Rental Cars Suck

Other than Rental Cars, what is your most-used ground transportation once you reach your dest?

• Picked up by friends/family

• Taxi/Uber/Lyft

• Crew car

• Powered (electric/gas) scooter

• non-powered scooter

• folding bicycle

• hoverboard

• Hitchhiking/Craigslist Rideshare

• Public Transportation

• Magic Carpet

Results are only viewable after voting.
The most recent trip this was true was true was a visit to Florida. Car service...$35.00 each way. Car rental...$65.00 per day. I was on site for a week...no need to let a car stay parked at $65.00 per day...I spent $90.00 with tip on getting to the site and back instead of 400ish for a rental car.

Now you know why I haven't rented a car for my professional society's annual symposium since 1984. A taxi to the meeting venue when I arrive and another back to the airport a week later makes far more sense than renting a car and paying to park it for a week.

Typically its prearranged and meets you on the tarmac...

But, what if the ramp is concrete? :D

But, what if the ramp is concrete? :D
Well in THAT case...I'd say you shpuld have read all the way to the bottom of the link...:D

Tarmac (short for tarmacadam,) is a type of road surfacing material patented by Edgar Purnell Hooley in 1901. The term is also used, with varying degrees of correctness, for a variety of other materials, including tar-grouted macadam, bituminous surface treatments, and modern asphalt concrete. The term is also often used to describe airport aprons, "ramps", and runways.

Well in THAT case...I'd say you shpuld have read all the way to the bottom of the link...:D

Tarmac (short for tarmacadam,) is a type of road surfacing material patented by Edgar Purnell Hooley in 1901. The term is also used, with varying degrees of correctness, for a variety of other materials, including tar-grouted macadam, bituminous surface treatments, and modern asphalt concrete. The term is also often used to describe airport aprons, "ramps", and runways.

Only due to rampant misuse of the term, endlessly repeated by reporters trying to sound knowlegable (and British).

"Tarmac was used extensively to construct runways during World War II but no modern major airports are using the material.The term “Tarmac” may have been further popularized when it became part of the news lexicon following live coverage of the Entebbe hijacking in 1976, where “Tarmac” was frequently used by the on-scene BBC reporter in describing the hijack scene."

https://aviationglossary.com/tarmac/

Now you know why I haven't rented a car for my professional society's annual symposium since 1984. A taxi to the meeting venue when I arrive and another back to the airport a week later makes far more sense than renting a car and paying to park it for a week.

I rarely rent a car at meetings and if I do, it's not at the airport. If I need one to visit friends in the burbs I just get a rental through the hotel. Also usually cheaper as it avoids the airport taxes.

I recently bought a bike with a bike motor and plan to move it to a folding bike when I find one on Craig'slist. I can do 25 on the flat.

When I can - I use Uber vs. a rental car for my business travels.

The basic reason is, I get to use it and walk away. I don't have to gas it up, I don't have to worry about it getting dented in a hotel parking lot, and I don't have the process of checking the car back in to the rental company and walking from there to the terminal.

Back