Red Tails

Also very excited for this movie! Tuskegee Airmen is one of the my all time favorites, I'm sure I won't be disappointed by this one.

I did a report on Tuskegee Airmen in High School, complete with a slide show and then showed the movie as part of my report. Needless to say, I got an A and extra credit.

and I have no recollection of where I got the photos for the slide show.

I note that Terrence Howard is also playing in the movie. He also played a Tuskegee Mustang Pilot in "Hart's War".

I have only the highest respect the Tuskegee Airmen and have met several of them over the years in their bright red sport coats. It is undeniable that challenges they faced in and out of uniform would have defeated weaker men.

But, they were not infallible, either

http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/ex-pilot-confirms-bomber-loss-t30038.html

Their record of accomplishment is still a testament to their courage and conviction which should inspire all.

The Tuskeegee airmen were way cool. The TV movie about them sucked for the most part, even with a cadre of up and coming young and very talented performers. I have little hope for Lucas' latest. He took the utterly great Star Wars story and turned it to complete trash. The only other film I can think of from him was Howard the Duck.

No doubt the aerial combat scenes will be quite realistic. He used similar ones in his original draft of Star Wars to show the execs in place of special space effects.

The problem is the story in question is one of people, and Lucas has been and is utterly clueless how to present such a story. And no doubt I'll go plunk down a boatload of good money to drag my Mrs. to see the damn thing.

You think Jar Jar Binks will be in this one? ;)

Lucas is a 'tard... but the movie looks great anyway, because no matter how bad Lucas manages to screw it up, we can all read the real history books, and for at least a few more years, maybe meet a real Tuskegee Airman and shake his hand and say Thanks.

You think Jar Jar Binks will be in this one? ;)

Lucas is a 'tard... but the movie looks great anyway, because no matter how bad Lucas manages to screw it up, we can all read the real history books, and for at least a few more years, maybe meet a real Tuskegee Airman and shake his hand and say Thanks.

I might point out that you can do those things without any help from Mr. Lucas.

I was just at the gym and though the sound was off they advertised a new weekly show on a major network. I think it was called "Pan Am". Don't know if it is about the airline pilots, or the stewardesses, or what.

Kimberly

I wish somebody would make a movie with real flying, rather than that animated stuff, though I know it is impossible with something this epic. But even in this short trailer there are maneuvers that defy physics... It might turn out to be a great and accurate tale, but for me, it loses something with the animation.

I was just at the gym and though the sound was off they advertised a new weekly show on a major network. I think it was called "Pan Am". Don't know if it is about the airline pilots, or the stewardesses, or what.

It's about the stewardesses AND pilots. Early 60s period piece. Christina Ricci is the lead.

However, they're hyping up the stewardesses more.

--Carlos V.

Kimberly

I have the feeling this one will flop. It is very expensive (they built one of the largest sets ever to replicate Idlewild) and have a bone fide movie star for their lead. However, I think today's generation will turn off completely, viewing airline travel as naught but tedium and discomfort. I would think it might appeal to the older set, but I have the feeling that it will be somewhat salacious.

I have the feeling this one will flop. It is very expensive (they built one of the largest sets ever to replicate Idlewild) and have a bone fide movie star for their lead. However, I think today's generation will turn off completely, viewing airline travel as naught but tedium and discomfort. I would think it might appeal to the older set, but I have the feeling that it will be somewhat salacious.

Do you know when it starts? I haven't turned on my TV in weeks (barely get any channels, they are still coming through even though I don't get a monthly bill, I pay for streaming Netflix). It might be interesting to record the first episode with my VCR - yes I said VCR. Well wait though I don't think they sell blank tapes anymore. Darn.

I might point out that you can do those things without any help from Mr. Lucas.

Yeah poorly worded but that was my point.

A few of these great folks who flew these missions in WWII are still with us. Seeking them out and saying thanks is really satisfying and honors their service.

I hope Lucasfilm is donating a percentage of film revenue to an organization like Honor Flight.

I wish somebody would make a movie with real flying, rather than that animated stuff, though I know it is impossible with something this epic. But even in this short trailer there are maneuvers that defy physics... It might turn out to be a great and accurate tale, but for me, it loses something with the animation.
Agree. The computer effects are so apparent it bothers me. Star Wars is fantisy, so it's not so bothersome. I didn't like 'Pearl Harbor' for the same reason.

Re: Red Tails movie 01/12

If George Lucas is directing, it will probably suck.

Me too. And I'll drag Mrs. Steingar. And it will probably suck.

The dialog seems typical good vs evil vs worse evil maudlin, but the flying scenes look very impressive.

They do, but sooner or later you need people to be speaking dialog related to some kind of story. Something better than "I've got a bad feeling about this". Lucas has proven himself less than adroit at this kind of thing.

They do, but sooner or later you need people to be speaking dialog related to some kind of story. Something better than "I've got a bad feeling about this". Lucas has proven himself less than adroit at this kind of thing.

I thought Lucas was the producer, not the director or script-writer?

I just found out that a gentleman I met last week was a Tuskegee mechanic.

I was going to do a short documentary about them starting with a Red Tail named Span Watson. We set up a meeting an he passed away. Very inspirational story. I'm gonna see it.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or does the trailer look...cartoonish?

CG looks cartoonish to me but flying museum pieces is getting too expensive. I think the last movie that had mostly real airplanes was "Battle of Britain", or maybe "Tora, Tora Tora", but at the time they had advisers like Gen. Adolf Galland, etc. Not many of those guys around anymore, and the current generation of movie goers doesn't really care if its a real P-51, Spit, or ME-109.

I was going to do an interview with the president of the NE Chapter of the Tuskegee Airmen. He passed about a week before we were supposed to get together. They are a tremendous inspiration to me.

CG looks cartoonish to me but flying museum pieces is getting too expensive. I think the last movie that had mostly real airplanes was "Battle of Britain", or maybe "Tora, Tora Tora", but at the time they had advisers like Gen. Adolf Galland, etc. Not many of those guys around anymore, and the current generation of movie goers doesn't really care if its a real P-51, Spit, or ME-109.

I recently noticed that most P-51s are selling for over $2 million apiece.

I remember when they hit $1 million, thinking -- "Whoa -- ain't never gonna get one now." Now they are absurdly out of reach... :(

Is it just me, or does the trailer look...cartoonish?

Little trivia off the IMDB from "Gangs of New York" that journeys into our Padawan's mind:

"Martin Scorsese recreated 19th-century New York on the lot of Cinecitta studios in Rome. When George Lucas visited the massive set, he reportedly turned to Martin Scorsese and said, 'Sets like that can be done with computers now.' "

He is so wrong. Most CG looks like sh*t, especially flying scenes.

I recently noticed that most P-51s are selling for over $2 million apiece.

I remember when they hit $1 million, thinking -- "Whoa -- ain't never gonna get one now." Now they are absurdly out of reach... :(

Don't worry.

Our generation will be able to get cheap used UAVs soon. ;)

LOL. Sad.

Doesn't matter what it looks like, as long as it gets people interested in aviation and history.

It matters to me.

A WWII movie ain't gonna do squat for aviation.

I'm really looking forward to seeing it also. These guys have been my heroes from the day I first heard of them! I think anything that helps keep their memory alive is a good thing. They had so much to prove and received far too little respect and recognition let alone well deserved medals! And after all they went through, came home to a nation that still treated them as inferior. A lot has changed for the better since then but we have a long way to go America! So let's not fall asleep. Happy New Year!

^^^^^ What he said.

The Tuskegee Airmen not only had to get through rigorous training, combat, prejudice, and all the B.S. of segragation even AFTER they served their country, and came back.

Back