Rentals

I'm in a club as well -

ownership share $3,600 (resellable)
monthly dues $195 (fully flyable as hours, bankable and do not expire)

aircraft and rates (dry)
- 1983 Dakota (PA28-236) $60
- 1980 Bonanza (F33A) $88
- 1988 Saratoga (PA32R-301) $88

We currently have an opening in the club :D

I'm in a club as well -

ownership share $3,600 (resellable)
monthly dues $195 (fully flyable as hours, bankable and do not expire)

aircraft and rates (dry)
- 1983 Dakota (PA28-236) $60
- 1980 Bonanza (F33A) $88
- 1988 Saratoga (PA32R-301) $88

We currently have an opening in the club :D
I wish there was a club like this near me....How many members?

45 members, with some of those folks not flying much at all - "Tip o' the hat to those guys for subsidizing the rest of us"

Got my PPL at OSU

I was just starting to like you... Until you mentioned OSU :rofl: I go to OU now, and in the summer will start my minor in the aviation program there.

If you're looking for a club, I think there's one at Sundance with a Cherokee 140.

I'll have to look into that, I have flown into sundance quite a bit. However, I have never looked into a club over there.

Also, OklahomaAviation emailed me back about the prices and I have attached them. They seem a little high to me, but the planes look clean and well taken care of.

Attachments

• Oklahoma_Aviation_Rate_Sheet.docx
    228.3 KB · Views: 12
Even wet, that is excessive for a 172....unless it is brand new and has a G1000.

Not sure on the year, but it has 180hp engine, leather interior (with sheepskin inserts), and the garmin IFR package with 430 GPS.

Just curious, what does taking up passengers have to do with the cost? Do you rent a newer/cleaner/spiffier airplane to impress?

It should all be about the plane. If you rent a 152 regularly, and switch to a 172 to accommodate 2 friends, you're paying for the bigger aircraft. You shouldn't have to pay the FBO a surcharge to take someone along.

Here's a price list from a flying school at KFRG -- pricing affected by proximity to a major metropolitan area and what the local market will bear.

He wears a flight suit to impress - he is with the CAP.

How do cross countries and overnights work? Are they allowed?

Beau - were you asking me about my club? If so, then XC and overnights work well.
Members can schedule an extended trip (more than 7 days) once per year.
Trips longer than 14 days are prohibited without prior approval by the Board of Directors.
Each member can schedule and protect 2 "priority reservations" per year (not to exceed 18 days total per year).

Of course, all the above requires advanced planning, which I suck at. I'm more spur of the moment guy "weather looks awesome this morning - is there a plane available?" or "Someone cancelled for some reason (email notification) prompts me to grab a plane and go fly."

My "problem" is that I can rent clean 172M's w/430W for $40/hour dry which works out to about $80/hour wet. I would be willing to pay a premium of $20 - $30/hour for a G1000 just for the logbook time but not 2x what I am currently paying.

That's a pretty sweet deal. FL seems to have the best rental deals.

What is the value of G1000 time in the logbook? Insurance or something? I've got plenty of G1000 time but never broke it out separately from steam gauge time...

I think I have seen it in rental requirements at different places (to rent TAA, obviously). Also for my own experience.

How do cross countries and overnights work? Are they allowed?

In my club, the standard three hours per day but the advantage is you are paying dry rates if you do not fly so you can take a 172 for a week for $840 plus fuel and have 21 hours flight time included.

Now that I think about, if I were renting for a few days from an outfit that rents wet, I would negotiate a dry rate for any hours not flown.

Now that I think about, if I were renting for a few days from an outfit that rents wet, I would negotiate a dry rate for any hours not flown.

The two FBO's I rented from charged 1/2 the daily rate for any hours needed to hit the minimum, which was probably about right given their prices, but still higher than a typical dry rate from a club.

Not sure on the year, but it has 180hp engine, leather interior (with sheepskin inserts), and the garmin IFR package with 430 GPS.
You should not be paying anywhere near $159/hr for that, unless maybe you are in Hawaii.

The two FBO's I rented from charged 1/2 the daily rate for any hours needed to hit the minimum, which was probably about right given their prices, but still higher than a typical dry rate from a club.

That is very fair considering that fuel is only about 1/3 of a typical 172 wet rental. Of course, they are not putting any time on the airplane so no mx reserve cost either.

You're in Oklahoma? So much for my theory about the New York Metro premium. Must be awash in oil money if the local population keeps the flight schools open at those rates.

(OKC cost of living 38% cheaper v. NYC -- bit.ly/10OS8Qx)

Ever since getting my AC ... mainly the hangar. I get hangar neighbors dropping by or calling all the time asking me if I wouldn't mind taking their ride up to exercise it rather than mine.

Last year I was asked by two separate guys to fly their AC on my California trip rather than taking mine (these guys get WAY too busy and don't fly much). Declined the Bo offer as it hasn't been airborne in over a year, the Mooney is more active and had me thinking.

It is one of three places I have to choose from, at least fairly locally. A side note, they are not the FBO so they pay the FBO (Atlantic Aviation) for fuel. I don't know if that has anything to do with the price, but I'm sure it's a factor. Any recommendations on "cheaper" flying?

The place I rent from when taking up passengers costs me $159/hr! Now I got my ticket through the Civil Air Patrol where I can rent the plane for $29/hr + fuel :goofy:, so the $159 is horrific to me! Is the $159 a reasonable rate for aviation in general? Are fractional ownership's better/worse than renting? Just some things I ponder while I'm bored.

Renting a T182T in essentially new condition for $150/hr wet but I bought and prepaid for 50 hours. FBO normally charges $200/hr.

You should not be paying anywhere near $159/hr for that, unless maybe you are in Hawaii.

No one should be paying that to rent but I do and anyone in the surrounding Long Island area do too. That's the going rate around here. Luckily the planes are fantastically well maintained from where I rent from so that makes stomaching the bill a little easier.

I'm going to start using the 152 more often now that the summer is around the corner. It's a nice little plane that rents out at 125 an hour with no limitations on the time you are allowed to keep the plane. Rumor has it they are getting a 182 too with a glass cockpit and XM weather and onboard traffic. That's going to be a sweet ride but I'm sure it will rent out around 190 an hour. I'll see if I can get them down to 150 an hour by trying to buy blocks of time although I'm not sure if they even do that. Worth a question I guess.

It is one of three places I have to choose from, at least fairly locally. A side note, they are not the FBO so they pay the FBO (Atlantic Aviation) for fuel. I don't know if that has anything to do with the price, but I'm sure it's a factor. Any recommendations on "cheaper" flying?

The cheapest would be to buy a $15k - $18k airplane, fly it for 300 - 400 hours over the course of a year, then sell it for what you paid. It would not be unreasonable to end up paying considerably less than $20/hr dry including tiedown, insurance, annual, and some maintenance.

Rinse and repeat.

The cheapest would be to buy a $15k - $18k airplane, fly it for 300 - 400 hours over the course of a year, then sell it for what you paid. It would not be unreasonable to end up paying considerably less than $20/hr dry including tiedown, insurance, annual, and some maintenance.

Rinse and repeat.

Problem is you are flying a 15-18k airplane. A bad annual could almost double your investment and then it doesn't sound so good on paper anymore.

Buy a nice airplane, don't keep track of how much money spend on it.

Flightsuit optional.

Problem is you are flying a 15-18k airplane. A bad annual could almost double your investment and then it doesn't sound so good on paper anymore.

Buy a nice airplane, don't keep track of how much money spend on it.

Flightsuit optional.

No reason for a bad annual on a dirt simple airplane and a good pre-buy.

Oh, and "don't keep track of how much money spend on it" does not apply to many of us here.

And finally, the Luscombe I fly is that kind of airplane and I enjoy the heck out of it.

No reason for a bad annual on a dirt simple airplane and a good pre-buy.

Oh, and "don't keep track of how much money spend on it" does not apply to many of us here.

And finally, the Luscombe I fly is that kind of airplane and I enjoy the heck out of it.

I should have said "don't ever add all the expenses up."

Club:
2-172R - $95
2-172. - $85
2-152. -$70

Wet + $55/ month

So the $85 is the wet price, and on top of that you pay $55/month? Just want to make sure I'm reading that correctly.

madtrader said:
I won't hold it against you.
And I wont you :wink2:

BOOMER!

$119/hr dry for a '04/'05 C172SP steam panel down here in Naples..

Prices look reasonable.....

Thanks! After reading through the thread I feel a little 'taken advantage of' at the flight school with the $159/hr plane. And taken advantage of may not be the best term, it just seems like there is a better deal out there that I'm missing. Also the variety at Chickasha seems better than most places.

I'm paying $149/hr for 172/G430, and $155/hr for 172/G1000, wet no fuel surcharge, at KFRG (Long Island/NYC)

Back