"Real" Mid-West Fly In

Oh, I just remembered - I need some help from you folks - I'm having a problem with the audio panel on that plane and need some help troubleshooting: Grant and Leslie, what happened when we left? Grant, I asked if you could hear me and you replied (and I need to just start calling you two "Prellwitz Air" because I have no idea who was actually PIC at the time - But "Grant" is only one syllable so I tend towards it! ;)), but moments later when I called for takeoff, you taxied out onto the runway in front of me while I was on the roll. I called an abort and taxied back on the ramp. Mike asked if I was OK and I replied, and he said something back so I know he could hear me at least but I was taxiing right in front of him at the time. I don't think he started up until I aborted so I don't think he heard the earlier exchange anyway. I also didn't hear any further calls from Prellwitz Air - Did you make them and I didn't hear them? Did you hear the exchange I had with Mike (and were you able to hear both of us, or just Mike)? The plane is going into the avionics shop tomorrow and I'm trying to get as much troubleshooting info as possible beforehand so we don't pi$$ away ton$ of dollar$ like we u$ually do.

Was anyone else still on frequency (Greg)? What did you hear?

Actually, I have some other related questions, but I think I'll post the rest in the maintenance bay so they get seen. EDIT: For anyone who's interested in that sort of thing (electronics troubleshooting), the thread is here: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28795

Last edited:
I wanted to come, but I got busy with church stuff.:drama:
ApacheBob

Oh, I just remembered - I need some help from you folks - I'm having a problem with the audio panel on that plane and need some help troubleshooting: Grant and Leslie, what happened when we left? Grant, I asked if you could hear me and you replied (and I need to just start calling you two "Prellwitz Air" because I have no idea who was actually PIC at the time - But "Grant" is only one syllable so I tend towards it! ;)), but moments later when I called for takeoff, you taxied out onto the runway in front of me while I was on the roll. I called an abort and taxied back on the ramp. Mike asked if I was OK and I replied, and he said something back so I know he could hear me at least but I was taxiing right in front of him at the time. I don't think he started up until I aborted so I don't think he heard the earlier exchange anyway. I also didn't hear any further calls from Prellwitz Air - Did you make them and I didn't hear them? Did you hear the exchange I had with Mike (and were you able to hear both of us, or just Mike)? The plane is going into the avionics shop tomorrow and I'm trying to get as much troubleshooting info as possible beforehand so we don't pi$$ away ton$ of dollar$ like we u$ually do.

Was anyone else still on frequency (Greg)? What did you hear?

Actually, I have some other related questions, but I think I'll post the rest in the maintenance bay so they get seen. EDIT: For anyone who's interested in that sort of thing (electronics troubleshooting), the thread is here: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28795
See your PM.

I wanna know why those thermals only lift one wing at a time.

Picture a miniature airplane "flying" inside an active "Lava Lamp". Those rising blobs are the vertical air currents that knock you around. Imagine that you wings straddle the edge of one.

Pix of the Lake Lawn fly in may be seen here:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/pilots_of_america_at_c59.htm

Here's Grant (I think!) departing C59:

sC59-DepartingCessna1%205-09.jpg

We had a great time -- let's do it again! Maybe come to Iowa City and we'll all head to Amana for brunch/lunch/dinner?

:smile:

Picture a miniature airplane "flying" inside an active "Lava Lamp". Those rising blobs are the vertical air currents that knock you around. Imagine that you wings straddle the edge of one.
I know. I just wanna know why it seems to be only one so often but know that I think about it I had hella time stopping the climb, too.

That's the deal where when I took my usual post winter dual I asked my CFI if it was me or the thermals and he said, "It's you." :D

See your PM.

Okay, so that wasn't even you that I heard! That's probably why the reply from whoever it was I heard was kind of weak and crackly. On a beautiful busy day like yesterday, I guess the chances are pretty good that there was another Grant on 122.9 somewhere! ;)

I guess I'll just hope that the combo of your 430 frequency problem, Pete using a handheld, and the potential lower volume due to bypass mode on the audio panel means that the radios themselves are OK. :fcross: :fcross:

Especially because last time we had an "audio panel problem" with this airplane, it ended up costing $3,000+ to fix. :yikes: :(

Yes, that was me. I think I was the only one there in a retract Cessna. Nice picture!

Thanks -- I was just in the right place at the right time. Totally by accident -- just like my Blue Angels picture that won the AvWeb POTW a few years ago.

It was funny -- back then, everyone wanted to know my F-stops, and lens, and camera body, and all I could say was "Uh -- I looked up and snapped the picture on my Canon Elph digital!"

I had a great time finally meeting everyone:smile:

I had a good brunch, and a very nice flight home with Grant and Leslie...

Jay, that's a great photo! :yes:

Brent, you finally made it to a fly-in! Is this your first forum fly-in? Are you going to try to make Gaston's?

Yes I did! Yes it is....By plane or car, I should know within a week...Hold my feet to the fire on that one, too...

Had my first right seat landings today(why I didn't reply until now) ....:yikes::D Side loading is not the best thing in the world:blush:

Brent

I had a great time too. We need to do it again soon. The only bad point of the day was not being able to talk while flying (due to the broken PTT or audio panel).

--david

I had a great time as well (thanks Kent and David for swinging by MWC to pick me up and drop me off)! It was good to finally meet a lot of people I've either spoken to, chatted (online) with or read posts/replies from.

When's the next get together? ;-)

We really did have a great fly-in. I don't know that it was the first one of the season, but with 6 planes (Piper turbo Seneca II, Cessna 182 Skylane, Piper Pathfinder, Cessna 210 Centurion, Cessna 195, Piper Cherokee 235) and 14 pilots (or incipient pilots) , it was certainly one of the best attended!
Grant Prellwitz
Leslie Prellwitz
Brent Suse (sp?)
David Parter
Marty (mjburian)
Kent Shook
Mike Andrews
Bruce Chien
Jay Honeck
Mary Honeck
Rebecca Honeck
Sharon Bockelman
Greg Bockelman
Phil Jones

All that, and not a single 172! :)

Last edited:
We really did have a great fly-in. I don't know that it was the first one of the season, but with 6 planes (Piper turbo Seneca II, Cessna 182 Skylane, Piper Pathfinder, Cessna 210 Centurion, Cessna 195, Piper Cherokee 235) and 14 pilots (or incipient pilots) , it was certainly one of the best attended!

Grant, no wonder you didn't see me on the other end of the runway if you were looking for a high-wing! ;) ;) We didn't bring the 182, it was up in Door County for the weekend. We were in an Archer. :yes:

Grant, no wonder you didn't see me on the other end of the runway if you were looking for a high-wing! ;) ;) We didn't bring the 182, it was up in Door County for the weekend. We were in an Archer. :yes:
Well, it obviously just sunk into the runway in protest! That's not allowed! :no:

Edit: You know, I never really thought about it before, but that really is another argument in favor of high-wings! They're more visible from down the runway, especially if it isn't perfectly flat! (And we know better than to think C59 is perfectly ANYTHING!)

Last edited:
Edit: You know, I neer really thought about it before, but that really is another argument in favor of high-wings! They're more visible from down the runway, especially if it isn't perfectly flat!

Good point!

(And we know better than to think C59 is perfectly ANYTHING!)

Yeah, really!

Interestingly enough, after I "tweeted" about going to Lake Lawn, I was followed on Twitter by @LakeLawnResort. So, I kind of ranted to them about how they need to be nicer to the airport. We'll see if they reply...

Interestingly enough, after I "tweeted" about going to Lake Lawn, I was followed on Twitter by @LakeLawnResort. So, I kind of ranted to them about how they need to be nicer to the airport. We'll see if they reply...
Let us know! And point out to them that they had 14 customers Sunday that they wouldn't have ha without the airport! (Not that this is enough to justify its existence, but...)

What a motley looking crew! :D I'm sorry I couldn't make it, but had no plane available that day. I did do an XC under the hood to Monroe, WI (KEFT) on Saturday afternoon, and it was very choppy that day too.

Also, a pirep on KEFT: We did a DME arc approach for Rwy 30, with a circle to land on rwy 20 based on the wind, which ASOS said was out of 230. Well, we lined up on final for 20, and It felt like close to a 90 degree crosswind. We aborted that landing, and circled back to land on 30 for a more slight crosswind.

After a pepsi and a chat with the airport manager, it appears they put the Wx equipment down in a hole ("away from all the buildings") on the south-east side of the airport, and if the wind is out of the southwest, it is rarely accurate. They have plans to move the Wx equipment up the hill near the windsock and wind tee, but keep this in mind if you are going to Monroe.

After a pepsi and a chat with the airport manager, it appears they put the Wx equipment down in a hole ("away from all the buildings") on the south-east side of the airport, and if the wind is out of the southwest, it is rarely accurate. They have plans to move the Wx equipment up the hill near the windsock and wind tee, but keep this in mind if you are going to Monroe.
3CK did that too. The wind report is useless.

Let us know! And point out to them that they had 14 customers Sunday that they wouldn't have ha without the airport! (Not that this is enough to justify its existence, but...)

We were telling them that back in the mid-90s, when they first started to let their airport go downhill...

I don't think it fell on receptive ears...as the current condition of the airport indicates.

:nonod:

We were telling them that back in the mid-90s, when they first started to let their airport go downhill...

I don't think it fell on receptive ears...as the current condition of the airport indicates.

:nonod:
I go once or twice a year. Their dinners are very nice too BTW. Each time I let them know I enjoyed the facility and would use it more if the airport was in better condition.

Sigh!

I had understood that the company that bought it a couple of years ago and turned it into a condo-hotel wanted to develop their first "fly in" resort. I guess they have fallen on hard times like everyone else.

It was funny -- back then, everyone wanted to know my F-stops, and lens, and camera body, and all I could say was "Uh -- I looked up and snapped the picture on my Canon Elph digital!"

:D If you check the EXLIM data on the picture file that stuff is in there.

It was nice seeing on yours what changes they made to 235s in the following few years. I'm wondering if I can replace my seats with approval.

Sigh!

I had understood that the company that bought it a couple of years ago and turned it into a condo-hotel wanted to develop their first "fly in" resort. I guess they have fallen on hard times like everyone else.

Really? I had heard (back then) that they didn't care about the airport at all and were going to get rid of it. :dunno:

Sigh!

When we were there the employees outnumbered the guests.

Now, true, this was a Sunday afternoon -- but I think my little 30-suite hotel had more guests last Sunday than Lake Lawn Lodge did -- with HUNDREDS of rooms.

Walking the property, Mary and I added up over $160K in expenses just for the cool ROCKING CHAIRS they've put on each patio and deck. Their expenses are almost unimaginably high, and their profit margin is razor thin. With business travel, conventions, and occupancy at historic lows nationwide right now, they are losing money at an unfathomable rate.

Bottom line: Go enjoy it while you can, cuz if this economy doesn't bounce back soon, places like Lake Lawn Lodge will soon be history.

It was nice seeing on yours what changes they made to 235s in the following few years. I'm wondering if I can replace my seats with approval.

Which seats? The front seats didn't change over the 235's lifespan, so I presume you mean the back seats?

The "bucket" seats in back *are* really nice, compared to the bench seat. It used to take me an hour to take the back seat out of my Warrior -- so I never did it. Now, the Pathfinder seats literally pop out in seconds, allowing me to carry large items easily.

Which seats? The front seats didn't change over the 235's lifespan, so I presume you mean the back seats?

The "bucket" seats in back *are* really nice, compared to the bench seat. It used to take me an hour to take the back seat out of my Warrior -- so I never did it. Now, the Pathfinder seats literally pop out in seconds, allowing me to carry large items easily.
Yes, I think he's referring to the back seats. I remember him commenting on how they'd switched to the buckets from the bench.

The rear bucket seats are what I meant.

I never even thought of trying to remove the seats.

I just use the back seats as cargo partitions.

I should have a gotten a picture of what it looked like on the inside with everything packed.

Attachments

• Too many Bags IMG_0337.jpg
    Too many Bags IMG_0337.jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 12
Walking the property, Mary and I added up over $160K in expenses just for the cool ROCKING CHAIRS they've put on each patio and deck. Their expenses are almost unimaginably high, and their profit margin is razor thin. With business travel, conventions, and occupancy at historic lows nationwide right now, they are losing money at an unfathomable rate.

Jay,

Every place in that area makes their money on weekends between Memorial Day and Labor Day. The entire city of Chicago goes to Wisconsin on the weekends, and most of them shoot up highway 12 to the Lake Geneva area.

I've been in Lake Geneva on a summer weekend and seen ONE Wisconsin license plate, all the rest were Illinois. :yikes:

That said, I bet they're still losing money this coming summer...

When we were there the employees outnumbered the guests.

Now, true, this was a Sunday afternoon -- but I think my little 30-suite hotel had more guests last Sunday than Lake Lawn Lodge did -- with HUNDREDS of rooms.

Bottom line: Go enjoy it while you can, cuz if this economy doesn't bounce back soon, places like Lake Lawn Lodge will soon be history.

Jay, they sold most of the units as condos to individual investors. The company "manages" the property and rentals for the investors, and earn a tidy fee!

Jay,

Every place in that area makes their money on weekends between Memorial Day and Labor Day. The entire city of Chicago goes to Wisconsin on the weekends, and most of them shoot up highway 12 to the Lake Geneva area.

I've been in Lake Geneva on a summer weekend and seen ONE Wisconsin license plate, all the rest were Illinois. :yikes:

When I lived in the Chicago area (Wheeling) I kept a boat on Lake Geneva and spent most of my free time there.

Jay, they sold most of the units as condos to individual investors. The company "manages" the property and rentals for the investors, and earn a tidy fee!

Those little bitty units are CONDOS?

Now that's funny!

I wonder what they charge for one?

Back