Remove Expiration Dates from CFI Certificates Proposal

brcase

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
Did I miss the discussion about this proposal here?

https://safeblog.org/2022/02/19/cfi-experience-renewal-no-expiration/

Since I just called the FSDO to renew mine today, I am thinking I really like this idea.

Short Version is instead of having to have a certificate re-issued every year, just log either in your logbook or possibly on FAAsafety.gov that you have met the requirements to keep it active, like we do with our pilot certificates.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Yeah, David St. George of SAFE posted that up a couple weeks ago on various social media, but at the time it was literally just a picture of a slide at some presentation without even a source on it. So while it caused a flurry of interest, there wasn't much in the way of actual detail.

It's very much not even a formal proposal yet.

I'm not opposed to the idea at all, although I suspect the only real difference would be that we wouldn't get a new certificate every two years. We'd still have to do the same stuff to "renew" though, I would imagine.

It's not like it makes a whole lot of difference in my experience. I've never had a student ask to see my CFI certificate, to check its expiration date, for example.

I'm not opposed to the idea at all, although I suspect the only real difference would be that we wouldn't get a new certificate every two years. We'd still have to do the same stuff to "renew" though, I would imagine.

It sounded to me like the currency requirements might be changed in the proposal. Depending on what they come up with, I would be in favor of it because I give a fair amount of instruction but not the kind of instruction that would keep me from needing to do a renewal course or checkride.

I just wish they’d have this sorted out by the end of June, when my certificate expires. That’s wishful thinking though.

We'll have to see what the actual proposed rule looks like. Recency is indeed one of the ways to renew now, so it's not clear how much this would change things other than moving the paperwork into a different domain.

It would save a pointless trip to FSDO and save everyone time.

I've never had a student ask to see my CFI certificate, to check its expiration date, for example.

I've sometimes looked my instructors up on the FAA's Airman database, which does show the expiration date of their CFI certificate.

For comparison and contemplation. Last March due to covid, most Inspection Authorizations were renewed on IACRA and a letter was issued via IACRA stating the IA had been renewed. This was done in lieu of an ASI signing the back of the paper IA card. There is talk that going forward, all IAs will be renewed this way and that initial issuance might also move to IACRA. There is even talk of doing away with the paper card altogether and going to a plastic IA card or even adding it to the Mechanic Certificate as a renewable rating. Makes good sense to me.

From the reginfo.gov website:

the rule would call for the flight instructor to meet and demonstrate recent experience requirements

I guess it depends on what the recent experience requirements are. For CFIs who don't recommend applicants for checkrides or enough to meet the 5 and 80% hurdle, what would recent experience be? Some sort of special flight review for CFIs by DPEs?

It doesn't seem logical to eliminate FIRCs and then count flight reviews or IPCs as recent experience if the concern is that CFIs are somehow deficient due to present FIRC renewal option.

It's hard to take a stance when a key piece of information hasn't been provided.

I would suspect it would be much like the current rules for ground instructors. (91.217). You have the option of the FIRC or another instructor signing you off. As I said, all they're doing is changing the paperwork domain. I.e., they're getting it off the plate of the FSDO guys so they have more time to go around firing DPEs :)

From the reginfo.gov website:

the rule would call for the flight instructor to meet and demonstrate recent experience requirements

I guess it depends on what the recent experience requirements are. For CFIs who don't recommend applicants for checkrides or enough to meet the 5 and 80% hurdle, what would recent experience be? Some sort of special flight review for CFIs by DPEs?

It doesn't seem logical to eliminate FIRCs and then count flight reviews or IPCs as recent experience if the concern is that CFIs are somehow deficient due to present FIRC renewal option.

It's hard to take a stance when a key piece of information hasn't been provided.

What about those that instruct at their respective airline conducting IOE ? They actively instruct but never sign anyone off for a rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The change would save the money spent processing 58,000 CFI renewals every year. Not a big percentage the the FAA budget, but an unneeded expense.

Part of the issue the large number of CFI certificates held buy pilots that don’t instruct.

Last edited:
What about those that instruct at their respective airline conducting IOE ? They actively instruct but never sign anyone off for a rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If your job description includes evaluating pilots, you should be able to renew under the “duties and responsibilities” checkbox.

Back