Registration Delays

PleasantRoad

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PleasantRoad
Bought a vintage aircraft in November. Sent my registration application, $5 fee and the bill of sale into the FAA and it was received in November. Have been flying with a copy of the registration application as temporary registration for 90 days per the application instructions. The FAA is far behind with registrations as of today working on those received on or about 10/29/21. You are unable to talk to anyone at the registration office. I sent an email inquiring about my registration and confirmed it was received and will be processed in order by date. I inquired about a temporary extension since my registration has not been processed and it is now outside the 90 days. I was told that the previous owner had an extension prior to my purchase and that I am not eligible for an extension due to this previous extension being granted. Is this typical? I spoke with the AOPA and they are thinking that my 90 day temporary registration should be extended as the new owner since they haven’t been able to process the application in a timely manner. I tried to explain this through email to the registration office but they continue to say that it is not eligible due to the previous extension. For now my plane sits in the hangar waiting to be flown.

Last edited:
You are unable to talk to anyone at the registration office.
Interesting. I've spoken to several reg people on several occasions over the past 4 months assisting a friend from Alaska with their registration. Never had a problem getting through. That's not same issue I had with my FSDO though. What number are you using?

Calling 1 866 762 9434. The automated line works. When I pick the option to speak to someone about registrations it goes to a message saying “we are experiencing high call volumes and are unable to take your call. Please try back at a later time.” I’ve called a dozen times yesterday and again today. I expected an extension to keep flying would be simple since they are so far behind with registrations.

I sold mine on November 22nd and he's still flying under my name

Calling 1 866 762 9434. The automated line works. When I pick the option to speak to someone about registrations it goes to a message saying “we are experiencing high call volumes and are unable to take your call. Please try back at a later time.” I’ve called a dozen times yesterday and again today. I expected an extension to keep flying would be simple since they are so far behind with registrations.

You have to call absolute first thing in the morning.

Calling 1 866 762 9434. The automated line works.
Call (405)954-3116. Its the published direct local line and was directed to use that one on my 1st email last October. The automated line handles all calls and you get put in a queue. Plus there are still people working from home to the best of my knowledge.

I sold mine on November 22nd and he's still flying under my name

As long as you sent in your old registration with reverse side filled out stating ownership was transferred to [new owners name and address] as required by regulation, you're golden.

Last edited:
I’ll try to give a call tomorrow although I have called the first minute they opened yesterday and today. The 1800 number goes right to the automated message.

I received an email from the registration dept today that stated that the previous owner had an extension that ended on 10/6/21 and the aircraft would not be eligible for another extension. I purchased the aircraft on 10/25/21. I don’t see how any extension from the previously registered owner would effect extending the registration application I submitted.

i got through to them a couple of hours ago right before they closed. keep trying.

I received an email from the registration dept today that stated that the previous owner had an extension that ended on 10/6/21 and the aircraft would not be eligible for another extension. I purchased the aircraft on 10/25/21. I don’t see how any extension from the previously registered owner would effect extending the registration application I submitted.

The previous owner's extension to their old registration shouldn't shouldn't matter, you sent in an application for a new registration. Perhaps there is more to the story that is holding things up? Why did the previous owner get an extension?

I just the approved Bill of Sale. It was marked Received October 20, 2021. Stamped bill received Tuesday. Still have not received registration.

The registration is changed in Flightaware.

Okay then, I’m not crazy to think the old reg extension shouldn’t matter.
I’m unsure why there was a previous extension. I assume due to the same delays as now - staffing/Covid/etc. I am in contact with him so I will ask.
The database online does show pending for the previous owners name but the address is correct and the email I received stated the correct name of the previous owner. My new application for registration should supersede any old registration. Hopefully with talking to someone in the phone I will be able to straighten things out. I’m a student pilot coming up on my checkride so I’d like to keep flying and not be grounded for the next month until they get to my application. They are working on 10/29/21 applications as of today and mine was accepted 11/16/21.

The previous owner's extension to their old registration shouldn't shouldn't matter, you sent in an application for a new registration. Perhaps there is more to the story that is holding things up? Why did the previous owner get an extension?

Okay then, I’m not crazy to think the old reg extension shouldn’t matter.
I’m unsure why there was a previous extension. I assume due to the same delays as now - staffing/Covid/etc. I am in contact with him so I will ask.
The database online does show pending for the previous owners name but the address is correct and the email I received stated the correct name of the previous owner. My new application for registration should supersede any old registration. Hopefully with talking to someone in the phone I will be able to straighten things out. I’m a student pilot coming up on my checkride so I’d like to keep flying and not be grounded for the next month until they get to my application. They are working on 10/29/21 applications as of today and mine was accepted 11/16/21.

So it sounds like the previous owner did not own the aircraft very long? The previous owner may have gotten things screwed up to the point where their mess will need to be addressed prior to processing your application. What is the N number?

I don't know if one of the title companies can clear up the paperwork quicker for you in the current Covid climate but it might be worth a try calling one of them.

Finally able to get through to someone on the phone today. They were very helpful. Went through all the documents I submitted, got my email and said that an extension will be emailed. They did note that I need to send a corrected bill of sale in because the previous owner put his name where the LLC should have been printed. That new bill of sale is on the way and they should get to my paperwork in about 2 weeks according to to the agent. Fingers crossed that’s all it takes.

Its not going to get any better with the last 2 snow days.

Back