"Real" Mid-West Fly In

Chi-TRACON will have no idea what you are doing and will treat you as IFR. They will also expect you to be IFR compliant and when you are not I would guess they might decide there was a pilot deviation that needed to be reported. If they did figure out what you were doing and just wanted FF their radios would suddenly lock up and not hear you ;). In either case it is unlikely that you would get a bravo transistion. Their local rule is to keep non-ORD arrivals out of the bravo as much as possible.

No you have to remain clear of the Bravo but they were handing me off and giving advisories.

Dang, sorry to hear that Barry! Hope she improves soon!

I trust you don't mind if we go ahead and go on with the get-together, though. We'll raise a glass (of orange juice) toasting to her speedy recovery.

Thanks Grant. We'll plan something else another time.

On my recent MYR trip I tried a new trick from IFR magazine to assist in FF and popup IFRs. I file the flight plan with IFR checked but with a VFR altitude and VFR ADVISORIES in the comment section. This puts the plan in the system not just sends it to FSS like the VFR box does.

When I called ground at MYR they said they had a flight plan for me advise ready to copy. So I said ready and received the clearance "REMAIN VFR. CONTACT APPROACH 127.4 SQUAWK 3016". From then on it was like IFR except each handoff was REMAIN VFR ALTIMETER XXXX.

It worked fine through CLEVELAND CTR and CLE APPROACH as I skirted around their Bravo.

Try that around Chicago, and they'll send you to the penalty box, aka KELSI.

On the tower tour last week, they advised that we could ask for a "NAS VFR" when we call clearance delivery and get the same thing. :yes:

On my recent MYR trip I tried a new trick from IFR magazine to assist in FF and popup IFRs. I file the flight plan with IFR checked but with a VFR altitude and VFR ADVISORIES in the comment section. This puts the plan in the system not just sends it to FSS like the VFR box does.

When I called ground at MYR they said they had a flight plan for me advise ready to copy. So I said ready and received the clearance "REMAIN VFR. CONTACT APPROACH 127.4 SQUAWK 3016". From then on it was like IFR except each handoff was REMAIN VFR ALTIMETER XXXX.

It worked fine through CLEVELAND CTR and CLE APPROACH as I skirted around their Bravo.

Thanks for the suggestions

No you have to remain clear of the Bravo but they were handing me off and giving advisories.

I've never had a problem with Cleveland. They aways let me transition when I ask. Chitown is a whole other ball game from what I hear.

I might have a free day tomorrow. So who's still going and what time are you planning on arriving?

I might have a free day tomorrow. So who's still going and what time are you planning on arriving?

Lunchtimeish (people are staggered...) Sunday...

I think I'm in, if so, probably be there around 1ish....Just need to call for a plane tomorrow:fcross:

They, do NOT have fuel, correct?

Allow me to point out that Lake Lawn's Sunday brunch is not Grand Geneva's Sunday brunch.

I'll be there if I have to drive.

Allow me to point out that Lake Lawn's Sunday brunch is not Grand Geneva's Sunday brunch.

I'll be there if I have to drive.

Just to make sure I'm not screwed up, C59 is THIS Sunday, right?

I'll be getting there around 11ish and leaving around 2-3ish, depending on how many people are coming later in the day. If you're planning to arrive after about 2:00, let me know here so I know to wait for you!

I'm going to see if I can work some magic.

Sigh! I'm really bummed out to be missing this after I was the one who started it. Someone post pictures so I can live vicariously!!:frown3:

Don't think we'll be making the 5 hour round trip.

Plan something South of Chicago's Bravo or on the East side of Lake Michigan.

No plane:frown3:

Darn!

As long as I make one before August....

:frown3:

Brent

Still waiting to see. I'm on call, and I've got to see what the hosptal's situation is in the AM.....We're talking 11 ish, yes?

Still waiting to see. I'm on call, and I've got to see what the hosptal's situation is in the AM.....We're talking 11 ish, yes?
Leslie and I (and Brent?) should be there 11ish until as late as 3. Jay should be there around 2:00 (hopefully). Mike and Kent (and Pete?) didn't give a time. Kate, Lance, Bob and others are maybes. The weather ook pretty good!:):blueplane:

We should be able to take you up in the 210 if you're interested.

YES!!!:smile:

Let me know what you need from me...The time does not make a difference to me at all...My cell is 708-267-9506....

Thanks!

Brent

Thanks Grant! I'm looking forward to seeing you tomorrow:smile:

Brent

The engine starts

The plane still knows how to fly.

I evidently still know (mostly) how to fly it.

That is all.

Well Sorry Kent, the WX looks awesome for soaring. Plus I need to annual the glider tomorrow. Feel free to stop by in HXF in the afternoon though.

Ya know Doc, I'd like to start in on my "10K lunches owed..."

:whip:;):)

I'm thinking about it... having been weathered out of the KRDU Fish Fly-In. And, with an 11am meet-up, it's pretty do-able...

Leslie and I (and Brent?) should be there 11ish until as late as 3. Jay should be there around 2:00 (hopefully). Mike and Kent (and Pete?) didn't give a time. Kate, Lance, Bob and others are maybes. The weather ook pretty good!:):blueplane:

I will be there at 11, and David Parter (dparter) will be coming with me. :yes: I don't think he's been to a PoA meetup before. :) Are we gonna meet at the airport and walk over together, or just wander in when we get there?

Well Sorry Kent, the WX looks awesome for soaring. Plus I need to annual the glider tomorrow. Feel free to stop by in HXF in the afternoon though.

Hmmm, we might just have to do that.

Sorry guys, I'm out. Day scheduled full with lessons. I couldn't justify spending money instead of making money, especially with yucky weather on its way this week. Another time!

Beautiful day, but I'm out - too long a day for not feeling my best.

Looks like Mary, my daughter Rebecca, and I will be there, if everything comes together. The weather is perfect here this morning, but we've got to work till noon.

By the time we land, it'll be 1:30-ish. Hope there's some food left!

:smilewinkgrin:

By my reckoning, we have:
11:00 (These folks can meet up at the airport)
Kent & David Parter
Mike Andrews
Grant & Leslie Prellwitz, Brent
Bruce Chien?
Bob?
1:00
Greg & Sharon Bockelman?
1:30
Jay, Mary & Rebecca Honeck (getting a tailwind!:))
Anyone else?

Last edited:
By my reckoning, we have:
11:00 (These folks can meet up at the airport)
Kent & David Parter
Mike Andrews
Grant & Leslie Prellwitz, Brent
Bruce Chien?
Bob?
1:00
Greg & Sharon Bockelman?
1:30
Jay, Mary & Rebecca Honeck (getting a tailwind!:))
Anyone else?

I think I'm gonna pass, too many things to do around here.

Grant, Leslie, and I just touched down:)

Grant, Leslie, and I just touched down after a SMOOTH landing:)

There was a front im my way, and I needed an insurance checkout, and an IPC. But that Lake Lawn trip will only be 45 mins for me in the future. :D

We had a great -- if bumpy -- flight to Lake Lawn (C59), and enjoyed a fabulous brunch at Lake Lawn Lodge. It was fun to meet some of the folks from this group, and put some names with faces!

On the way back we climbed all the way up to 10.5K to get above the turbulence. It was just one of those spring days that *looked* pretty from the ground, but rode rough as a cob...

Nonetheless, it was great fun, and I hope we can all do it again. I took some pix, and will post them here tomorrow when I'm back at the office...

Jay, Sorry I missed you. Had a Bradley Flying Club Annual meeting, which is usually so badly attended we can't ge a quorum.

Good to see everyone :) Professor Phil Jones says "Hi".

Jay, Sorry I missed you. Had a Bradley Flying Club Annual meeting, which is usually so badly attended we can't ge a quorum.

Good to see everyone :) Professor Phil Jones says "Hi".

Bruce, sorry we missed you too. I apparently walked in a different way than you walked out - I saw your plane, but by the time I got to the table you were gone!

Had a great flying day: MSN to MWC to pick up Marty, C59 for brunch, HXF to hang out with the glider guys and help Pete de-rig, MWC to drop Marty back off and back to MSN about 9 hours after I first arrived there this morning. :)

Kent, it's kinda sad I have to come back for the club's annual meeting. Membership is down to 46 (from 118), a/c from six to two.

I shoulda stayed....

The 17 minute 29 nm trip home was excruciating. :rolleyes:

That Seneca followed me out and followed me home. I think it's Marty from my airport. I hadn't remembered he bought a Seneca. He was a student behind me but he got an IR. The last I heard he bought a Dakota from another guy at the airport. It must be nice to be rich.

We had a great -- if bumpy -- flight to Lake Lawn (C59)

What bumps???? there were some nice thermals out though :D

Sorry I couldn't join you guys, but I had to get my Glider annualed, and it was just too nice not to soar today.

Hopefully I can meet up with all you you sometime.

What bumps???? there were some nice thermals out though :D

Sorry I couldn't join you guys, but I had to get my Glider annualed, and it was just too nice not to soar today.

Hopefully I can meet up with all you you sometime.

I wanna know why those thermals only lift one wing at a time.

Back