Recommended OWNER maintenance tools

Alexb2000

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Alexb2000
Here are the tools I have for basic owner maintenance in addition I have a complete set of hand tools of course.

What am I missing and why?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 166
You have spark plug socket but nothing to clean & gap them?

Big box cutter to cut the oil filter material off the "cobb"

Sharpie to write date & time on new filters

Don't try to stock your tool kit with everything now. Just start doing things, and when you have to borrow a tool to do something, make a note of it and stop at Sears on the way home to get one for next time.

You are missing a kit plane to build and a repairman's certificate to maintain it.

Home Depot man not withstanding, you might be candidate for some kit building.

You missed the most important one....
1-03501-00_Adapt_Prac_Checkbook.jpg

My hangar in Virginia has the essentials:

Air compressor (mostly for tires),
Small toolbox of sockets, plyers, wrenches, screwdriver, wire cutters,
A few spare commonly used parts: plug, gasket, oil, hydraulic fluid
An old prop removal tool for the splined shaft hartzell which I don't have anymore.
Work light.

My hangar at NC26 has more stuff. I'm working on getting a set of jacks.

Torque wrench for spark plugs etc?

8 torque wrenches, got em, thx

Don't try to stock your tool kit with everything now. Just start doing things, and when you have to borrow a tool to do something, make a note of it and stop at Sears on the way home to get one for next time.

I like to buy the best tools I can, so that usually means ordering them. It took 4 weeks to get some of the stuff in the picture. That drives me crazy, but there just isn't a big demand for GA aircraft tools. That's why I'm trying to get all the obvious stuff.

Jack pads/points for airplane?

I have a 206, which would you recommend?

You are missing a kit plane to build and a repairman's certificate to maintain it.

Home Depot man not withstanding, you might be candidate for some kit building.

I might have to edit some of my prior posts first.:wink2:

You missed the most important one....
1-03501-00_Adapt_Prac_Checkbook.jpg

Ha. My wife says her toolbox has a hammer and a checkbook. If the hammer doesn't work...

GoJo and shop towels.
Definitely. I have a GOJO dispenser on the wall next to the sink in my NC hangar. In the back of the airplane I keep some grease-cutting-wet-wipes.

I'm a grease magnet. If there is one greasy spot on the plane, I'll put my hand in it.

As for torque wrenches, I use a Craftsman model 1019 Laboratory Edition Signature Series torque wrench. The kind used by Caltech high energy physicists. And NASA engineers and a split second before the torque wrench it was applied to the spark plug, it had been calibrated by top members of the state AND federal Department of Weights and Measures... to be dead on balls accurate!

When I began General Class for the A&P course they gave me a list similar to this one:

• Standard screwdriver set in common lengths and sizes
• Combination wrench set in sizes from ¼ to 1 inch
• 3/8-inch drive ratchet set with extension
• 3/8-inch drive deep 12 point socket set in common sizes
• ½-inch drive ratchet set with extensions in common sizes
• ½-inch drive deep 12 point socket set in common sizes
• 3/8-inch drive breaker bar
• ½-inch drive breaker bar
• 3/8-inch drive speed handle
• ½-inch drive speed handle
• 3/8-inch drive adjustable air-driven impact
• Adjustable jaw wrenches (large and small)
• Set of Allen wrenches
• Set of common pliers
• Set of vice grips (large and small)
• Set of Channel locks (large and small)
• Safety wire twisters
• Two dead blow hammers (large and small)
• Two ball peen hammers (large and small)
• Safety glasses
• Hard shell ear protectors
• Set of feeler gauges
• Pair of mechanical fingers
• Adjustable mirror
• Long handler magnet
• 10X magnifying glass
• Industrial handheld and head band type flashlights
• Hack saw
• Utility knife
• Mechanics tool chest
• Roll-away

Avionics and electrical tools
• Small toolbox or canvas tool bag
• Side cut pliers
• Needle nose pliers
• Cannon plug pliers
• Male and female pin pushers
• Wire strippers
• Crimpers
• Digital volt ohm meter with leads
• 10X magnifying glass
• Utility knife
• Screwdrivers and nut driver set
• Soldering iron 40W maximum
• Safety glasses
• Small ball peen hammer
• Safety wire twisters
Structural repair tools
• Dead blow hammers
• Rawhide mallet
• Ball peen hammer
• ¼-inch chuck pistol grip air drill (2,600 rpm, 33 hp, non reversible)
• Drill bit set (high speed 135-degree with split point and in common rivet sizes)
• 4X pistol grip rivet gun with beehive retaining spring
• Adjustable pistol grip air screwdriver
• Universal rivet set (straight and offset in common rivet sizes)
• Flush rivet set (one large for skins and one smaller)
• 3 bucking bars (1.5- to 3-pound bars, include a stringer bar, heel and toe, and a z bar)
• Micro stop countersink with piloted cutters (cutters in common rivet sizes)
• Cleco pliers and clecos (two dozen each in silver, black, copper, gold, and side clamping)
• Hole finders (in common rivet sizes)
• Combination square set
• Inside and outside calipers
• Scribe
• 8-inch shockproof dial calipers
• Set of radius gauges
• Set of feeler gauges
• Pin punches (in common rivet sizes)
• Automatic center punch
• ½-inch chisel
• Straight snips
• Files (flat, half round and round)
• File handle
• Left and right snips
• Hack saw
• 10-foot steel measuring tape
• Needle nose vice grips
• Allen wrenches
• Screw extractor
• Safety glasses
• Hip type toolbox with top tray

I think I got nearly everything on the list for about $200 or less at Harbor Freight a few years ago.

Would a normal compression test serve my basic needs or do I need a leak down tester as well?

Are you really going to be doing compression tests all the time? The big bore (for over 5") differential compression tester. The automotive type suck.

When I began General Class for the A&P course they gave me a list similar to this one:

• Standard screwdriver set in common lengths and sizes
• Combination wrench set in sizes from ¼ to 1 inch
• 3/8-inch drive ratchet set with extension
• 3/8-inch drive deep 12 point socket set in common sizes
• ½-inch drive ratchet set with extensions in common sizes
• ½-inch drive deep 12 point socket set in common sizes
• 3/8-inch drive breaker bar
• ½-inch drive breaker bar
• 3/8-inch drive speed handle
• ½-inch drive speed handle
• 3/8-inch drive adjustable air-driven impact
• Adjustable jaw wrenches (large and small)
• Set of Allen wrenches
• Set of common pliers
• Set of vice grips (large and small)
• Set of Channel locks (large and small)
• Safety wire twisters
• Two dead blow hammers (large and small)
• Two ball peen hammers (large and small)
• Safety glasses
• Set of feeler gauges
• Pair of mechanical fingers
• Adjustable mirror
• Long handler magnet
• 10X magnifying glass
• Hack saw
• Utility knife
• Mechanics tool chest
• Roll-away

Avionics and electrical tools
• Small toolbox or canvas tool bag
• Side cut pliers
• Needle nose pliers
• Cannon plug pliers
• Male and female pin pushers
• Wire strippers
• Crimpers
• Digital volt ohm meter with leads
• 10X magnifying glass
• Utility knife
• Screwdrivers and nut driver set
• Soldering iron 40W maximum
• Safety glasses
• Small ball peen hammer
• Safety wire twisters
Structural repair tools
• Dead blow hammers
• Rawhide mallet
• Ball peen hammer
• ¼-inch chuck pistol grip air drill (2,600 rpm, 33 hp, non reversible)
• Drill bit set (high speed 135-degree with split point and in common rivet sizes)
• 4X pistol grip rivet gun with beehive retaining spring
• Adjustable pistol grip air screwdriver
• Universal rivet set (straight and offset in common rivet sizes)
• Flush rivet set (one large for skins and one smaller)
• 3 bucking bars (1.5- to 3-pound bars, include a stringer bar, heel and toe, and a z bar)
• Micro stop countersink with piloted cutters (cutters in common rivet sizes)
• Cleco pliers and clecos (two dozen each in silver, black, copper, gold, and side clamping)
• Hole finders (in common rivet sizes)
• Combination square set
• Inside and outside calipers
• Scribe
• 8-inch shockproof dial calipers
• Set of radius gauges
• Set of feeler gauges
• Pin punches (in common rivet sizes)
• Automatic center punch
• ½-inch chisel
• Straight snips
• Files (flat, half round and round)
• File handle
• Left and right snips
• Hack saw
• 10-foot steel measuring tape
• Needle nose vice grips
• Allen wrenches
• Screw extractor
• Safety glasses
• Hip type toolbox with top tray

I think I got nearly everything on the list for about $200 or less at Harbor Freight a few years ago.

Tony-

Isn't that list a little much for an owner?

Are you really going to be doing compression tests all the time? The big bore (for over 5") differential compression tester. The automotive type suck.

I bought the compression adapter for my automotive gauge. Sounds like that won't do it. I guess if I decide to do that I'll get the proper leak down tool.

I'd leave out most of the hammers and structural stuff for the typical owner, but most of the rest of that list is in our hangar and gets used at every annual.

If your 206 is like our 182, there are a couple special tools that are very handy. Top of that list is a custom-bent 7/8 open-end wrench that is used to make getting the ignition wire harness on/off the plugs a lot quicker.

A Dremel tool with a good assortment of bits (available cheap at Costco) is another one for the list.

Creeper? Even though you've got he wing in the wrong place, you still have to clean the belly.

Then he'll need a compressor too.

I'd leave out most of the hammers and structural stuff for the typical owner, but most of the rest of that list is in our hangar and gets used at every annual.

If your 206 is like our 182, there are a couple special tools that are very handy. Top of that list is a custom-bent 7/8 open-end wrench that is used to make getting the ignition wire harness on/off the plugs a lot quicker.

A Dremel tool with a good assortment of bits (available cheap at Costco) is another one for the list.

Custom bent as in use a torch and a vise until you get what you need? If so, I can do that.

Creeper? Even though you've got he wing in the wrong place, you still have to clean the belly.

Got it.

Then he'll need a compressor too.

7.5HP IR two stage with an after-cooler.

Between a multimeter, safety wire, safety wire pliers, and basic hand tools, that covers about 99% of what I do on the plane as an owner. Personally, I leave the compression checks to the A&Ps come annual/100-hr time, and same with pulling and cleaning the plugs. However if you're wanting to do plug cleanings/compressions at 50 hours, it might make sense.

Tony-Isn't that list a little much for an owner?

Tim the tool man wouldn't think so.

I look at it like this...the average tool is $4 or less, if I am working with someone to work on my plane and we have to stop to go get a tool our time is worth more than the 30 minutes it takes to run to Harbor Freight Tools and get it.

I did buy them planning on going through the A&P class but even not, it is very handy to have everything in your hangar/van as the case may be.

I actually have about four sets of tools and 95% of them are the same tools....one in van, one in hangar, one in business and one at home garage but I place a high value on my time.

Between a multimeter, safety wire, safety wire pliers, and basic hand tools, that covers about 99% of what I do on the plane as an owner. Personally, I leave the compression checks to the A&Ps come annual/100-hr time, and same with pulling and cleaning the plugs. However if you're wanting to do plug cleanings/compressions at 50 hours, it might make sense.

Sounds like I'm giving up on the compression testing, since I don't have the right leak down tester.

I am wanting to make sure in Taos (no mechanic) I can do some basic stuff if necessary.

Sounds like I'm giving up on the compression testing, since I don't have the right leak down tester.

I am wanting to make sure in Taos (no mechanic) I can do some basic stuff if necessary.

That helps bound the question more, thanks.

I keep a set of basic wrenches (up to 7/8") in the plane at all times. Don't need the sockets as most of the basic things that break can be handled with wrenches. But having a set of sockets in your hangar helps.

The biggest basic thing I'd recommend is a spare left magneto, spare starter, and spare alternator. Also have the eyelet for the +24V output wire of the alternator that you can crimp on the wire when it breaks. Those are items that will strand you if they break. A mag timer (and of course knowing how to do it) helps. On the Continentals, the mags have sight plugs you can unscrew where you can see the plastic gear inside them to line up the red line within that plug. I'm not describing it very well, but I think it should be on your Lycoming as well. If a mag goes out, that will get you close enough to get you to the nearest airport where it can be timed properly. And if it goes out while traveling somewhere that has an A&P on-site, then you already have the part, so there's an advantage. I view that as my "If a mag goes out in Canada..." issue, since I am regularly 600+ miles from the nearest A&P.

Alternator and starter are straightforward, but will leave you stranded. The most common failure I've seen with alternators is actually when the crimped on eyelet breaks off due to vibration, and then the perfectly functioning alternator can no longer provide power to the airframe.

Oh, and also a battery charger/minder is a good idea. Nothing worse than a dead battery, especially in winter.

That helps bound the question more, thanks.

I keep a set of basic wrenches (up to 7/8") in the plane at all times. Don't need the sockets as most of the basic things that break can be handled with wrenches. But having a set of sockets in your hangar helps.

The biggest basic thing I'd recommend is a spare left magneto, spare starter, and spare alternator. Also have the eyelet for the +24V output wire of the alternator that you can crimp on the wire when it breaks. Those are items that will strand you if they break. A mag timer (and of course knowing how to do it) helps. On the Continentals, the mags have sight plugs you can unscrew where you can see the plastic gear inside them to line up the red line within that plug. I'm not describing it very well, but I think it should be on your Lycoming as well. If a mag goes out, that will get you close enough to get you to the nearest airport where it can be timed properly. And if it goes out while traveling somewhere that has an A&P on-site, then you already have the part, so there's an advantage. I view that as my "If a mag goes out in Canada..." issue, since I am regularly 600+ miles from the nearest A&P.

Alternator and starter are straightforward, but will leave you stranded. The most common failure I've seen with alternators is actually when the crimped on eyelet breaks off due to vibration, and then the perfectly functioning alternator can no longer provide power to the airframe.

I'll price those accessories, they would be nice to have, but I bet they are really expensive.

I'll also keep an eye on ebay, that's where I got my manuals.

I've also got the dealers chief mechanic's cell phone number, so he can help me out if I get caught somewhere and need some tech support.

The airplane is in annual right now. I am having them go through and IRAN the mags, just to try to minimize any problems.

Back