Removal of type rating SOE limitation without getting the SOE

RussR

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Russ
If your first type rating is done in a simulator like many are, and you do not meet the 61.64 requirements for turbine experience, your type rating comes with a 25 hour Supplemental Operating Experience requirement, during which you must have another fully-PIC qualified pilot in the other control seat.

After you get the 25 hours, you go to the FSDO and they remove the SOE limitation.

According to 61.64(g), the only way to get the SOE limitation removed is by getting this 25 hours of experience in the type aircraft involved.

My question is this: if, prior to obtaining the 25 hours of SOE, the other requirements in 61.64 (that would have prevented the SOE requirement in the first place) are met, can that be used as justification for removal of the SOE limitation? (The literal, 61.64 answer is "no".)

This isn't that far-fetched. I got my CE-500 type rating in January. Due to a change in opportunities and market demand, I still do not have my 25 hours of SOE completed. Eventually, someday I will meet the experience requirements that would have prevented having the SOE in the first place (such as 2000 total hours and 500 turbine) and would like to get the excessively wordy SOE requirement off my pilot certificate.

Anybody have any experience with this?

Short of surrendering the type rating and taking the type ride again, there’s no way to remove an SOE without getting the 25 hours.

I see a few certificates with old SOE limitations that will probably never go away for that reason.

Hello Russ,

MauleSkinner is correct -- you must earn the 25 hours to remove the limitation.

So here I am rehashing an old thread of mine.

As discussed in another thread, I may have the opportunity soon to fly a Citation 1/SP. The prospective owner wants me to be single-pilot and will send me to training for this. If I do it in the airplane (not the simulator), and since I am already type rated in the CE-500 series, would the 61.58 pilot proficiency check itself serve as a "checkride in the airplane" and remove the SOE requirement?

61.42g and 8900.1 para 5-327 do not address this situation, and therefore I assume the answer is "no", however logical it may sound (to me, anyway).

Possibly academic anyway, since I would really need some more experience just to be safe, but I assume the owner will just have to cough up for 13 hours of two-pilot operation (the remainder I need for the SOE), which of course is not a bad idea anyway. If I do the recurring training in the airplane, that would count towards it too.

Yeah, I don't think a 61.58 will get rid of your SOE. That said, I can't imagine the owner having a problem with paying a day rate for someone to sit with you for 13 hours. Regardless of my experience, I'm always happy to have another qualified guy there to teach me new stuff!

Hi Russ. Glad to hear you're getting some opportunities.

Same answer as before - the SOE limitation will only be removed once you've met the 25 hour requirement.

I think RussR has SIC Required attached to his CE500 type rating. If he takes a checkride, in the airplane, to remove the SIC Required will that remove the SOE? I am guessing no.

I think RussR has SIC Required attached to his CE500 type rating. If he takes a checkride, in the airplane, to remove the SIC Required will that remove the SOE? I am guessing no.
Still no…the ONLY way to remove the SOE is with the 25 hours.

Back