kgruber

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skywag
Is there any special attributes needed to call an airport "regional?"

Kind of like it takes customs service to call an airport "international."

TIA

I dont believe so. Fort Collins airport (FNL) Recently got renamed from Fort Collins-Loveland Airport to Northern Colorado Regional. There is no scheduled air service (anymore).

...Kind of like it takes customs service to call an airport "international."

TIA
not sure where you're getting that information. Clow International Airport (1C5) is a one-strip, non-towered class G airport and I can verify that there is no customs service at Clow. But there is a very good on-field restaurant!

There is nothing magical in the name of the airport. Usually international means customs, but there is no law or regulation stipulating how to name airports.

No, it only takes customs to make it an international airport. You can call it whatever you want.

For example, 1C5, Clow International. *NOT* an international airport, but it's called International.
An even more fun example is 48U - The Greater Green River Intergalactic Spaceport.

Not sure about "Regional" but "Reliever" has some specific legalese attached to it, I've heard. Example: KAPA has wording somewhere in some documents (unknown to me) for their Federal monies that they're not supposed to offer "Airline" service... related to their "reliever" status with DEN...

Which makes the Denver Air Connection "charter" stuff (which runs on a schedule)... somewhat of a PITA for the airport management... is what I've heard... but FAA and the airport SO FAR say it's "charter" and not an "airline service"...

http://www.denverairconnection.com/30-seat-dornier

Quite a bit of mumbo-jumbo on their website explaining what "Public Charter" is... and claiming the flights are flown by both Part 135 and Part 121 carriers... carefully not saying which type they are. :)

not sure where you're getting that information. Clow International Airport (1C5) is a one-strip, non-towered class G airport and I can verify that there is no customs service at Clow. But there is a very good on-field restaurant!

I second the restaurant rating:D

Cheers

No, it only takes customs to make it an international airport. You can call it whatever you want.

For example, 1C5, Clow International. *NOT* an international airport, but it's called International.
An even more fun example is 48U - The Greater Green River Intergalactic Spaceport.
Sad fact: Green River is not in the path of totality for this month's solar eclipse. Otherwise that is exactly where we would be having our POA fly-in eclipse party.

What part of GGRIS do you find "calling it whatever you want"? I take it that you haven't been there on alternate Tuesday nights at midnight?

call<>make YMWV but that's your problem
The point was, what's the difference between "customs service" and "customs" as mentioned in the latter post I quoted. LOL

TIA

In some states, a regional airport denotes that more than one govt agency is involved with oversight. The airport may be governed as a port authority and more than one entity appoints directors to the board. Such as the county and a city. http://columbusairports.com/about-us/board-of-directors/

I second the restaurant rating:D

Is it a "world class" restaurant? ;)

wellll, I'm pretty sure that one of the museum members at Clow once flew to Canada. so there. ;)

The point was, what's the difference between "customs service" and "customs" as mentioned in the latter post I quoted. LOL
The point is that one was "called" international without being international while what "makes" an international airport is customs (service). That's the point.

The kitchen staff probably includes international workers. :D

Not sure about "Regional" but "Reliever" has some specific legalese attached to it, I've heard. Example: KAPA has wording somewhere in some documents (unknown to me) for their Federal monies that they're not supposed to offer "Airline" service... related to their "reliever" status with DEN...

Which makes the Denver Air Connection "charter" stuff (which runs on a schedule)... somewhat of a PITA for the airport management... is what I've heard... but FAA and the airport SO FAR say it's "charter" and not an "airline service"...

http://www.denverairconnection.com/30-seat-dornier

Quite a bit of mumbo-jumbo on their website explaining what "Public Charter" is... and claiming the flights are flown by both Part 135 and Part 121 carriers... carefully not saying which type they are. :)
Scheduled charter is not a big deal. Many "Airlines" operated that way for years. American Trans Air comes to mind. They became a full-fledged airline later in life.

Scheduled charter is not a big deal. Many "Airlines" operated that way for years. American Trans Air comes to mind. They became a full-fledged airline later in life.

Understand. The issue here is that they can't remain at the current airport base of operations if they ever do that.

Sad fact: Green River is not in the path of totality for this month's solar eclipse. Otherwise that is exactly where we would be having our POA fly-in eclipse party.
Bummer.

TIA
Nah. Just "marketing" I think. Like the Boston Patriots becoming the New England Patriots. The "Rockies" being identified by the whole state of Colorado instead of the city they are in. Texas Rangers. Golden State Warriors. The Angels used to be 'California' .......................

Trying to sound informative when there is no basis behind the statement?

There is a factual basis to it. CBP calls an airport 'international airport' if they have a full-time presence there. There are other airports with customs, iirc they are called 'agreement' or 'user fee' depending on how the customs office is staffed.

What customs calls an airport has no bearing on how an airport owner names and markets the field. Plenty of airports have 'international' in their name although they are not on the lists of CBPs 'international airports' and some like Clow just do it to make fun of the term.

KHEF calls itself 'Manassas Regional Airport' although the underlying legal entity is the city of Manassas and not any regional authority or funding source. A couple of years ago, in their infinite wisdom they had the FAA change the city the airport is associated with to 'Washington, DC'. So now you have an airport located in Prince William County VA, operated by the independent city of Manassas yet it shows up under 'Washington, DC' on airnav or anything else that harvests the FAA master record.

Maybe regionals are funded by more than one municipality... Just a guess.. probably a bad one...

The name of an airport is determined by the people who run the airport, and it can be changed at any time for any reason. Montgomery Field in San Diego for instance recently changed its name to Montgomery-Gibbs Executive Airport. They didn't add any more executive features to get that title, just a name. There are a bunch of "intergalactic spaceports" out there as well as "International" airports that aren't.

So now you have an airport located in Prince William County VA, operated by the independent city of Manassas yet it shows up under 'Washington, DC' on airnav or anything else that harvests the FAA master record.

Nope, Harry P. Davis Field/Manassas Regional Airport is ENTIRELY within the independent city of Manassas. The airport property is connected Manassas proper by a narrow tract of city land that surrounds Gateway Drive (the airport access road).

You're right about the silly redesignation as Washington DC, but it's not much worse than Dulles just a few miles to the north calling itself Washington as well. They wanted HEF to pop up in the DC searches.

Last edited:
Well yeah, Shawnee Regional Airport. No customs, 4 employees!
I would guess operated by a municipality because the City of Shawnee ran the airport.

I write my home drome hangar rent check to Greene County Regional Airport Authority. It would be cool to write it to the Greene County International Airport. Make me an international tycoon, I suppose.

Cheers

Nah. Just "marketing" I think. Like the Boston Patriots becoming the New England Patriots. The "Rockies" being identified by the whole state of Colorado instead of the city they are in. Texas Rangers. Golden State Warriors. The Angels used to be 'California' .......................

You also have the Carolina Panthers rather than just being North Carolina or Charlotte. They capture two states that way. New England captures Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut and Rhode Island for a total of 6 states. It is good marketing along with a way to increase your fan base.

Nope, Harry P. Davis Field/Manassas Regional Airport is ENTIRELY within the independent city of Manassas. The airport property is connected Manassas proper by a narrow tract of city land that surrounds Gateway Drive (the airport access road).

I knew there would be some pedantic nitpickery about that item from someone. Should have used 'within the confines of' or some other word construct to make the fine point that the airport is not located on land under county jurisdiction.

You're right about the silly redesignation as Washington DC, but it's not much worse than Dulles just a few miles to the north calling itself Washington as well. They wanted HEF to pop up in the DC searches.

Well, Dulles was built as an airport for DC based on a law called the 'Washington Airports Act of 1950'. Their claim to being an airport for the district is somewhat more logical than that of HEF. National isn't in DC either.

KHEF calls itself 'Manassas Regional Airport' although the underlying legal entity is the city of Manassas and not any regional authority or funding source. A couple of years ago, in their infinite wisdom they had the FAA change the city the airport is associated with to 'Washington, DC'. So now you have an airport located in Prince William County VA, operated by the independent city of Manassas yet it shows up under 'Washington, DC' on airnav or anything else that harvests the FAA master record.

My last book of WI/IL approach plates before I got my iPad had 146 pages of approaches in "Chicago, IL", partially due to the god-awful marketing of Rockford making it the "Chicago-Rockford International Airport". They're just not even close.

My last book of WI/IL approach plates before I got my iPad had 146 pages of approaches in "Chicago, IL", partially due to the god-awful marketing of Rockford making it the "Chicago-Rockford International Airport". They're just not even close.
That's nothing. KDEN is listed under Denver.

:rofl:

Believe it or not, KRFD is over three times farther from Chicago than KDEN is from Denver!
That's fair. Calling Rockford "a" Chicago airport is at least as ridiculous as calling KDEN "the" Denver airport. I guess my real complaint about KDEN isn't so much that it's so far from Denver. It's that the "airport" hotels are so close to Denver. When 83% of connecting passengers miss their connections at your airport, it would be nice to put them up in a hotel that is closer to the airport than their final destination was.

Back