Re-registering and FAA delays

Tokirbymd

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tokirbymd
Registration renewals- My registration is up end of November. I renewed online back in July or August and the online registry shows my updated registration end date as Nov 30 2025. However I haven't received the paper copy and according to the website they are just now processing files from April. For new registrants there is a 90d letter of extension that may be requested and printed to be carried in lieu of the new registration. However, there does not appear to be a similar pathway for re-registering aircraft. Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?
There have been several previous threads on this topic which offer more details. But to get specific info on your aircraft the best route is to email the Registration Branch at Oak City or call them at the local 405 number vs the 1-800 number. Great people and will get you squared away with your answers.

I’m doing an initial registration. It’s been 10 months already and still nothing, doesn’t make sense to me but whatever. I emailed for an extension and had it via email to print out in 1-2 business days.

I’m doing an initial registration. It’s been 10 months already and still nothing, doesn’t make sense to me but whatever. I emailed for an extension and had it via email to print out in 1-2 business days.
It’s faster to process 3 extensions that wouldn’t be necessary than to process the original request. Faa logic 101.

The initial registration process includes a manual review to check that both the bill of sale and application were properly filled out (that includes more that each box has something in it). Based on stories I've heard and personal experience, the number of filings made without aircraft escrow that have to be returned for errors is substantial. Add to that COVID delays, a hot market, and staffing issues and that translates to a long time.

My renewal was required in paper due to address chance.

August 1st sent it in with my $10 and returned fully complete Sept 27th for an end of year renewal. All good until Dec 31, 2025

Last edited:
I was in a seminar a couple weeks ago and the speaker said call the FSDO before your end date, and they can issue a temporary registration.
My immediate thought was: "Some one will answer a phone at the FSDO? "

Back