Ready to buy new V-band turbo couplings?

Turbo-Arrow-Driver

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Turbo-Arrow Owner
Coming soon to an AD near you! NPRM, docket 2022-0891. This is going to hit a very large number of turbo-charged aircraft. Mandatory replacement of V-band couplings under various time-in-service limits, with some leeway.

For my a/c, FAA's estimated parts costs are off by a factor of 8-10. Oh joy.

Anyway, just a heads up so you're not caught unawares when it pops...

I already commented against it.

I was wondering if there were decent quality auto v-band clamps of the correct size and configuration that might fit mine (EAB).
And, what price they are.
Wondering if it would be possible to be ahead by changing the auto ones every 2 years vs the $illy-priced aviation ones (which may not get changed for 10 or 20 years).

I was wondering if there were decent quality auto v-band clamps of the correct size and configuration that might fit mine (EAB).
Wondering if it would be possible to be ahead by changing the auto ones every 2 years vs the $illy-priced aviation ones (which may not get changed for 10 or 20 years).

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=1318-102

Check various auto racing supply houses such as Pegasus (above) Jeg’s, Summit. We used various high quality SS ‘T’ nut band clamps on exhaust couplings on our formula cars. I would think the quality would be as good as aviation certified equivalents and usable on exp aircraft.

You'll find a major cause of the failures is improper install torque/technique. They've been changing these type clamps on a number of helicopters/turbines via AD since 30 years ago. As mitigating action in most cases there is a repetitive retorque and safety wire the clamp bands to each other. Using/rechecking the torque took care of most of the incidents on this side. Will be interesting how they go about this side of the industry.

If you go that route you need to be very aware of what you are buying. There are many different flange styles that result in different band clamp thicknesses. You need to make absolutely sure you have the right band clamp for the right flanges.

You'll want to be careful of automotive V-band clamps. The majority are made in China with nice, yet questionable spot welds.

Most aircraft manufacturers are reselling Eaton Marman V-band clamps. If someone is looking for an alternate try to buy them direct from the manufacturer and avoid the extra cost uplift.

https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/catalog/ducting/sheet-metal-clamps.html

Eaton sells the EXACT flange types for aeronautical applications.

Last edited:
I think it was on BeechTalk in the engine section

Back