Registering to Use Apps

LevelWing

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
LevelWing
When you download a new app that requires you to register in order to use it, do you prefer to create your own username/account or link it to your Facebook or Twitter account?

When you download a new app that requires you to register in order to use it, do you prefer to create your own username/account or link it to your Facebook or Twitter account?

As I use neither facebook or twitter, I guess I must just create my own.

As I use neither facebook or twitter, I guess I must just create my own.
:yeahthat: Never had an account and never will. No matter how great your app is, it will be deleted immediately if I see social media integration garbage.

I've never downloaded an app in my life. My wife's and daughter's phones are filled with so many apps that the batteries on their new iphones have to be charged twice a day. It will be the middle of the night and I can hear their phones pinging because someone they know has posted something on facebook.

I use my phone for talking, texting, alarm and occasionally I need to use the browser.

As for linking anything to other accounts, I just don't do it. I have a fb account that I haven't logged on to in quite a while, but if a website won't let me in unless I link it to my fb account...well, I didn't need to use the site that bad after all.

I will use a social media account to log in (makes it really simple) as long as they don't ask for any crazy permissions. If the app just wants to know my e-mail address (of my social media account), I'm ok with that. If the app wants to use my social media account to get access to my contacts or something, I'll just manually create an account.

:yeahthat: Never had an account and never will. No matter how great your app is, it will be deleted immediately if I see social media integration garbage.
Do you mean if social media integration is the only way to register an account, or if you see it at all, regardless if you have the option to create your own?

I will not use any site or app that requires login by or connection to any other account, period. I don't care how great the site or app is otherwise.

I also have closed existing accounts on sites that switched to third-party logins.

Rich

I will not use any site or app that requires login by or connection to any other account, period. I don't care how great the site or app is otherwise.

I also have closed existing accounts on sites that switched to third-party logins.

Rich

Me, too. Google and FB have no need for information on what other sites I use.

I do use Google Authenticator as "second factor security" for some sites, but it does not require the user ID/password, but it does not collect information for Google to mine. It's merely a second factor to the UID/PW combo

Last edited:

Rich
:yes::yes::yes:

Glad to see I'm not the only one who engages in this behavior.

I do not understand why sites do this and why so many are hung up on facebooger.

:yes::yes::yes:

Glad to see I'm not the only one who engages in this behavior.

I do not understand why sites do this and why so many are hung up on facebooger.

I'm not current on it, but when FB was first pushing its "Connect" service, it gave site owners access to some of the data they'd compiled about the users, as well as access to certain other APIs. It's probably changed since then, and probably not for the better as far as user privacy is concerned.

In theory, it also validates users' true identities, which is laughable considering the high percentage of phony FB accounts.

Rich

Rich
So as long as you can register an account with that particular app, and it does not connect to a third party service (such as Facebook or Twitter), that's ok? Just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly.

So as long as you can register an account with that particular app, and it does not connect to a third party service (such as Facebook or Twitter), that's ok? Just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly.

Yes, that's correct. I will create an account with that app using one my email addresses and a password, but I will not use an app that requires me to use a third-party login or requires a social networking account.

(If the app or site provides a social networking option, but does not require it, that's fine.)

Rich

Do you mean if social media integration is the only way to register an account, or if you see it at all, regardless if you have the option to create your own?

For registering, as soon as I see a FB login I start to question the app. Why does it want to share information with a disease such as FB, a company that is actively fights against privacy? Can I trust the developer knowing he already whored out to FB and probably supports their policies?

In the app itself, menus with "share on FB/Twitter/whatever" put me off. The app should detect that I do not have FB configured and remove the options. Being bombarded with a bunch of useless choices for disreputable companies is spam, and there are probably other apps I can download without that nonsense.

For registering, as soon as I see a FB login I start to question the app. Why does it want to share information with a disease such as FB, a company that is actively fights against privacy? Can I trust the developer knowing he already whored out to FB and probably supports their policies?

In the app itself, menus with "share on FB/Twitter/whatever" put me off. The app should detect that I do not have FB configured and remove the options. Being bombarded with a bunch of useless choices for disreputable companies is spam, and there are probably other apps I can download without that nonsense.

Just having the app on your phone will allow FB to track you every time you use it through cookies & device identifier (which bypasses the need for cookies).

No reason to tie into a social web site. I like to create my own account.

Just having the app on your phone will allow FB to track you every time you use it through cookies & device identifier (which bypasses the need for cookies).

That only works if Facebook is installed. Forums like this are as close to "social media" as I ever get. I also NEVER give permission to any app to mine my contact list. :no:

People are so melodramatic.

Why does it want to share information with a disease such as FB

Because many users like that feature, and it's very convenient.

Can I trust the developer knowing he already whored out to FB and probably supports their policies?

Generally yes, no reason to think you can't.

The app should detect that I do not have FB configured and remove the options.

You don't like an app to have permissions that could have privacy implications, but you do think that the app should have the desire and ability to scan your other apps to see what's there?

Being bombarded with a bunch of useless choices for disreputable companies is spam

Hardly.

It will be the middle of the night and I can hear their phones pinging because someone they know has posted something on facebook.

You could show them the built in feature to stop the middle of the night noise. Available in manual stick shift mode or automatic...

408705047f7b4f532f60beafb1c7d23a.jpg

aec632882589e7036d9f5729ea962e20.jpg

Back