Redbird FMX sim & Logbook time

Daz

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Daz
I know that I’m able to log time for shooting approaches in the Redbird FMX simulator and that PPL students can log up to 2.5 hours towards their PPL. Question is, as an CFI, can I log the 2.5 hours as instructor time too when instructing my student in the sim?

Cheers,
Darren

I know that I’m able to log time for shooting approaches in the Redbird FMX simulator and that PPL students can log up to 2.5 hours towards their PPL. Question is, as an CFI, can I log the 2.5 hours as instructor time too when instructing my student in the sim?

Cheers,
Darren
Make sure you save photos of the Letter of Authorization that should be posted near the sim.

If your logged time is ever challenged, this will aid in making your case.

Make sure you save photos of the Letter of Authorization that should be posted near the sim.

If your logged time is ever challenged, this will aid in making your case.
Thanks! There’s definitely a letter posted on the frame of the sim. I’ll make sure to copy.

Darren

Cheers,
Darren

It's not flight time, so I'm not sure what benefit you hope to achieve. I'd log it the same as any other ground instruction.

Cheers,
Darren

I teach in a Redbird FMX as part of a credit bearing course at a college. I maintain a spreadsheet of what items were taught and for whom. So in that sense, yes I do log it. But I suspect you are talking about entering it in your pilot logbook. I don't, because it does not count towards your experience. There is also no place for it in the 8710 form. I also highly doubt that a future employer will care how much time you have in a sim as an instructor.

Cheers,
Darren

Oh boy….

In theory yes, it is time giving instruction. And there may even be some value to it if instructional time is a consideration for an advanced instructor job. It may be asked on the DPE application but I am not sure of that.

But as a CFI, you already should know that it does not meet the definition of "flight training" in 61.1 nor of "flight time" in 1.1 so, for example, it is not usable for anything related to your currency or, for that matter, anything which requires "flight time."

BTW, I can't tell based on the question, but hope you are not logging the approaches flown by your students in the device for your IFR currency.

Back