Recommended OWNER maintenance tools

Thoughts

Charged for cap check, THEN charged an additional hour to install a sealed battery?!
Charged for timming mags AND the R&R?!
8 hours to calibrate the fuel quantity seems very steep, but I haven't don't it on a 206
1.5 hrs to (I'm assuming as there is no parts charge) move a chaffing brake line?

Many of the other charges are on the high side labor wise, but not so far out of line as to really go WTF

there is no requirement to replace capacitor or points during a 500 hrs mag inspection, and they quoted Champion parts instead of available aftermarket one which cost 50% less

Also... 8 hours to do 2 mags, maybe if the guy doing them has never had one apart abduction one hand tied behind his back.

Last edited:
there is no requirement to replace capacitor or points during a 500 hrs mag inspection, and they quoted Champion parts instead of available aftermarket one which cost 50% less

Also... 8 hours to do 2 mags, maybe if the guy doing them has never had one apart abduction one hand tied behind his back.

I figure it is just close enough to reality so as not to have me screaming rape, but not what would inspire my return business either

Part of this may be me.

I fly this bird in conditions that you really wouldn't want to have a problem and I do it quite a bit. So not knowing any better I have told them I want factory parts on it. So the Champion parts might be a good example. I'm sure this will come up in our conversation as an option. I just don't know which way to go.

Part of this may be me.

I fly this bird in conditions that you really wouldn't want to have a problem and I do it quite a bit. So not knowing any better I have told them I want factory parts on it. So the Champion parts might be a good example. I'm sure this will come up in our conversation as an option. I just don't know which way to go.

I think John Efinger would be a good guy to use in your area given your want for perfection

Now in the interest of giving credit where due, I really like the format of that estimate.

Part of this may be me.

As someone who's lived both sides of factory vs. PMA'd parts, I've found there are some conditions where PMAs are better. But most of the time they aren't. So, as a rule of thumb that's not a bad idea.

I personally haven't worked with the aftermarket parts for magnetos. That said, I don't plan on it, either. At least not until I see something fairly definitive regarding their quality being equal or better.

You sound like a good candidate to use the SavvyAviator maintenance program. He charges $750 a year for a single engine and manages all your maintenance. You decide on every expense but he does a great deal of coordination between the shop and help you understand how to keep the airplane in top shape by spending that extra money where it is needed and not spending in every corner that some shops covet as profit centers but offer little additional safety or benefit.

BTW-since I took my A&P class I probably spend more money on maintenance than before but now I spend it where it really makes a super safe plane and adds value to the aircraft rather than what ever way the service writer could pry money from my hand.

Almost all the times seem 2x sometimes 3x the real time it takes to do the work spec-ed out and on top of that they seem to often bill you twice for the same items one example plus what Duncan has said above: repairing the mags but then again to change the timing...seems redundant to me.

Edited:

I wasn't going to say much about this but the longer I look at it the more it chafes me...

Across the board these times are ridiculous. If I take my Cadillac to the Cadillac dealer to work on it I expect a pretty good hosing but these guys take it to another level. He must have kids in college you have to pay for their semesters tuition.

He is $xxxx for inspecting your mags and I had two bendex IRAN'd for $525 for both together at a Bendex shop.

#5 He wants 3 1/5 hrs to replace gaskets on valve covers?

$100 to check a battery, each battery? Ea for $100- 2 batteries?

2 hrs to fix a chafed line...could be right but based on other charges I assume hes allowing himself a very nice margin.

#11, 1.5 hrs to adjust idle mixture when it is already in the shop being annual-ed? Unless there is something crazy with your model this seems off.

#14 Spark plug warn “Too limits” means they are still serviceable. Warn beyond limits requires replacement. So I'd say this option should be put off till next inspection.....(I bought 12 new Champions for about $25 ea look around) If you are really worried buy a plug or two to keep in the plane so if you have trouble on the road, you just pop it in and away you go. This is something you can do in the field or any mechanic can do for you if you have the part in your plane.

#15 1.5 hrs to twist some wire around the vband clamps??? Its only $127.50 but when they put a half dozen or dozen of these little 1.5 items in there they start to add up to real money. You can safety wire them yourself for 35 cents for the safety ties. The twist plyers are at harbor freight for $9.

#16 again 1 hr to tighten the oil filler tube.....1, 2, 3...its tight oh 10 seconds but we better allow 1 hr for that.....gotcha.

#17 you must have a built in Ox bottle they are really ripping you hear. 6 hrs to do an inspection on the ox bottle....$760. $250 outside labor.... I guess $500 is just to Remove and replace the bottle the other outside labor is the actual inspection. I'd take the bottle to the outside place for them to re-certify the bottle.

#19 are paper air filters really $288, I get mad when they charge me $28. Again .6 hrs to put it in? That must include walking back to the parts guys across the street to get it.

#20 I'd fix the roosen visor myself. 2 hrs....really.

#22 seeping oil return hose? Take it off, clean it, inspect it put it back on and tighten it....not 2 hrs when you are already in there and cowls removed.

#23 $510 to clean fuel injectors.....Arn't new fuel injectors about $600? For Gami's?

Is this a Jet maintenance shop by any chance?

Part of this may be me.

Last edited:
What Tony says. I'm no expert wrench but have somewhat of a clue and every line item on there seems awful...heavy.

Given that Alex is a mechanical person who knows how to turn a wrench, I think he's a better candidate for an A&P or owner-assisted annual than for Savvy MX.

True, but you also aren't a Cessna dealer in Addison. .

No, but you, sir, are a fool. I don't travel. I've got more work than I can handle because of my rates and my policies towards owner assisted annuals.

I said that there are a FEW of us on here who would do that. I respect Tom's work; I;ve seen some of it and it is pristine. I think there are a few more of us who can put the IA behind our names for the last forty years or so that know what the hell we are doing.

Somebody saw him coming. He isn't very well versed in aviation maintenance. Give the kid a break. Let him learn a le$$on and then find out how to do it right

Even his POST is indicative. Owner maintenance tools are NOT a full A&P IA shop. He thinks tools will help him save money. Anything beyond a Harbor Freight full set of sockets, a spark plug socket, and a way of jacking the gear one leg at a time off the ground right now is overkill.

What he needs more than anything else is a source for maintenance parts. Spruce, Chief, and a good subscription to Trade-A-Plane will save him more money than anything we can tell him.

Perhaps with a few years of owner-assisted annuals under his belt he might opt for a few more, but is is VERY similar to my freshman engineering students buying the most complicated graphic calculator that they can and then bombing the exam because they can't remember how to use it.

Fifty years a professional engineer, and I have yet to use half of a $10 Casio calculator's functions in anger.

Just my 8% of two bits.

Jim

Last edited:
Part of this may be me.

I fly this bird in conditions that you really wouldn't want to have a problem and I do it quite a bit.

Two things...

One, who is more concerned with your a$$ in those conditions, you or the mechanic(s)? WHo do you think ought to be then vitally involved with the maintenance?

Two, Richard Bach, "A Gift of Wings", "Found at Pharisee". Read it about four times until it sinks in.

Jim

You sound like a good candidate to use the SavvyAviator maintenance program. He charges $750 a year for a single engine and manages all your maintenance. You decide on every expense but he does a great deal of coordination between the shop and help you understand how to keep the airplane in top shape by spending that extra money where it is needed and not spending in every corner that some shops covet as profit centers but offer little additional safety or benefit.

BTW-since I took my A&P class I probably spend more money on maintenance than before but now I spend it where it really makes a super safe plane and adds value to the aircraft rather than what ever way the service writer could pry money from my hand.

Almost all the times seem 2x sometimes 3x the real time it takes to do the work spec-ed out and on top of that they seem to often bill you twice for the same items one example plus what Duncan has said above: repairing the mags but then again to change the timing...seems redundant to me.

Edited:

I wasn't going to say much about this but the longer I look at it the more it chafes me...

Across the board these times are ridiculous. If I take my Cadillac to the Cadillac dealer to work on it I expect a pretty good hosing but these guys take it to another level. He must have kids in college you have to pay for their semesters tuition.

He is $xxxx for inspecting your mags and I had two bendex IRAN'd for $525 for both together at a Bendex shop.

2 hrs to fix a chafed line...could be right but based on other charges I assume hes allowing himself a very nice margin.

#11, 1.5 hrs to adjust idle mixture when it is already in the shop being annual-ed? Unless there is something crazy with your model this seems off.

#14 Spark plug warn “Too limits” means they are still serviceable. Warn beyond limits requires replacement. So I'd say this option should be put off till next inspection.....(I bought 12 new Champions for about $25 ea look around) If you are really worried buy a plug or two to keep in the plane so if you have trouble on the road, you just pop it in and away you go. This is something you can do in the field or any mechanic can do for you if you have the part in your plane.

#15 1.5 hrs to twist some wire around the vband clamps??? Its only $127.50 but when they put a half dozen or dozen of these little 1.5 items in there they start to add up to real money. You can safety wire them yourself for 35 cents for the safety ties. The twist plyers are at harbor freight for $9.

#16 again 1 hr to tighten the oil filler tube.....1, 2, 3...its tight oh 10 seconds but we better allow 1 hr for that.....gotcha.

#17 you must have a built in Ox bottle they are really ripping you hear. 6 hrs to do an inspection on the ox bottle....$760. $250 outside labor.... I guess $500 is just to Remove and replace the bottle the other outside labor is the actual inspection. I'd take the bottle to the outside place for them to re-certify the bottle.

#19 are paper air filters really $288, I get mad when they charge me $28. Again .6 hrs to put it in? That must include walking back to the parts guys across the street to get it.

#22 seeping oil return hose? Take it off, clean it, inspect it put it back on and tighten it....not 2 hrs when you are already in there and cowls removed.

#23 $510 to clean fuel injectors.....Arn't new fuel injectors about $600? For Gami's?

Tony-

Good informative post, Thanks. I already have a list going and a lot of what you suggested is on there the rest i will add. That o2 bottle really got me as well. If the they are serviceable enough to pass I'll replace the plugs myself and save $15 each plus the labor.

Two things...

One, who is more concerned with your a$$ in those conditions, you or the mechanic(s)? WHo do you think ought to be then vitally involved with the maintenance?

Two, Richard Bach, "A Gift of Wings", "Found at Pharisee". Read it about four times until it sinks in.

Jim

Jim-

Of course I am concerned, I take passengers out over the open ocean, etc. I am trying to be involved in my maintenance, but there is a balancing act as well. The balance between making good decisions/being involved and telling someone that has been doing something their whole life how to work on an airplane. I know from years of working on vehicles and equipment what I believe works in those applications, but that doesn't stop my neighbor from trying to convince me for hours on end that Autozone parts are as good or better than factory. I don't want to be that guy.

Also, putting my personal information out there along with the estimate is doing something to be involved wouldn't you say?

I think John Efinger would be a good guy to use in your area given your want for perfection

I own a hangar on the field where John is. I thought he was primarily a rigging expert. If he really is a perfectionist I should talk to him some more.

I own a hangar on the field where John is. I thought he was primarily a rigging expert. If he really is a perfectionist I should talk to him some more.

He is THE man on rigging, but as I understand it does much more

Edited:

I wish the price on that air filter was wrong, but having priced them it is likely on the cheaper side, I'd install either a brackett or K&N under STC though.

If this thread isn't proof positive that your local freelanced A&P-IA isn't the best deal in aviation I don't know what is.

I wish the price on that air filter was wrong, but having priced them it is likely on the cheaper side, I'd install either a brackett or K&N under STC though.

The OEM replacement filter is now made by Donnelson (sp) and is good for 5 years or 5000 hours far better than the bracket.

Depends - Not if his day job pays more than $100k, best leave the wrenching to others. If he loves doing it, that is another matter.

Given that Alex is a mechanical person who knows how to turn a wrench, I think he's a better candidate for an A&P or owner-assisted annual than for Savvy MX.

---------------------

Originally Posted by Jeff Oslick
While you're at HF, one of these is great for storing/working on the lower cowl.

http://www.harborfreight.com/200-lb-...and-38778.html

---------------------
A large trash can also works very well, just pad it with some shop towels.

I went that route for a long time. Only one trash can in the hangar, left nowhere to put the trash...

Price a good trash can recently? A decent one costs a lot more than the HF shop stand!

I went that route for a long time. Only one trash can in the hangar, left nowhere to put the trash...

Price a good trash can recently? A decent one costs a lot more than the HF shop stand!

I'm lucky and have a half dozen around the shop

No, but you, sir, are a fool.

Good to know. The fact that I've been able to own and operate two piston twins for the past 1600 hours at all-in costs that are about 20-40% cheaper than anyone else I've talked to while still having them better equipped and with higher dispatch rates must be indicative of my foolish ways.

I'll make sure to file your advice appropriately.

Depends - Not if his day job pays more than $100k, best leave the wrenching to others. If he loves doing it, that is another matter.

I'd agree financially when you get to a certain point your time is better off spent not wrenching. But Alex seems to enjoy wrenching and being actively involved in his airplane, so that was my point. Otherwise I'd agree with you. There are several non-mechanical or otherwise busy folks I know who I've suggested consider Savvy MX.

Why would you want jack pads for a fixed gear airplane?

Jim

Diarrhea of the fingers this week?

Reference post #19.

Part 43 appendix A PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE (1) Removal, installation, and repair of landing gear tires.

Maybe you have devised some other method of raising a main landing gear tire off the ground to change it but I use tools made for the task.

That's what a main gear strut bracket is for on the tires, and what 5 gallon buckets of water on the horizontal stab are for to work on the nose strut.
\
\
JIm

Call it whatever you want, I call them jackpoints.

Last edited:
Dunno if it's been covered (and don't have time today to read the other postings), but whatever you get, buy GOOD tools.

That extra $20 you might spend on a set of Craftsman wrenches is money well spent if you don't break one when you haven't got the time to go buy another. And if you DO break one, A ), you really were determined to do so, and B ), you take it back and they hand you a new one. Forever.

Harbor Freight is a great place for stuff you won't use much (or you will modify), stuff you expect to lose, or for things like trailers, hand trucks, cherry pickers, etc.

Just because one can make 100k a year doesn't mean they can make that rate with every hour of the day. It's pretty easy to make that in a salaried job where putting 10 extra hours towards fixing your airplane may save you thousands where putting in another 10 at work nets you nothing in the short term.

Maybe you have devised some other method of raising a main landing gear tire off the ground to change it but I use tools made for the task.

Call it whatever you want, I call them jackpoints.

Maybe my mentor taught me wrong. He said that a jackpoint was a built-in hard point on an aircraft structure that would take the load pressure of a jack when raising a part of the aircraft off the ground. Mostly used for retractibles when you do a gear swing check.

A gear strut bracket (aka gear leg adapter, gear leg bracket, etc) was a STOUT metal U-bracket formed in the angle of the gear leg. IT is slipped under the gear leg and a small bent triangular welded bracket was formed from the U-bracket material and used to accept a jack arm.

He might have been wrong, but he is long since gone and I can't argue with him now.

Maybe my mentor taught me wrong. He said that a jackpoint was a built-in hard point on an aircraft structure that would take the load pressure of a jack when raising a part of the aircraft off the ground. Mostly used for retractibles when you do a gear swing check.

A gear strut bracket (aka gear leg adapter, gear leg bracket, etc) was a STOUT metal U-bracket formed in the angle of the gear leg. IT is slipped under the gear leg and a small bent triangular welded bracket was formed from the U-bracket material and used to accept a jack arm.

He might have been wrong, but he is long since gone and I can't argue with him now.

He was, let's call it incomplete.

Lots of FG planes have jack points that need to be installed to lift for gear service.

He was, let's call it incomplete.

Lots of FG planes have jack points that need to be installed to lift for gear service.

Indeed. I believe there are far more airplanes out there that need a jack adapter installed than ones with them built in, especially in the GA and
Corporate realms. Most that I'm farmiliar with require removing a plug(s) or a few bolts to install them.

I have seen our shop wing jack a C172P and leave it there without wheels for a few days and when I saw it I was like "WTF!" :rofl: Seemed odd to me.

On a side note, which does not apply to the OP's 206, all the round tube fixed gear cessnas can get a wear issue in the gear fittings which when sloppy lets the wheels move a lot. The best way to check for this condition is to place the airplane on wing jacks and wiggle the gear legs and look for play.

OK I talked to the head of maintenance. As I said before I have a good relationship with him and the conversation went well.

First on the time estimates, they were just that estimates, he admitted that they were high, but said he'd rather come in well under budget than a $1 over.

He eliminated the redundant charges on the Mags. He said they tear both mags down completely and test and inspect each and every part. He said the reality is that most of these at 500 hours need capacitors and points. Maybe not, but don't count on it. He said one good indicator that the mags are in need of some work is that the timing has shifted. So the price was a worse case, but he still feels they need to be gone through.

The 02 bottle labor was brought down from 6 to 4 hours, he says it is less only because I don't have A/C on my bird. Apparently the factory put an O2 bottle in with a 2 year old date stamp so I only got three years out of it. Doesn't sound like I can avoid this one.

Turbo exhaust clamp safety wiring. This didn't come from the factory with safety wiring, but he says that if there is a clamp bolt failure you don't want the pipe separating from the manifold and possibility torching the airplane. Cessna has seen this happen in the field so this is a new recommendation. I am going to have this done, sounds like a safety issue?

Battery charges reduced and redundancy eliminated.

Spark plugs down to $31 from $49

Air cleaner down a little.

Fuel injector cleaning. Apparently this is more difficult on a Turbo motor, but he stands by the need to do this every 500 hours and the time.

Fuel calibration and clutch servo, we chose to eliminate although the factory recommends them.

Chaffing and oil leaks were only estimates, he thinks they can be done for much less.

Right now we are at about $8k Even if the labor comes in less I still expect about $7500.

I commented that the inspection seemed very detailed, he said he'd been doing some work with personnel to make sure they were VERY through. Seems like it to me.

Thoughts?

John is one of the coolest wrenches out there IMHO. Never met him personally or done business with him, but the knowledge he shares on the Cessna Pilots Association forums is impressive.

First, I have never had an avation mechanic come back and charge me less than estimate. Usually they come back about 10-15% more so I cannot identify with this guys saying he bid high to leave room to make you happy.

A 3 year old Turbo fixed gear Cessna with 500 hrs, with no major parts to replace or significant problems as indicated by the estimate: I would expect the annual to be about $3500 including iran mags and new spark plugs replacement.

I forgot to mention but he was quoting 1.5 hrs per plug 9 hrs....I do not see plugs taking more than 2 hrs to do them all so that is between 5-7 hours beyond what it should take.

My gut feeling is this is not a square deal.

OK I talked to the head of maintenance. As I said before I have a good relationship with him and the conversation went well.

First on the time estimates, they were just that estimates, he admitted that they were high, but said he'd rather come in well under budget than a $1 over.

He eliminated the redundant charges on the Mags. He said they tear both mags down completely and test and inspect each and every part. He said the reality is that most of these at 500 hours need capacitors and points. Maybe not, but don't count on it. He said one good indicator that the mags are in need of some work is that the timing has shifted. So the price was a worse case, but he still feels they need to be gone through.

The 02 bottle labor was brought down from 6 to 4 hours, he says it is less only because I don't have A/C on my bird. Apparently the factory put an O2 bottle in with a 2 year old date stamp so I only got three years out of it. Doesn't sound like I can avoid this one.

Turbo exhaust clamp safety wiring. This didn't come from the factory with safety wiring, but he says that if there is a clamp bolt failure you don't want the pipe separating from the manifold and possibility torching the airplane. Cessna has seen this happen in the field so this is a new recommendation. I am going to have this done, sounds like a safety issue?

Battery charges reduced and redundancy eliminated.

Spark plugs down to $31 from $49

Air cleaner down a little.

Fuel injector cleaning. Apparently this is more difficult on a Turbo motor, but he stands by the need to do this every 500 hours and the time.

Fuel calibration and clutch servo, we chose to eliminate although the factory recommends them.

Chaffing and oil leaks were only estimates, he thinks they can be done for much less.

Right now we are at about $8k Even if the labor comes in less I still expect about $7500.

I commented that the inspection seemed very detailed, he said he'd been doing some work with personnel to make sure they were VERY through. Seems like it to me.

Thoughts?

Good to know. The fact that I've been able to own and operate two piston twins for the past 1600 hours at all-in costs that are about 20-40% cheaper than anyone else I've talked to while still having them better equipped and with higher dispatch rates must be indicative of my foolish ways.

I'll make sure to file your advice appropriately.

I'd agree financially when you get to a certain point your time is better off spent not wrenching. But Alex seems to enjoy wrenching and being actively involved in his airplane, so that was my point. Otherwise I'd agree with you. There are several non-mechanical or otherwise busy folks I know who I've suggested consider Savvy MX.

Ted, be sure to file the TP on top of his advice!

The new numbers are sounding better. For ROP flying like you do, cleaning the injectors every 500 hours is probably fine. As a LOP pilot, I like them cleaned every year or 100 hours - minor imbalances are important. I'm still surprised about the extra time that they list for the injector cleaning, but I haven't looked at an AJ1A in a while so maybe there are aspects that I'm missing.

I'd figure that a smaller shop would probably be about 2/3 the price. The plane has 500 hours on it. Even though you won't have the aging airframe issues, the various sorts of vibration/chafing issues I'd expect. The reality of planes is that the same problem seems to get fixed time and time again.

Back