Region of reverse command

Thank you all kindly for your input. I’m just going to have to do some trial and error. I suppose.
You might want to read "Stick and Rudder" it explains everything very precisely. I especially like the format of "what the pilot wants to do" vs "what the airplane wants to do" and what the pilot should do. It is very enlightening.

Seems like there’d be less confusion if the actual definition of region of reverse command was used.
You can use the best glide speed as a good proxy for the maximum L/D speed, which is a goodapproximation of the airspeed where maximum excess power is available in level flight. Below this airspeed, nosing up will decrease excess power available. Above this airspeed, nosing up will increase excess power available. The low airspeed flight regime is what pilots will recognize as "slow flight." Everything else faster, including cruise, is outside that regime. Anytime you are in the "slow flight" regime, the urge to "nose up to go up" should be resisted as the first recourse. But anyone who understands slow flight knows this.

You can use the best glide speed as a good proxy for the maximum L/D speed, which is a goodapproximation of the airspeed where maximum excess power is available in level flight. Below this airspeed, nosing up will decrease excess power available. Above this airspeed, nosing up will increase excess power available. The low airspeed flight regime is what pilots will recognize as "slow flight." Everything else faster, including cruise, is outside that regime. Anytime you are in the "slow flight" regime, the urge to "nose up to go up" should be resisted as the first recourse. But anyone who understands slow flight knows this.
true…but with the ”definitions” that are being thrown around here, a loop or split-s is flown by going into the region of reverse command by either pulling or rolling, and then pulling back into the region of normal command.

Hmmm, did he get it wrong, or was he demonstrating the awesome utility of massive excess power?

As close as he was to the water, it was a screwup.

The REAL question is, if you were going to hit the water at the USNA graduation airshow, do you eject or ride it in????

Back