Renting bottled oxygen?

DMD3.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DMD3.
Is it possible to rent bottled oxygen for high-altitude flights in an aircraft that is nonpressurized and without built-in oxygen? (There's a video on youtube of a turbocharged Skylane at FL190).

Whether you have to rent or buy, is it expensive? Also, is it fairly easy to use?

I've never heard of rented O2 systems. Seems like a liability nightmare...

Like the other poster, I've never heard of anybody renting a portable system. A portable system can be built relatively cheaply or purchased ready to go for about $400 to $500.

Oxygen refills are typically in the $20-$40 range depending on market. Refills can be very expensive at some FBOs.

It's simple to use. Get a pulse oximeter for $20 to $50 and set flow to maintain at least 90% saturation or use the 1 liter/10,000 altitude rule.

All that typed, don't mess around at altitude without oxygen. You won't know you're oxygen deprived and will do stupid stuff.

It might be helpful to know where you are, as there may be a POA member wiling to lend you or sell you a system.

It might be helpful to know where you are, as there may be a POA member wiling to lend you or sell you a system.
This. Shipping a full cyl. Runs into hazmat complexities. Easier to pick up.

Refills can be very expensive at some FBOs.
No kidding. I once made the mistake of asking Cutter PHX to refill my bottle. They had it done in less than 5 minutes....and charged $60 for it.

Don't get me wrong, I love the folks at Cutter PHX, but there are some things better done at smaller FBOs.

I use o2 anytime I am above about 8k as that is when my pulse ox reading indicates o2 would be beneficial. It helps prevent symptoms of hypoxemia and the cost can be virtually nil after the initial hardware purchase.

You want o2 on the cheap, do this:
Go on ebay or craigslist and buy:
1-2 small o2 tanks for the plane (CGA870).
1-2 330 cu ft cylinders (CGA540) to use as supply to refill the small plane tanks.
a transfill adapter (CGA540 TO CGA870).
a couple regulators (CGA870) - i like the pulse 5 regulators (around $50 on ebay)
a couple nasal cannulas.

The CGA540 is the one typical on welding oxy bottles.
The CGA870 fits the small oxygen tanks which I carry in the plane.

You can refill the large tank for about $30 at airgas and use it for hundreds of hours. You will need a transfill adapter to transfer oxygen from the large cylinder to the small tanks which are carried in the plane.

I bought two 330 cu ft oxygen cylinders locally which last a very long time - as in years for me.

I carry M6 oxygen tanks with pulse 5 regulators in the plane. The pulse 5 regulators are conserving regulators which means they will only blow oxygen when they sense you inhaling; this will make your oxygen supply last much much longer.

Transfill adapter:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oxygen-Transfil ... 1e7b7755db

Much more convenient to fill at home and just about free to do so.

Oh, and no prescription needed to refill your large welding oxygen cylinder.

As for tank location, I have been flying for hundreds of hours with a couple M6 tanks propped up behind the copilot seat in the baggage area (front of baggage area, against right side of fuselage). From the left seat, I can easily reach the top of the cylinders with my right arm to open the valve and adjust the o2 flow rate.

I've never heard of rented O2 systems. Seems like a liability nightmare...
I've heard of it.

I regularly flew a rental my last few years in Colorado from a place that provided a portable system for the cost of refilling it. And before then, I periodically rented one from a pilot shop at my home base.

Picked up my own cannula at a medical supply company.

Is it possible to rent bottled oxygen for high-altitude flights in an aircraft that is nonpressurized and without built-in oxygen? (There's a video on youtube of a turbocharged Skylane at FL190).

Whether you have to rent or buy, is it expensive? Also, is it fairly easy to use?

Yes you can in some markets, where do you live? There are also medical O2 rigs you can rent if you can't find an FBO, you may need your Dr to write a script.

I built my portable rig from SCUBA gear.

I bought a Nelson set up ($500 or so) years ago. It just gets thrown in the backseat on any flight we think we might need it. Using it is easy peasy. Put the canula on, turn on the tank valve, and set the flow. I've used mine at 17,000. I tend to use it anytime I'm going above 10K.

Yes you can in some markets, where do you live? There are also medical O2 rigs you can rent if you can't find an FBO, you may need your Dr to write a script.

I built my portable rig from SCUBA gear.

South Georgia area.

One day during the winter, I'd like to take the Skyhawk up as high as it will possibly fly, mainly for the sole purpose of saying I did it. According to the POH, the max ceiling is 14,200 ft at 59 degrees (not sure if it's corrected for the temperature decrease at higher altitude or not) with max gross weight. So I figured if I go up on a cold day by myself, it should make it up to altitudes higher than that.

This is just a one time thing I'd like to do, so that's why I don't want to buy oxygen, I just want to rent it one time.

Having O2 available for rent/borrow is pretty typical for clubs around here (San Francisco Bay Area).

According to Airnav.com, this airport has oxygen service (It says high/low next to the bottled oxygen remark). Does this mean that they rent it, or that they simply refill it? (I realize I would need to call them, but it doesn't hurt to ask. :no: )

http://airnav.com/airport/KMCN

According to Airnav.com, this airport has oxygen service (It says high/low next to the bottled oxygen remark). Does this mean that they rent it, or that they simply refill it? (I realize I would need to call them, but it doesn't hurt to ask. :no: )

http://airnav.com/airport/KMCN

Typically means they have a fill cart, but call them.

Back