RC Allen Digital Gyro's

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
Everyone talks about the Aerovonics and the G5's... but there's another player in the certified field for digital AI/DG. RC Allen also makes one that seems to avoid the limelight.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/rca1510.php
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/rca2610.php

For the cons:
  • More expensive than G5's,
  • Seemingly less capability
  • Potentially less support in the future
Pros:
  • Much simpler install, just power and ground
  • Simpler de-cluttered interface
  • Round
Anyone have experience or heard anything with these?
10-06431a.jpg 10-06580.jpg

Hard nooope

So pay more and I still don’t get overlays, seems these engineers don’t get half the point of a glass HSI, where’s my waypoint overlay, weather overlay, airspace overlay? I’d pay like $999 OTD for that thing MAX and only because unlike the G5 it fits in a normal round hole.

My plane has one as a replacement for a previous backup electric spinny AI without a battery. Long battery life, simple install, no pitot/static needed(they did have a model with pitot static for 'higher performance' aircraft). Put it in place of the TC with an inclinometer with the intention of it being the backup to a pair of G5s. Have not flown with it yet as the plane is still in a state of disrepair.

Have seen a number of the RCs installed in Cubs and other aircraft with basic panels that will never need the flexibility of a Garmin. Only installed one in a Super Cub but it's as close to plug and play as it gets. Most owners wanted to get rid of the vacuum and keep it simple.

Have seen a number of the RCs installed in Cubs and other aircraft with basic panels that will never need the flexibility of a Garmin. Only installed one in a Super Cub but it's as close to plug and play as it gets. Most owners wanted to get rid of the vacuum and keep it simple.
That's my viewpoint, but am open to other ideas. It also looks like I may need a separate GPS antenna for the DG? My current GPS antenna is driving my GDL82 ADSB.

It also looks like I may need a separate GPS antenna for the DG?
We didn't connect a GPS. But if I recall it can accept GPS data from an external GPS unit as well. We also had installed the RC Attitude Ind which made for a very clean install on the panel.

I bought 10 or so of the attitude indicators. Installed them In cropdusting planes because we were flying at night. Nice insurance against the inadvertent IMC in the dark.

They were very robust. I negotiated a healthy discount though...

I’m looking forward to the av30

If I didn’t go IFR I’d just toss a non TSOed AV30 in now.

Everyone talks about the Aerovonics and the G5's... but there's another player in the certified field for digital AI/DG. RC Allen also makes one that seems to avoid the limelight.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/rca1510.php
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/rca2610.php

For the cons:
  • More expensive than G5's,
  • Seemingly less capability
  • Potentially less support in the future
Pros:
  • Much simpler install, just power and ground
  • Simpler de-cluttered interface
  • Round
View attachment 78698 View attachment 78699

I installed both of these in my 1956 Cessna 172 to replace the venturi setup. Waiting on the 337 approval. If anyone has gotten approval for one of these installs I would really love to get some more information about your experience with the approval process.

If anyone has gotten approval for one of these installs
FWIW: For the Attitude Indicator you can install it as a minor alteration, i.e., no 337, provided you meet the requirements of the policy letter below.
https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_...f1aeac86257ec1005b2fbc/$FILE/PS-ACE-23-08.pdf

The DG could possibly be done as a minor also, but would depend on whether the OEMs considers the indicator "required" or not and a few other items. Same if your plan is to remove the entire vacuum system. The AI was an FAA safety initiative which is why there is a separate policy. There are several other threads on here that offer other info as well. Regardless, if your installer decided the alteration needed a 337, there might be some other reasons for it too.

Last edited:
Thanks! I think the Hangup was the DG and entirely removing the vacuum system. I’ll follow up when we have a resolution.

FWIW: For the Attitude Indicator you can install it as a minor alteration, i.e., no 337, provided you meet the requirements of the policy letter below.
https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_...f1aeac86257ec1005b2fbc/$FILE/PS-ACE-23-08.pdf

I've got an Aspen E5 and I'd like to put a backup AI of some type in the panel also. The above doesn't really address a non required back up. Is there any easier way to install a backup AI that wouldn't need the TSO or STC of a primary instrument?

Is there any easier way to install a backup AI that wouldn't need the TSO or STC of a primary instrument?
Yes, as long as it is not required by your E5 install. Provided the installation doesn't cross the line into a major, you could simply install your back-up as a minor alteration. There are other discussions around on installing non-TSO equipment, so I won't repeat any of that, but this is a classic example where you could install a non-TSO AI on a logbook entry. However, I would defer to your APIAs decision as it's their call.

Thanks! I think the Hangup was the DG and entirely removing the vacuum system. I’ll follow up when we have a resolution.

Same.

From PS-ACE-28-03:
To install an electronically-driven attitude indicator as a minor alteration, the above conditions and the following additional regulations must be met: ... 2. The electronically-driven attitude indicator requires only minor changes to the existing electrical and vacuum connections to the aircraft, per part 43.
I have the G5 HSI with the intent of replacing the AI with a G5 once funds open up. At which point, the vacuum system would get yanked. Would the latter put me out of the running for a minor alteration? :oops:

Would the latter put me out of the running for a minor alteration?
The Attitude Indicator replacement per the Policy memo is still valid. I take it the G5 HSI was installed per an STC or something? As to the vacuum system removal it falls to how the airframe and engine OEMs address the vacuum system whether it can follow the minor alteration route. Too many variables to make that call.

I take it the G5 HSI was installed per an STC or something? As to the vacuum system removal it falls to how the airframe and engine OEMs address the vacuum system whether it can follow the minor alteration route. Too many variables to make that call.

Correcto on the STC and 337 for the G5 HSI.

I'll talk it over with my IA. But I'm pretty much expecting, given that Policy Letter, having the scope of the work include removal of the vacuum system, it will require the 337.

If I still had my vacuum driven DG, I'd feel quite certain replacing my AI with a G5 would be a minor alteration.

having the scope of the work include removal of the vacuum system,
Keep the AI separate from the vacuum system removal which should leave the AI under the policy memo as a minor. The hard part was people that replaced the AI, first, under the memo, then wanted to replace the DG and vac system. You went the other way. If necessary use the 337 for the vac sys only.;)

Back