"Real" Mid-West Fly In

bstratt

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Canuck
Providing the weather cooperates, any one up for the fly in Sunday brunch at Lakelawn on Sunday, May 3rd? (Trying for lots of advance notice!)

I might be up for that, Barry, if I can scare up some others to go along. Not that it's a long trip, I just have that little money! Pete, you in?

It's been a few years since we've been there. Sounds like fun. I'll try to plan on it.

I will.........not be there. I will be in Florida. Can't drink the champagne at brunch anyway!

Bummer! Unfortunately (for a variety of reasons) I’ll be out of town that weekend. Other than that, I’m always looking for a place to go and new folks to meet.

Last edited:
I will.........not be there. I will be in Florida. Can't drink the champagne at brunch anyway!

That's one of the reasons I can sometimes get my wife to go - she can drink mine as well as hers!:drink:

What time are we planning on. 11 - 1? I want to book the plane for the right timeslot.

It's in my Palm, though it's too soon to tell. Bruce

Dr. Bruce- I think you go past Lincoln, NE on this flight? If you stop and have a little time- happy to take you to lunch or dinner.

What time are we planning on. 11 - 1? I want to book the plane for the right timeslot.

Usually get there around 10:30-11:00. As far as departure time, its up to you. Just have to watch the W & B after the buffet!

Mary and I work at the hotel till noon every Sunday -- but we could be there by 2 PM. Do they serve that late?

I haven't been to Lake Lawn since we moved to Iowa 12 years ago. I'm glad to hear it's open -- last time I was there, it was in pretty sad shape.

I have the plane booked from 10 - 2. Maybe I need to extend the hours so I can meet Jay and Mary!

Mary and I work at the hotel till noon every Sunday -- but we could be there by 2 PM. Do they serve that late?

I haven't been to Lake Lawn since we moved to Iowa 12 years ago. I'm glad to hear it's open -- last time I was there, it was in pretty sad shape.

To tell you the truth, I have no idea how long they serve until.

I just called, and Sunday brunch is served until 2PM.

Crap. Well, the flight is only 1:30, barring head winds, so in THEORY we should make it -- but that assumes that we actually get out of the office precisely at noon.

Bottom line: Don't wait, but we'll be there if we can!

Why not bounce over east to Jordan Valley?

Jordan Valley had to close their landing strip. It seems that a company that was spraying grass hoppers one year contaminated the strip. All of the dirt and dust was blowing into town. I could land at the Skinner ranch at Danner though.

Hmmm I can probably make it down there for that. Heck I haven't been to lake lawn since I went there on my PP dual XC flight in '94 :yikes:

Provided of course it isn't a booming soaring day :D

Barry, i'd love to come but I'm going to be to tired. We have our Special Needs Fly-in on Sat. morning and then i'm taking my Great Nephew Bow-Fishing that night. Don't think i will wake up till LATE AFTERNOON.Someday i will get out there to meet you and the others from that area.
Dave G

I just extended the plane until 4:00, so I can hang around for those late-comers!

Barry, i'd love to come but I'm going to be to tired. We have our Special Needs Fly-in on Sat. morning and then i'm taking my Great Nephew Bow-Fishing that night. Don't think i will wake up till LATE AFTERNOON.Someday i will get out there to meet you and the others from that area.
Dave G

Dave, we met at Gston's (it was either year two or three). after being there years 1, 2 & 3, I haven't made it back since year 3 - you guys are always picking the wrong dates!

Unfortunately I won't be there now. I had to fly to Toronto on an urgent basis as my Mom was rushed to the ER yesterday morning. She's been battling Hepatitis C for the past 25 years and recently was diagnosed with a tumor on her liver. She had surgery last week to cut off the blood supply to the tumor but has had complications following the surgery.

Dang, sorry to hear that Barry! Hope she improves soon!

I trust you don't mind if we go ahead and go on with the get-together, though. We'll raise a glass (of orange juice) toasting to her speedy recovery.

Coming from the East PHN is it better to stay under the Bravo shelf over the Lake or Circle around the back side?

I could go up the West Side and back the Lakeshore giving my wife the best view in both directions.

Local guidance please?

As long as the Prez isn't in town I'd try the lakeshore route. In that case just close the vents over Gary :)

Coming from the East PHN is it better to stay under the Bravo shelf over the Lake or Circle around the back side?

I could go up the West Side and back the Lakeshore giving my wife the best view in both directions.

Local guidance please?
6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Pete is right, as long as you do not have the potus tfr the lakefront is nice. Do watch out for the stadium NOTAMS as the SOX and Cubs have fields that can affect your ability to fly close to shore on the way home.

All the class D airports work with VFR traffic very well and have no problems with airpsace transitions. You can get FF with MDW approach without any issues. For ORD FF lots of luck, try giving them a call on 126.8 and you might get lucky if a trainee is working the console.

All the class D airports work with VFR traffic very well and have no problems with airpsace transitions. You can get FF with MDW approach without any issues. For ORD FF lots of luck, try giving them a call on 126.8 and you might get lucky if a trainee is working the console.

On my recent MYR trip I tried a new trick from IFR magazine to assist in FF and popup IFRs. I file the flight plan with IFR checked but with a VFR altitude and VFR ADVISORIES in the comment section. This puts the plan in the system not just sends it to FSS like the VFR box does.

When I called ground at MYR they said they had a flight plan for me advise ready to copy. So I said ready and received the clearance "REMAIN VFR. CONTACT APPROACH 127.4 SQUAWK 3016". From then on it was like IFR except each handoff was REMAIN VFR ALTIMETER XXXX.

It worked fine through CLEVELAND CTR and CLE APPROACH as I skirted around their Bravo.

Thanks for the suggestions

Local guidance please?

Direct doesn't take you near the Bravo. :D

On my recent MYR trip I tried a new trick from IFR magazine to assist in FF and popup IFRs. I file the flight plan with IFR checked but with a VFR altitude and VFR ADVISORIES in the comment section. This puts the plan in the system not just sends it to FSS like the VFR box does.

When I called ground at MYR they said they had a flight plan for me advise ready to copy. So I said ready and received the clearance "REMAIN VFR. CONTACT APPROACH 127.4 SQUAWK 3016". From then on it was like IFR except each handoff was REMAIN VFR ALTIMETER XXXX.

It worked fine through CLEVELAND CTR and CLE APPROACH as I skirted around their Bravo.

Thanks for the suggestions
Chi-TRACON will have no idea what you are doing and will treat you as IFR. They will also expect you to be IFR compliant and when you are not I would guess they might decide there was a pilot deviation that needed to be reported. If they did figure out what you were doing and just wanted FF their radios would suddenly lock up and not hear you ;). In either case it is unlikely that you would get a bravo transistion. Their local rule is to keep non-ORD arrivals out of the bravo as much as possible.

Back