t which had hail damage with some filling, sanding and repaint on leading edges. I thought what's big deal but when I asked a broker buddy of mine, he said still a damaged aircraft and it will always follow you and price should reflect that.
Good luck

How much did you think it should discount the t182? $5k? $10k? $25k?

Bondo will come loose after a while.

Yep.

How long? 1 year? Or 1 Decade?

I'm not sure how long it will last. I've seen some used on airplanes with older paint jobs that have the filler cracking and falling off, but I don't know when the paint was done or when the filler was added (presumably it happened at the same time).

If I were going to buy an airplane with hail damage I'd rather have a previous owner leave it visible than buy an airplane full of filler. I think people would be surprised at how hard it is to see a lot of hail damage unless it is pretty bad. I owned my first airplane for over a year before I noticed some hail damage because the light was never right to see it.

For filling holes and dings I always use Marine Tex epoxy. It works very well and last for ever. It is made for hard marine environment. It comes in white and gray

José

For filling holes and dings I always use Marine Tex epoxy. It works very well and last for ever. It is made for hard marine environment. It comes in white and gray

José
I doubt it's bondo too. epoxy aero filler will never come off. We should live so long,

I doubt it's bondo too. epoxy aero filler will never come off. We should live so long,

Just ask the guys at a paint shop how much filler they find when stripping airplanes, tons! Most of it is unnoticed until the paint comes off.:redface: Older Citations are full of filler from the factory, according to the guys that painted mine. It still had factory paint, so it wasn't from damage.;)

Yep, depends on the filler used, and the technique used, as to how long it will last.

I've looked at a couple of airplanes with hail damage... have wondered how well paintless dent repair would work on them.

Is there a consensus that you WALK away from properly repaired hail damage as it is "damage history" and would be difficult to re-sell, or do you just consider it a bit of damage history and discount appropriately, like we do with all these 40-50 year old airplanes?

Is there a consensus that you WALK away from properly repaired hail damage as it is "damage history" and would be difficult to re-sell, or do you just consider it a bit of damage history and discount appropriately, like we do with all these 40-50 year old airplanes?

Light hail damage doesn't really affect how the plane flys, rather have a good flying aircraft,than one that looks good.

I've looked at a couple of airplanes with hail damage... have wondered how well paintless dent repair would work on them.

Probably not very well on most of the dents (due to the nature of 2024 T3). That, and the fact that there will be paint failure in the near future, just like there is on cars that have had paintless dent repair.
Best to repair properly, or just leave it alone.

Meh... guess that would give a whole new meaning to the term "flying club".

Ba-dum-bump.

I looked at a plane that was recommended to me by a mechanic. It had been on the ground and in a T hangar when the storm hit. The hail only dimpled the elevator and horizontal stabilizer. But it was very noticeable.

I decided not to buy it, although the price was about 15 percent less than an undamaged plane of similar vintage.

I looked at a plane that was recommended to me by a mechanic. It had been on the ground and in a T hangar when the storm hit. The hail only dimpled the elevator and horizontal stabilizer. But it was very noticeable.

I decided not to buy it, although the price was about 15 percent less than an undamaged plane of similar vintage.

Because of the hail damage, or for other reasons?

The hail damage was the deciding factor. I knew that for 15 % more I could find a competitive choice without the damage.

Ok, I'm reviving this thread. Is there a consensus on what the price deduction should be for repaired hail damage. Let's assume it was done correctly. Are we talking 5%, 10%, 20%......

If you where selling,how much would you be willing to discount the price?

Ok, I'm reviving this thread. Is there a consensus on what the price deduction should be for repaired hail damage. Let's assume it was done correctly. Are we talking 5%, 10%, 20%......

Define "correctly",

Re-skinned entire plane affected?
Electromagnetic Dent Removal (EDR)?
Filled dents with filler and paint?

I started a similar thread when I was considering buying a plane with damage history. It seemed to me at the time, and still seems today, that a plane with damage history is going to be worth less than a plane without said history. While that seems logical and obvious to me, some others do not see it the same way and even appeared to grow angry with me for suggesting the value of a plane with damage history should be depreciated. Here is the link to the thread:
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61076&highlight=DEDUCT+PERCENT+DAMAGE+HISTORY

Whatever you would define correctly is. I'm looking for a ballpark number.

I started a similar thread when I was considering buying a plane with damage history. It seemed to me at the time, and still seems today, that a plane with damage history is going to be worth less than a plane without said history. While that seems logical and obvious to me, some others do not see it the same way and even appeared to grow angry with me for suggesting the value of a plane with damage history should be depreciated. Here is the link to the thread:
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61076&highlight=DEDUCT+PERCENT+DAMAGE+HISTORY

Yeah, we'll see what kind of answers I get. I'm just trying to get a ballpark number. I'm like you, I think there should be some deduction even after many years. If for no other reason than lugging around the weight of the repair.

How big of a deterrent to purchase would be prior (extensive) hail damage that was repaired with Bondo (or similar) and then got a new paint job, courtesy of the insurance company?

(Control surfaces were replaced.)

How permanent is the Bondo repair?

Would you buy a plane that had the damage history?

Bondo repairs are generally good for 5 years, modern fillers with no clay but microballoons instead is good for about 10, this is given a excellent prep job. Would I buy it? Depends on the price and what condition the rest of the plane was in. Hail damage alone wouldn't make me reject a good deal.

Bondo repairs are generally good for 5 years, modern fillers with no clay but microballoons instead is good for about 10, this is given a excellent prep job. Would I buy it? Depends on the price and what condition the rest of the plane was in. Hail damage alone wouldn't make me reject a good deal.

Agreed......
And as Geico previously stated.. The plane will fly faster due to the "golf ball" dimples effect...;)......:dunno:

I can tell you that from my stand point, the number would have had to be in excess of 10%, likely pushing to 20%.

All of the planes I was looking at had "issues"of some sort (hours, damage history, panels, paint, interior, etc), and as such there had to be a discount from "good condition".

This one never got discounted the 20% less that I was able to buy another plane for. (And, last time I checked, it was still for sale, with hail damage repairs.)

NOt sure if that is a definitive methodology, but that is what I saw.

IMO quite a bit. And because of this hail damaged airplanes are quite a bargain for someone that wants an inexpensive airplane. Its been said the least expensive airplane would be a Cessna 150 with hail damage, dont insure it and park it on the ramp. Quite true.

OTOH, if you have the money, why buy a hail damaged airplane?

And there you have the reason why they are cheaper.

Why fix the dings? Aren't they like dimples on a golf ball? They ought to make the airplane fly faster, further, and straighter. :thumbsup:

(At least that's what I'd tell the guy I was trying to sell it to.)

Was it sitting on the ramp and hail fell on it, or was it flown through a Hail Chute coming off a Level 5 TS at 165 knots? I guess so long as it's aerodynamically correct I'd discount and go from there.

A friend had hail damage on his Skylane, insurance company issues him a check for 10 grand (if memory serves). Flew the thing to Colorado.

If it's properly repaired (no filler, re sheet) I'd say zero change in value.

If the guy did a shade tree job on it and slapped autozone filler over a painted surface, then rattle caned it, yeah that's 5-30% off depending on how much of the plane was damaged.

Back