Red Tails

I wish somebody would make a movie with real flying, rather than that animated stuff, though I know it is impossible with something this epic. But even in this short trailer there are maneuvers that defy physics... It might turn out to be a great and accurate tale, but for me, it loses something with the animation.

Your prayers have been answered....

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Blue-World-Ondrej-Vetchy/dp/B0000648X2

Based on a true story...real aircraft, real people.....

Highly recommended

search

Last edited:
Actually, there was quite a lot of CGI in Dark Blue World. Some of it was retouched footage from other films, other parts were new. The extras on the DVD show how they did much of it.

CGI is everywhere these days...

But in "Dark Blue World" they used it cleverly and adequately...

The screenplay is realistic - doesn't feel like you're reading some Captain America comics like the Lucas movies....

Jan 20 release date...at least that what I read on Zoom's site.

Red Tails has a ton of potential in so many realms, aviation history, aviation for its own sake, American history including the Country's treatment of the pilots before AND after WWII. If they don't go to soap opera on the movie it should be fantastic.

I know I plan to see it and I have met some of these men, and have the highest respect for them. I met three at the fly in at Luke air force base out of Phoenix a few years back.

Going to the screening where our few remaining local Tuskegee heroes will also be in attendance on 22 Jan. Movie Tavern in Aurora, CO, 16:00.

Very honored to get to see the movie in their presence.

Couldn't quite swing spousal approval the $100/plate for the dinner/fundraiser pre-movie, but I do have two extra tickets if someone wants to come along here in DEN.

I did too. I liked the one scene where they are in the barracks and one of the guys is reading Stick and Rudder. I thought that was a good placement of a book.

I think he was on the train actually.

I think he was on the train actually.

Wasn't that the guy who washed out because of a stunt, (already a licensed pilot,etc) and then committed suicide?

^^^^^ What he said.

The Tuskegee Airmen not only had to get through rigorous training, combat, prejudice, and all the B.S. of segragation even AFTER they served their country, and came back.

I think the Tuskegee Airmen did a lot to help with civil rights.

This is off topic but I think its absurd how the drinking age is 21 and many in our military are below that age.

If you're mature enough at 18 to go through boot camp, handle automatic weapons and fight for your country I think you can have a beer. This is technically a state's issue to decide but the Feds took that away by refusing to give states funding for highways if they did not raise their drinking age to 21.

Last edited:
If you're going down that road, why don't we draft women...

Or will we if it comes to that again? ;)

:popcorn:

Red Tails has a ton of potential in so many realms, aviation history, aviation for its own sake, American history including the Country's treatment of the pilots before AND after WWII. If they don't go to soap opera on the movie it should be fantastic.

amen to that:wink2: We have more than enough soaps and dramas on TV, hope they keep this as realistic as possible.

Every year at OSsome remaining Tuskegee Airmen man a booth to sign autographs and recall stories. They are a great bunch of war heroes to hang out with for a few hours.

After I talked to them for an hour we ran into each other at dinner. Drink and meals were on me. They were pretty surprise, and very grateful.

Every year at OSsome remaining Tuskegee Airmen man a booth to sign autographs and recall stories. They are a great bunch of war heroes to hang out with for a few hours.

After I talked to them for an hour we ran into each other at dinner. Drink and meals were on me. They were pretty surprise, and very grateful.

that's awesome! I'd love to meet some of them and hear combat stories for a couple of hours:)

that was very kind of you to treat them to dinner. I think I would have done the same thing.

Has anybody seen this movie yet, and if so care to give a review?

Red Tails comes out on Friday 1/20/12 Sir.

The movie Tuskegee Airmen was an HBO movie. It's avaialable on DVD and probably will be available ON DEMAND as soon as Red Tails comes out.

I think the Tuskegee Airmen did a lot to help with civil rights.

This is off topic but I think its absurd how the drinking age is 21 and many in our military are below that age.

If you're mature enough at 18 to go through boot camp, handle automatic weapons and fight for your country I think you can have a beer. This is technically a state's issue to decide but the Feds took that away by refusing to give states funding for highways if they did not raise their drinking age to 21.

During the Pacific War a pilot named Richard Ira Bong (CMH) became the ace of aces of the United States (40 confirmed) besting the scores of his friendly rivals McGuire, Lynch and Kearney (all three KIA). He was sent a case of Scotch by Gen. George Kenney who ran into a buzz-saw of outrage from the home front who could not reconcile the fact of a 20 year old drinking hard liquor while he was killing his enemies in a war...:idea:. In point of fact he did not drink at all and was happier with the case of Coke given to him by General McArthur.

BTW: I got a sneak peek at an extended trailer of Red Tails. All I will say is Mr. Lucas please don't make a film about Dick Bong.

JMPO and YMMV;

Chris

During the Pacific War a pilot named Richard Ira Bong (CMH) became the ace of aces of the United States (40 confirmed) besting the scores of his friendly rivals McGuire, Lynch and Kearney (all three KIA).

Which is why today we have the Bong Recreation Area along highway 43 between Chicago and Green Bay that provides a continued source of amusement for kids that have no clue.

Aces High by Bill Yenne documents the battle for ace of aces between Bong and McGuire rather well and is a good read.

Red Tails comes out on Friday 1/20/12 Sir.

The movie Tuskegee Airmen was an HBO movie. It's avaialable on DVD and probably will be available ON DEMAND as soon as Red Tails comes out.

Thanks. I saw Tuskegee Airman when it came out on HBO many years ago. It was pretty well done I thought. Looking forward to Red Tails.

Sir.

I did too. I liked the one scene where they are in the barracks and one of the guys is reading Stick and Rudder. I thought that was a good placement of a book.

I thought it a rather poor placement. Stick and Rudder was first published in 1944, the 99th FS and 332nd FG were already overseas.

CG looks cartoonish to me but flying museum pieces is getting too expensive. I think the last movie that had mostly real airplanes was "Battle of Britain", or maybe "Tora, Tora Tora", but at the time they had advisers like Gen. Adolf Galland, etc. Not many of those guys around anymore, and the current generation of movie goers doesn't really care if its a real P-51, Spit, or ME-109.

Battle of Britain
didn't have real Me 109s either. They used Hispano HA-1112s, derived from the Bf 109G and powered by a RR Merlin.

Battle of Britain
didn't have real Me 109s either. They used Hispano HA-1112s, derived from the Bf 109G and powered by a RR Merlin.

I realize that, but they were very close to a real 109, the giveaway is the cowling. Spain used the 109 variant well into the 60's.

They were close enough for Adolf Galland, an adviser on the film, to jump in one and take for a joy ride.

BTW, the Stukas were flying RC controlled airplanes but were filmed in such a way as to make the look bigger.

During the Pacific War a pilot named Richard Ira Bong (CMH) became the ace of aces of the United States (40 confirmed) besting the scores of his friendly rivals McGuire, Lynch and Kearney (all three KIA). He was sent a case of Scotch by Gen. George Kenney who ran into a buzz-saw of outrage from the home front who could not reconcile the fact of a 20 year old drinking hard liquor while he was killing his enemies in a war...:idea:. In point of fact he did not drink at all and was happier with the case of Coke given to him by General McArthur.

Richard Bong was 22 years old when he scored his first victory and 24 when he scored his last.

Which is why today we have the Bong Recreation Area along highway 43 between Chicago and Green Bay that provides a continued source of amusement for kids that have no clue.

Interstate 43 doesn't go to Chicago, it runs southwest out of Milwaukee to Beloit.

Richard Bong was 22 years old when he scored his first victory and 24 when he scored his last.

You sir are correct! I was quoting from memory. Not always a good thing! It was also a case of Champagne sent by General Kenny, the Scotch was sent by Rickenbacker. The event was Bong passing Rickenbacker's WWI score of 26.

Chris:mad2:

I believe Bong died shortly after the war as a test pilot. Very sad.

I believe Bong died shortly after the war as a test pilot. Very sad.

He died as a P-80 test pilot during the war, on August 6th, the same day the Hiroshima bomb was dropped.

Last edited:
Interstate 43 doesn't go to Chicago, it runs southwest out of Milwaukee to Beloit.

While interstate 43 does not run directly between Green Bay and Chicago, the Bong Recreation is off 43 and it is between Green Bay and Chicago.

I thought it a rather poor placement. Stick and Rudder was first published in 1944, the 99th FS and 332nd FG were already overseas.

Correct. There would have been no way to get a book from the United States to the theater of war.

While interstate 43 does not run directly between Green Bay and Chicago, the Bong Recreation is off 43 and it is between Green Bay and Chicago.

Interstate 43 doesn't run between Green Bay and Chicago at all. A better description of the location of Bong would be off I-94 between Milwaukee and Chicago. It's about ten miles off.

Correct. There would have been no way to get a book from the United States to the theater of war.

Oh, I'm pretty sure there was a way to get a book from the United States to the theater of war. But when the book was shown they were still training in the US, the 99th went overseas in 1943, a year before the book was published.

Re: Red Tails movie 01/12

Just saw it and all I can say is.....DAMN! Awesome tribute to these heroes! The mustang has always been my favorite warbird. Man o man I wish I could get behind the stick of one of these beautiful machines! Flying the 172 is feeling more and more like I'm behind the controls of a kite...lol

Still have one free ticket in Denver for the showing with four of the real men who did the job at the Aurora Tavern Theater.

1st PM gets it. Also posting to FB/Twitter now.

Last edited:
I saw it last night...thought it was awesome. A few lines here and there that seem scripted but otherwise I enjoyed the storyline and many of the scenes.

Back