Relocating the six-pack

Katamarino

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Katamarino
Until recently I owned a C172. The six-pack was centered on the pilot's side, with the gyro instruments directly in front of me, in line with the yoke, like so:

Nu44NXd.jpg

My new C182 has the six pack off-set one hole to the left. I don't really like looking left to see my main flight instruments so I am debating moving things to be like the C172 was, like so:

Old:
jAtJlCs.jpg

New:
liMX0QX.jpg

Is there any pressing reason not to do this? I'd put in a new aluminium panel at the same time.

Looks doable as long as the JPI fits. There could be depth issues in that hole, especially if you tried to flush mount it.

Looks good, I'd have the second CDI and JPI on the right side between the radio stack and the altimeter, rather have my engine vitals and secondary nav head closer to more of a focus point and closer to the nav/com.

I think the absolutely stupidest thing you can do with your money in an airplane is move instruments. If it's your airplane and you're flying it all the time you'll get used to whatever's there. Moving instruments costs lots f money and you don't get anything new out of it. The only reason that would impel me to move instruments is if I was putting my aircraft on a rental line. Another good way to loose money.

The stupidest thing you can do with your money outside an airplane is smoke cigarettes. You're better off burning it than doing that. If you burn your money you'll get some light and heat, and you won't be ingesting toxins that will shorten your lifespan, give you cancer, and make you, your clothes, your house, your belongings and your dog smell bad.

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing on my 182. The only thing I can think of was that 2 VORs and ADF were closer to those radios, and the rest of the instruments fit left of em. Now with GPS and HSI, no need to use that space.

You might want to hold out another year or two and maybe Dynon Skyview HDX will be available for the 182. Your panel now isn't bad, while it may be annoying to have the transpoder all the way over there in no-man's land I could live with it. I just see two G5's and all that panel work costing a ton of money and you might be able to get a fully glass system with synthetic vision for about the same price.

I relocated my six-pack. I put a shed over it.

I think the absolutely stupidest thing you can do with your money in an airplane is move instruments. If it's your airplane and you're flying it all the time you'll get used to whatever's there. Moving instruments costs lots f money and you don't get anything new out of it. The only reason that would impel me to move instruments is if I was putting my aircraft on a rental line. Another good way to loose money.
I do understand your point of view but I disagree. If the OP's plane was mine and he is adding the new G5's anyway, that is a perfect time to move stuff around. Flying single pilot in IMC regularly, I'd want a "standard" setup with the AI and HSI front and center. If I was a VFR only pilot, it wouldn't matter as much.

Since your adding the G5’s makes sense to make the panel the wY you want it.

I don't think its allthat bad of idea either. I would probably put CDI #2 below where your VSI will be.

I moved instruments while putting G5, didn’t pay a dime extra. I did move JPI 830 to the right above the 2nd CDI, easier to scan between AI and GPS.

Some people think putting glass in 40 year old plane is waste of money, I could say the same thing about putting a marble countertop on a kitchen table, especially when that darn thing will never fly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You get used to it. I'm flying with a shotgun panel in the Skywagon and I find that the components are far more important than their placement, even when I redo the panel I'm going to keep the steam gauges in their place. But YMMV and as others have said it's your plane!

Oh, I thought this thread was gonna discuss relocating a six-pack of beer down the hatch. Never mind. Keeping St Paddy's Day in mind...

images

Looks pretty easy to recess mount it in the existing cutout and a whole new level of PITA to recess mount them over the yoke shaft, this is a 182L.

Attachments

• Panel.png
    Panel.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
The G5 adapter plates are even taller than that existing rectangular hole. If I wanted to put the G5s above the yoke shaft they would have to be pushed up vertically signicantly to clear the yoke shaft mount. Kinda looks like maybe .30" or so.

Last edited:
I was just eyeballing my panel yesterday and contemplating this very thing. My G5's should be here in a week or so.

my only concern would be the length of the instruments interfering with flight controls in their new locations.

Not a safety issue, but are the harnesses for the nav instruments long enough.

my only concern would be the length of the instruments interfering with flight controls in their new locations.

Not a safety issue, but are the harnesses for the nav instruments long enough.

The #2 CDI mentioned in the OP is a long one no doubt and would probably require a longer wiring harness. If that 182 is built like the L model I'm working clearance shouldn't be an issue as far as flight controls.

The two vacuum powered gyros I pulled last night are placared weighing over 6 pounds for both. One G5 instrument with standby battery is .98 pounds

Looks pretty easy to recess mount it in the existing cutout and a whole new level of PITA to recess mount them over the yoke shaft, this is a 182L.

Very interesting to see this, thanks! Would love to see a couple of pictures as you go to see how it all goes together, if you wouldn't mind.

Very interesting to see this, thanks! Would love to see a couple of pictures as you go to see how it all goes together, if you wouldn't mind.

Due to the yoke shaft issue I plan on taking the easy way out and putting the G5s where the gyros came out. I think all I need to do is open up the rectangle another .15" vertically, cut a .040" thick plate like below and pick-up the four existing screw holes on the top and bottom edge of the existing cutout.

upload_2018-3-23_12-56-47.png

I'd be very careful where I'm cutting, do not alter structure.

Back