Really lost...now what.

In all fairness, I have actually been lost before, but that was different as I at least had a general idea of where I was (somewhere in New Mexico, and definitely north east of Albuquerque) Story here: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4231

But I'm trying to solve the scenario where you literally have no idea where you are.

Jesse's idea of finding a road and following it is good, but that still doesn't really tell you where you are, merely gets you safely on the ground until you can ask someone.

Earlier this year I got a squawk code that was supposed to be reserved (I can't remember right now what it was, but I'm pretty sure all four digits were the same - maybe it was even 7777?).
We ought to be able to come up with some appropriate new codes for specific situations. How about:

1313: Just not having any luck today.

0666: I have no idea what this airplane is doing now -- it must be demon possessed (Airbus pilots only).

3333: Flying over a big forest.

In all fairness, I have actually been lost before, but that was different as I at least had a general idea of where I was (somewhere in New Mexico, and definitely north east of Albuquerque) Story here: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4231

But I'm trying to solve the scenario where you literally have no idea where you are.

Jesse's idea of finding a road and following it is good, but that still doesn't really tell you where you are, merely gets you safely on the ground until you can ask someone.

And doing it without calling anyone?

My primary CFI had me do unusual attitude recoveries one moonless night, for about 30-40 minutes. She then said, "Keep the hood on, figure out where we are, find the nearest airport and take us there. When you think you are there, tell me and then you can take off the hood and see how close you got."

At least in that case I knew I was within range of a couple of VORs and was able to triangulate.

In your scenario - if you had a sectional, you could start plugging in VOR freqs and see if you can pick one up. But you'd have to make a guess as to your rough location and which VORs might be close enough to get.

And doing it without calling anyone?

My primary CFI had me do unusual attitude recoveries one moonless night, for about 30-40 minutes. She then said, "Keep the hood on, figure out where we are, find the nearest airport and take us there. When you think you are there, tell me and then you can take off the hood and see how close you got."

At least in that case I knew I was within range of a couple of VORs and was able to triangulate.

In your scenario - if you had a sectional, you could start plugging in VOR freqs and see if you can pick one up. But you'd have to make a guess as to your rough location and which VORs might be close enough to get.

That's what my CFI did. A number of times.

We ought to be able to come up with some appropriate new codes for specific situations. How about:

0666: I have no idea what this airplane is doing now -- it must be demon possessed (Airbus pilots only).

I saw what you did there...:yes:........:lol:

5555: Flying over a steam locomotive.

5555: Flying over a steam locomotive.

9999: Transponder broken

If you fly low enough, the excitement will be high enough that you won't fall asleep. Might also be able to read the highway signs

in my part of the country you just follow the above until you find the city then you read the water tower. it works. i've had students do it.

0000: Do Not Disturb -- Mile High Club initiation in progress.

:D

Last edited:
I wonder how many times a day a center gets the "where am I?" call. Probably way more than they should.

These days? I'd guess hardly ever, as common as GPS is now.

You also have ADF...
Haven't read all the posts. Tune in clear channel stations on the AM band (like 650 AM WSM, home of the Grand Ol' Opry) and triangulate. At night, at 10,000', you can pick up those stations up to 1000 miles away. Of course, if you only remembered the relative bearing formula long enough to pass the written... might as well pull the chute and close your eyes.

dtuuri

Last edited:
Haven't read all the posts. Tune in clear channel stations on the AM band (like 650 AM WSM, home of the Grand Ol' Opry) and triangulate. At night, at 10,000', you can pick up those stations up to 1000 miles away. Of course, if you only remembered the relative bearing formula long enough to pass the written... might as well pull the chute and close your eyes.

dtuuri

i don't see how you'd need to remember any formula to track to something using the ADF.

i don't see how you'd need to remember any formula to track to something using the ADF.

No, of course you wouldn't, but to triangulate your position you would. "XXX bearing from Nashville, YYY bearing from Las Vegas. Aha, I'm right in the mountains west of Denver! Uh, oh."

dtuuri

Last edited:
in my part of the country you just follow the above until you find the city then you read the water tower. it works. i've had students do it.

Worked for me. As a student on my solo cross county I knew I was on my route butt as not sure how close I was to KLNK. Started to worry about their airspace so I descended down and read a water tower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 My first was from Concord to Salinas and Paso Robles. Gotta love flying down the valleys. Hard to get totally lost.

Went to Bakersfield. Followed the interstate in the middle of the valley. I was so relieved I mastered the art of DR !!!

Shouldn't that be '4422' ... ?

Oh, before I forget: A very Merry 1225 and Happy 0101 to all!

:)

could be any of these:
0-2-2-0
2-2-2-0
2-2-2-2
2-2-4-0
4-2-2-0
2-4-6-2
4-4-4-4
6-4-4-6
4-4-6-4
4-6-4-4
0-4-4-0
0-4-4-2
2-4-4-0
2-4-4-2
0-6-6-0
2-6-6-0
2-6-6-2
2-6-6-4
2-6-6-6
4-6-6-2
4-6-6-4

;)

I was flying up in Canada between Smithers and Whitehorse and lost both the GPS signal and was out of range of any VOR. I was also on top of a cloud deck and out of radio range of ATC. Yikes!. I knew about where I was and just held the same compass heading (the compass was all out of whack too with 20 degrees of magnetic). I was able to see a distinctive lake through the clouds and all was well. Thats about the only time I ever lost GPS signal for any amount of time (it wasnt that long really, maybe 10 minutes). Just hold your heading and proceed. You will get somewhere!

Read a dated book on bushflying(iirc about Floats) the author was big on what he called bacon savers, essentially large geographic features you couldn't mistake. Most of the author's flying was low on compass headings pre omniknowhereitiselectronicals. Doesn't really help at night I suppose.

Back