Recent surgery applying for Class One SI

Flyguy86

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Flyguy86
Hey guys. I recently had a minor procedure done for a heart issue back in May. It was diagnosed in January and delayed because of COVID. On my preop blood work everything was normal except for something called MCV. I began to research it and apparently it can be raised by alcohol consumption. This was cleared at my follow up and back to normal a month later. I havent drank alcohol in months since this diagnosis but it makes me nervous that the faa will peg me for alcohol problems. Has anyone else faced a situation like this? Ive never been in trouble or had any issues whatsoever. With the FAA or normal life either. I fly for the airlines but the horror stories that ive recently read make me scared of what this might turn into.

Hey guys. I recently had a minor procedure done for a heart issue back in May. It was diagnosed in January and delayed because of COVID. On my preop blood work everything was normal except for something called MCV. I began to research it and apparently it can be raised by alcohol consumption. This was cleared at my follow up and back to normal a month later. I havent drank alcohol in months since this diagnosis but it makes me nervous that the faa will peg me for alcohol problems. Has anyone else faced a situation like this? Ive never been in trouble or had any issues whatsoever. With the FAA or normal life either. I fly for the airlines but the horror stories that ive recently read make me scared of what this might turn into.
There are far better and more specific alcohol biomarkers than MCV. I drink socially and at my last physical in March, my MCV was solidly in the middle of the normal range. If you haven't used alcohol in months (I wouldn't re-start now), that should be easy enough to demonstrate on followup lab testing.

Last edited:
There are far better and more specific alcohol biomarkers than MCV. I drink socially and at my last physical in March, my MCV was solidly in the middle of the normal range. If you haven't used alcohol in months (I wouldn't re-start now), that should be easy enough to demonstrate on followup lab testing.

Ok. Everything is in the green now. One of my liver enzymes was slightly elevated as well but i was also 50 pounds heavier than i am currently and that has since corrected also. Who knows what they will say.

@Flyguy86 ... If you have not yet formally applied for your medical certification (filled out the form online, saw and AME, he made the file "live" and examined you), then DO NOT go for the formal examination.

First go in for a consultation to gain education on (1) the certification process and (2) where you stand between 0%-100% of being issued and what is needed to make the process smooth and easy.

Here is my cut and paste item on consultations....

AME Consultations

When you set the appointment, ask for a consultation, not an examination.

If the AME or his staff ask you to fill out the MedXpress form (FAAa Form 8500-8), it is okay to do so. But be aware there is a way you get snaffoozled by the staff without you knowing about it.

At the bottom of the form when you complete it and print it is a confirmation number. If the staff or doctor takes that number and enters it into the FAA medical certification system, your consult just became a live exam. And a live exam must proceed to a decision: a decision of issue, deny or defer.

To avoid the snafoozle, take a pair of scissors and clip off the confirmation number. Put that in your pocket. Now the AME has the info, but no way to open your file on the FAA system.

Proceed with consultation ask your questions, get the guidance, and write down your notes.

The end of the consultation should result in one of two outcomes: (1) the AME says he has enough to issue your certificate right now; or (2) The AME educates you on the requirements and provides a list of things to obtain and bring back for the real exam.

He should also tell you if this will be an in office issuance, or a situation where the FAA requires it to be a “deferral” because the issuance decision must be made at a higher level. If deferral, make sure to find out if the AME will go above and beyond as your advocate to make sure the application doesn’t get hung up in channels​

@Flyguy86 ... If you have not yet formally applied for your medical certification (filled out the form online, saw and AME, he made the file "live" and examined you), then DO NOT go for the formal examination.

First go in for a consultation to gain education on (1) the certification process and (2) where you stand between 0%-100% of being issued and what is needed to make the process smooth and easy.

Here is my cut and paste item on consultations....

AME Consultations

When you set the appointment, ask for a consultation, not an examination.

If the AME or his staff ask you to fill out the MedXpress form (FAAa Form 8500-8), it is okay to do so. But be aware there is a way you get snaffoozled by the staff without you knowing about it.

At the bottom of the form when you complete it and print it is a confirmation number. If the staff or doctor takes that number and enters it into the FAA medical certification system, your consult just became a live exam. And a live exam must proceed to a decision: a decision of issue, deny or defer.

To avoid the snafoozle, take a pair of scissors and clip off the confirmation number. Put that in your pocket. Now the AME has the info, but no way to open your file on the FAA system.

Proceed with consultation ask your questions, get the guidance, and write down your notes.

The end of the consultation should result in one of two outcomes: (1) the AME says he has enough to issue your certificate right now; or (2) The AME educates you on the requirements and provides a list of things to obtain and bring back for the real exam.

He should also tell you if this will be an in office issuance, or a situation where the FAA requires it to be a “deferral” because the issuance decision must be made at a higher level. If deferral, make sure to find out if the AME will go above and beyond as your advocate to make sure the application doesn’t get hung up in channels​

Yea i already know its going to be a deferral as I was diagnosed with WPW of the heart. All of the heart issues checked out well (according to the cardiologist). Just concerned with this previous blood work issue and what ive read.

Get a “carbohydrate deficient transferrin”.
Get to a GI guy to opine (upon echo study) that you have NASH (Non Alcoholic Steatohepatitis) provided that’s what you really still have.

......or hire someone who knows how to do this....when you ever have biological effects of alcohol (Elevated MCV, elevated AST, ALT), the question does indeed become “did you abuse”......

it always amazes me that folks try to tackle this alone on on advice of SGOTI.....

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back