Rental Cars Suck

Other than Rental Cars, what is your most-used ground transportation once you reach your dest?

• Picked up by friends/family

• Taxi/Uber/Lyft

• Crew car

• Powered (electric/gas) scooter

• non-powered scooter

• folding bicycle

• hoverboard

• Hitchhiking/Craigslist Rideshare

• Public Transportation

• Magic Carpet

Results are only viewable after voting.
I see this as a problem that needs a solution.
Almost like there needs to be some way to have "self serve" crew cars or something...

Let me guess. You know just the developer who can solve this burning problem.

Is this some sort of business school homework assignment ?

Let me guess. You know just the developer who can solve this burning problem.

Is this some sort of business school homework assignment ?

What? No. Why presume that? I am not a developer, but solve problems for a living, so am wanting to solve this for the betterment of GA in this country. I think there is a desperate need for a better system. I mean, wouldn't it be nice to know when you land at an airport that no matter when you land, there is ground transportation?

Maybe not. Maybe everyone is satisfied with whatever method they have worked out on a case-by-case basis?

What? No. Why presume that? I am not a developer, but solve problems for a living, so am wanting to solve this for the betterment of GA in this country. I think there is a desperate need for a better system. I mean, wouldn't it be nice to know when you land at an airport that no matter when you land, there is ground transportation?

Maybe not. Maybe everyone is satisfied with whatever method they have worked out on a case-by-case basis?

What makes this so funny is that we had someone who solved this problem two or three years ago. His app lasted a year.

Having something like zipcars at small GA airports would be nice. So even if you arrive after hours, you just put your key-card on the sensor and unlock your car. But of course, they only deal with very dense populations and putting cars at small airports just for our convenience is not on their agenda.

At most airports with a functioning FBO, the 'problem' is already solved. The FBO is authorized by Enterprise to execute rental contracts and if you pre-order your car the CSR at the counter has everything ready when you get there. Some people have had issues with weekend returns not getting logged in until the following monday and an electronic way to check in a car would certainly be a nice feature, I personally have never experienced that issue.

I'm wondering if I can fit a Honda Grom in a 182 with the rear seat removed. If so, I may need to upgrade.

I have had a couple of terribly over priced rental experiences, but the vast majority were good experiences.

Again, what is being confirmed by the replies in this thread is that flying to small GA airports not served by airlines will result in limited options for getting around the local area you fly to. It's really a shame, since so many public use GA airports out there just have a self-serve fuel pump (if that), yet could be within 10 miles of where you are wanting to go and they simply cannot be used due to no ground transportation.
Almost like there needs to be some way to have "self serve" crew cars or something...

What 'zactly r u talking about? I'm in what I consider "the sticks" and I have always found a way to get where I needed to go once I landed.

If you add "my feet" then that's what I would vote.

What 'zactly r u talking about? I'm in what I consider "the sticks" and I have always found a way to get where I needed to go once I landed.

The whole point of this thread was to glean some understanding of HOW people "find a way" to get where they need to go. Please share any tips you have and also were you ever concerned about being stuck at the airport?

Doesn't require any minimum rentals. You sign up on their website, enter your driver's license and CC. The first time you rent they have to see your DL and CC, after that it's painless.
Thanks! Good to know!

Unrelated to the thread, but tell that to Atlantic in KOKC that charged me $170 dollars 2 weeks ago to put some air up on my tiny glorified go-kart tires. No that's not a typo. The treatment I got is certainly not what I expected. 3 year customer too. I contested the charge of course, I would have never agree to such a rate.

Sorry for the poor service. As a resident okie, please allow me to apologize for them. I landed at KWPA Wiley Post just up the street and they wanted to charge me $50 just to pick up a friend. The line guy asked if I paid, and I told him I'd settle on the way back. I haven't been back since.

I landed at Sundance a couple of miles to the west of KWPA and I had great service there. Their courtesy car were nicer than my cars. They had Range Rovers and Lexuses. All no charge.

I usually use the courtesy cars, most are just old cop cars. I'll fill up there and add fuel to the cars every 2-3 trips. This is 80-90% of the time. The other 10-20% someone from work will pick me up or we have an old company car which I leave at the airport.

Sounds like you're just renting from the wrong company. Always pleasant experiences with Enterprise.

The only bad experience I've had with Enterprise is the idiot at Taho/Truckee. I hope she no longer works there. But, I'm sure she's just someone else's problem. I'm very leary of small one or two man operations that are part of a national chain. They are the forgotten step-children with no supervision.

Sorry for the poor service. As a resident okie, please allow me to apologize for them. I landed at KWPA Wiley Post just up the street and they wanted to charge me $50 just to pick up a friend. The line guy asked if I paid, and I told him I'd settle on the way back. I haven't been back since.

I landed at Sundance a couple of miles to the west of KWPA and I had great service there. Their courtesy car were nicer than my cars. They had Range Rovers and Lexuses. All no charge.

I usually use the courtesy cars, most are just old cop cars. I'll fill up there and add fuel to the cars every 2-3 trips. This is 80-90% of the time. The other 10-20% someone from work will pick me up or we have an old company car which I leave at the airport.

Yeah, wife is from Midwest City, so I take her up there a couple times a year. I didn't bother with kpwa for the same reasons you highlight. Seemed just substituting the problem for a different location that appears to have the same attitude towards the small private owner. I'm going to try my luck with KOUN again. I used them a while back, it's lower profile but a longer drive into town, but it's just the principle of the matter at this point. I see the fbo is not listed on airnav so I better call and make sure they're still in business otherwise I may have to invest in that folding bicycle after all lol.

Incidentally, I'm not fancy enough, nor rent enough, to get one of those "elite" memberships where you just walk up and take any car you want.. I suppose that would make it easier
Doesn't require any minimum rentals. You sign up on their website, enter your driver's license and CC.
Although you don't have to have any minimums to join, don't you need to book a midsize or higher to take advantage of it?

So... What's your favorite method of non-rental car transportation (and why)?

Thanks.

The whole point of this thread was to glean some understanding of HOW people "find a way" to get where they need to go. Please share any tips you have and also were you ever concerned about being stuck at the airport?

Considering that's not the question you asked... looks like you're just wasting all of our time, by changing the question posed.

Favorite method: Whatever is available.
Favorite method to find out what they have available: Call. Takes two minutes.

Apps and crap just take longer or aren't updated properly and end up being a BIG problem when they're wrong. You know what's not wrong? A two minute phone call. An app won't tell you an underwater basket-weaving convention is in town and all the cars for 200 miles are booked.

The survey is missing a great option.

Car Service

In situations where I don't need transportation available to me at a destination, there have been several times a car service was actually the most economical option.

The most recent trip this was true was true was a visit to Florida. Car service...$35.00 each way. Car rental...$65.00 per day. I was on site for a week...no need to let a car stay parked at $65.00 per day...I spent $90.00 with tip on getting to the site and back instead of 400ish for a rental car.

So this is just like so many things in aviation...

It depends.

Last edited:

Car Service

How is that different than Uber/Taxi/Lift?

- IN SUMMARY -
Thank you all for your responses. I have concluded the following from them:
1. If you land at an airport with a FBO - great! They will probably help you find suitable ground transport. Also, Uber may be available. Car the FBO ahead of time - it takes 2 minutes.
2. If you land at an airport WITHOUT an FBO, and it's served by Uber/Taxi, then that is the best option.
3. If you land at an airport with no FBO and no taxi/Uber, then you are basically confined to an area 1-2 miles from that airport (depending on various factors). If you need to get further, don't land at the airport.

Maybe I will look more into Uber and see what areas it covers, but I will say that when getting my PPL, I heard the line that "with GA you can fly to so many more destinations than you could via airlines". While that is great, they don't mention what you can actually DO once you land at those airports. This greatly diminishes the perceived utility of GA, doesn't it?

Car Service

In situations where I don't need transportation available to me at a destination, there have been several times a car service was actually the most economical option.

The most recent trip this was true was true was a visit to Florida. Car service...$35.00 each way. Car rental...$65.00 per day. I was on site for a week...no need to let a car stay parked at $65.00 per day...I spent $90.00 with tip on getting to the site and back instead of 400ish for a rental car.

So this is just like so many things in aviation...

It depends.
Car Service? Explain a little further how that differs from an Uber or taxi?

Typically its prearranged and meets you on the tarmac...

Precleared at many FBOs

Drivers<edit> may </edit> have SIDA badges...

It also missed the obvious one. Walking. I've booked trips around what I could walk to before.

And if course there's also, "Family will come pick up." Done that a number of times, too.

And let's not forget, "Beg anyone else at the airport for a ride somewhere." That has worked at least once as well.

LOL.

Sometimes the rate for the rental car at the FBO location is higher than at a community location. That is frequently the result of a franchise tax collected by the airport. I can ***** and moan about it and complain if the FBO doesn't give me a ride to the local Hertz or I can just enjoy the luxury of someone pulling the rental up to my plane and pay price asked.
Yes you can B&M or you can rationally look at the charges you are reacting to and see if they really are a problem.

In my case I went back and looked at my last 6 rentals at 4 different locations. The 'francise tax/fee' charged for my Hertz cars were $7.20, 3.39, 18.97, 7.00 3.39 and 0. Are any or all of those worth the FBO handling involved? For me yes - especially when the car is pulled up to my plane, especially in the summer, or winter, or when raining, or with lots of bags....

(BTW, Thanks for motivating me go thru these - the $18.79 is from a wholly questionable rate and set of charges which I will challenge with Hertz and they will fix it.)
With hotels what I have received through the FBO is usually the 'government' rate and yes if the call comes from the FBO there is usually a room available.
What wrong with the 'government' rate other than the word government. It's better than walking up to a counter and getting the rack rate, or the AAA rate, or the Senior rate.
Again, what is being confirmed by the replies in this thread is that flying to small GA airports not served by airlines will result in limited options for getting around the local area you fly to. It's really a shame, since so many public use GA airports out there just have a self-serve fuel pump (if that), yet could be within 10 miles of where you are wanting to go and they simply cannot be used due to no ground transportation.
You should solve it then. I'm game.

To be more accurate, most of the airports I fly to don't have airline service but they do have rental cars. The ones with airline service tend to offer Hertz and usually good loaners. The ones without airline service usually have some rental option though I shop for Hertz. I find Enterprise a mixed bag but haven't learned the ins and outs. I'm really liking Uber. If the FBO is offering their own brand of rental, I try to avoid but I've also learned that the rate structure is often flexible (tiered). I try to work the flex whether it's just being a nice guy, acting desperately lost and needy, or just asking for the best rate.

Renting at the FBO has nothing to do with what is offered to commercial airline travelers and is typically less painful than Gold service at those same airlines. That's pretty darn good in most places most of the time (I went to Laguardia recently while everything is under construction - hell on earth it is but if you want to tour the old Marine Terminal, you will)

Bill "travel is for my pleasure only" Watson

I've mentioned it before, but Hertz and National are the best two in my experience, mostly because there is no line. I walk out to the car
I want, get in, and drive to the exit booth. No waiting in line, no taking whatever car they want to give me, no walking around the car with an attendant looking for any scratch they might try to pin on me later. Now, National doesn't operate much outside of the major Class B/C airports, but Enterprise is my go-to if Hertz isn't available. I rent vehicles an average of 1.5 weeks per month for business, so I have my rental outfits I use for each location I use down to an art. Gals at IAH (use National here) will toss me a cold bottle of water on the way to the Executive aisle without me even breaking stride. Using National, I hopped into a loaded Armada this week, was in an SS Camaro last month. With National, I normally have everything available from Maximas/Impalas to Tahoe/Explorers to F-150/Titans all for the price of any econobox (usually $32/day with corporate rate). I was given a ****ty Camry two weeks ago with Enterprise on a local rental, but I was in a hurry so I didn't bother trying to force them to change it. I loathe having to deal with car rental staff, not because they are unpleasant, but because the process is inefficient and cumbersome, which is why Hertz Gold and National Emerald programs work so well.

I'm really liking Uber.

I am starting to wonder if I should investigate Uber more. I was under the assumption that they were only in large cities. Any pilots have experience with Uber at not-so-populated areas of the USA?

It also missed the obvious one. Walking.

And let's not forget, "Beg anyone else at the airport for a ride somewhere." That has worked at least once as well.

LOL.

Walking is so obvious, I did not include it. Most of the passengers who I take with me don't like the idea of being a vagabond once you get to the destination. Also, begging for a ride is rather uncertain in terms of having a guaranteed result.

I am starting to wonder if I should investigate Uber more. I was under the assumption that they were only in large cities. Any pilots have experience with Uber at not-so-populated areas of the USA?

(KFMY) Page field isn't underpopulated but a buddy and me went down there for an AOPA seminar a while ago, paid $15 for the taxi to take us about 2 miles. They charged us an airport fee, and the rate sucked.

On the way back we said screw it and Uber'd it. Less than $8, half price or less.

Had a similar situation down at KVNC in Venice, walked to a restaurant after flying a few friends in for lunch and didn't want to walk back. Uber'd it for like $5.

Uber is pretty darn convenient.

Now days, Uber is pretty much in most heavily traveled areas. Lots of beach towns or tourist locations, big cities, etc. Limitation is typically either local ordinance(mostly big city problems) or lack of demand. Some areas may have drivers available only on weekend or only on weekdays. Lyft is smaller, but with recent Uber troubles has gained a lot in recent months. In many locations it's the same car/driver anyway. You should check both.

Easiest way to see if either one is available is to use the apps. Set your origin and destinations and see if any cars are available. You can do that well ahead of time.

Uber is NOT always the cheapest option. Sometimes taxi is a better choice.

I haven't yet rented a car flying GA. Last trip the plan was to rent the car(mostly for convenience of crossing the border) and I arranged that with the FBO, but the trip fell through. So far my top choices have been Uber/Lyft/taxi, my bike(when solo traveling), and crew cars(time limits usually make that not useful).

I so wish I could fit a scooter(150cc) into a plane.

What do you fly? I've considered an electric Razor scooter, which is 52 Lbs. - https://www.razor.com/products/electric-scooters/e300s/
Currently use a manual (push) razor scooter made for adults. It folds nicely for storage and is pretty handy for going 1-2 miles.

Rent and nothing that can fit anything with either speed or range to make it useful. Unless you have a cargo door and a ramp, you are limited to something that only weighs a few dozen pounds. Never mind the size and gas. Scooter/Motorcycle is just a pipe dream(ever since my PPL years ago). Hoverboards or anything electrified is just not worth it. Same for a decent folding bike. Both solutions will require a pair at least and will cost $$$. Non-folding bike is only ok in some planes and is a pain, so solo only.

What do you fly? I've considered an electric Razor scooter, which is 52 Lbs. - https://www.razor.com/products/electric-scooters/e300s/
Currently use a manual (push) razor scooter made for adults. It folds nicely for storage and is pretty handy for going 1-2 miles.

That Razor:
52lb
Speeds up to 15 mph
Up to 40 minutes of continuous use(probably means 20 min)
$180
still bulky

A cheap folding bike is probably a better deal.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Folding-Bik...orage-Black-College-School-Black/310985110144

An airline pilot recently recommended the Swagtron electric scooters for ground transport when flying GA. Swagtron Pro claims 16mph, 5-18 mile range (I interpret that to be 5 miles on smooth flat ground and 18 miles downhill on a smooth surface), and 16 lbs total weight. If your mission takes you to places where that makes sense, then it's possibly a good choice.

As stated earlier, you should very definitely check it out. I feel like I was late to the game. And the ONLY way to check it out at any level is to download the app and use it. I've been made happy, exhilarated and disappointed....

Availability can vary even at the same location at different times. Rates can vary as well but the driver doesn't control that. It's all supply/demand market driven.

My sense is that the drivers are getting squeezed as hard as they can and prices are set at what the market can bear at any particular time. It seems like a really great deal for users like us, it's a flexible job opportunity for the contractor/drivers, and it's an extremely promising business for investors (meaning they may or may not be making a profit but there is plenty of money looking to get in). What's not to like sitting at an airport looking for a lyft?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

An airline pilot recently recommended the Swagtron electric scooters for ground transport when flying GA. Swagtron Pro claims 16mph, 5-18 mile range (I interpret that to be 5 miles on smooth flat ground and 18 miles downhill on a smooth surface), and 16 lbs total weight. If your mission takes you to places where that makes sense, then it's possibly a good choice.

I just don't get the bike/scooter/razor thing at all. It's just not compatible with the luxury of traveling by plane. We always have bags and enjoy not having to carefully organize and pack them.

May make sense for the corporate pro who can end up anywhere waiting for whenever whoever shows up. Or perhaps for the connoisseur of $100 hamburgers. But we carry stuff and we need to move our stuff to a destination, and more often than not, doing it in the SE heat.

But most of all, I appreciate the safety of flying a small plane in these big skies where random violence or collisions with drunken yokels are few and very far between. Last thing I want to do at the end of a flight is expose my delicate carcass riding on some LiPo powered surfboard to a highway filled with Chevy pickups and 2 ton SUVs. Nope

I just don't get the bike/scooter/razor thing at all. It's just not compatible with the luxury of traveling by plane. We always have bags and enjoy not having to carefully organize and pack them.

May make sense for the corporate pro who can end up anywhere waiting for whenever whoever shows up. Or perhaps for the connoisseur of $100 hamburgers. But we carry stuff and we need to move our stuff to a destination, and more often than not, doing it in the SE heat.

But most of all, I appreciate the safety of flying a small plane in these big skies where random violence or collisions with drunken yokels are few and very far between. Last thing I want to do at the end of a flight is expose my delicate carcass riding on some LiPo powered surfboard to a highway filled with Chevy pickups and 2 ton SUVs. Nope

As I said, if it fits your mission. It doesn't work for mine at all and clearly doesn't work for yours. But there are certainly some people for whom it works just fine.

I landed at KWPA Wiley Post just up the street and they wanted to charge me $50 just to pick up a friend. The line guy asked if I paid, and I told him I'd settle on the way back. I haven't been back since.

WTF??????? So they told you there was a fee and you knowingly left without paying? That is a crappy thing to do.

Walking is so obvious, I did not include it. Most of the passengers who I take with me don't like the idea of being a vagabond once you get to the destination. Also, begging for a ride is rather uncertain in terms of having a guaranteed result.

There was nothing in the original question about guaranteed results. ;)

One more got missed. Some airports have shuttles to places, as do hotels.

Vegas comes to mind.

It really is a "whatever works" kinda thing. Completely different at each airport.

Best stock car race I have ever seen was when 5 race teams showed up at the rental car counter at the same time.

Best stock car race I have ever seen was when 5 race teams showed up at the rental car counter at the same time.

A version of that goes on every race weekend at KJQF... best to stay away.

...is just not worth it. Same for a decent folding bike. Both solutions will require a pair at least and will cost $$$.

A little bit of patience and Craigslist is your friend here. A shiny new Brompton is not required for an item that will only get used a few times a year. Lots of "lightly used" stuff out there, though.

I've have a Giant Halfway and 2 full size folding Fujis that were less than $100 each, all nearly new, and fit the purpose just fine.

Back