Re-using drained fuel?

Qotile

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Qotile
My plane is in annual and my fuel sender needs to be replaced which means draining the tank. Any smart ideas for not wasting the 25+ gallons of 100LL in the tank? Simple solutions for pumping it back after the repairs are complete?

20-Gal.-Sump-Recovery-Unit-Brochure-2013_Page_4.jpg

We have this style system (ours is way bigger) at the fuel farm to sump our sumped fuel from trucks/etc. Let it settle for 2-3 hours and then drain it via gravity through a filter attachment (think oil filter) and back in the tank again. Might not be economical for a one time thing but worth looking into?

If nothing else I would put as much as I could in 5 gal pails and either reuse it in the plane or run it in my yard tools.

My plane is in annual and my fuel sender needs to be replaced which means draining the tank. Any smart ideas for not wasting the 25+ gallons of 100LL in the tank? Simple solutions for pumping it back after the repairs are complete?
If you knew the fuel sender needed replacing, why is it full of fuel?

Large plastic trash can with a grounding strap?

We had a fire while draining fuel from an aircraft in the hangar.
I recommend carefully grounding the aircraft and the tank and doing it outside the hangar.

Who cares? The guy needs to drain some fuel and asked for some advice from others who've done it. Simple question, simple answers. The comment about fire risk is the best reply so far. Drain it outdoors and keep an extinguisher nearby.

I had to drain my right tank to replace a leaking sump. I drained it into a five gallon fuel can and poured it into the left tank.

If you don't have a tank big enough to store it so you can pump it back in, could you put it in another airplane?

Who cares? The guy needs to drain some fuel and asked for some advice from others who've done it. Simple question, simple answers. The comment about fire risk is the best reply so far. Drain it outdoors and keep an extinguisher nearby.

Fuel draining can only be accomplished by a qualified A&P mechanic; anyone else is too stoopit. ;)

Give the fuel to me and I will take care of the problem for you.....;)

If you don't have a tank big enough to store it so you can pump it back in, could you put it in another airplane?
Would you allow that to happen to your aircraft? who knows what is in that fuel?

Whatever you do, DO NOT go to Harbor freight and get a tank unless it's fuel rated.

Ask my MX why he had 35 gallons of 100LL on the hangar floor in the AM.

Go to the parts store, get a fuel filter with 3/8" in and out. A piece of 3/8 hose, (I use clear tubing) and siphon it through the filter back into the airplane.

15.5G Beer kegs are great fuel tanks, easy to move, stainless tuff and cheap, used them a bit to fuel remotely.

I also write a little sticky note and tape it to them

"I, James Lastname, approve this fuel tank"

Which fixes the little ninnies at the airport "omg, is that a approved fuel tank, I mindlessly follow signs and the sign says it has to be approved"

And there is a sign that says approved fuel containers only, so to keep it kosher, be sure you approve it before use.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 61
how do you filter fuel before putting back in the tank ? Coffee filter is OK ?

You guys don't have Mr Funnels? I still
have a tractor funnel with a chamois but Mr Funnel is a lot easier to handle.

how do you filter fuel before putting back in the tank ? Coffee filter is OK ?

Depends,

Some guys use jerry can or diaphragm pump and a chamois cloth

Other with a old bandanna

Other folks use a inline automotive filter and a electric pump

Other just pour it in

Lots depends on your faith in the source of the fuel

Speedy Syphon, storm drain,, bye bye fuel..

Speedy Syphon, storm drain,, bye bye fuel..
I fly out of the Santa Maria Public airport (KSMX).

Santa Maria is an agricultural valley and anything that goes down the storm drain can end up in the aquifer.

I would prefer that people didn’t pour leaded gasoline down the storm drain.

If you're a high wing, you could always siphon down to a low wing.

Alternatively, post a note on your local car club /racing site. Plenty of folks who'd be willing to take $125 worth of fuel off of your hands at no cost to you (that includes pilots too).

Back