Raptor Aircraft, Vaporware?

They have an awesome aircraft...on paper.

These guys have been around for what, two years? You would think for a company that's been asking for a 2K deposits for two years now, they'd at least have a flying prototype. They're just now beginning work on a scale RC model. Also, I'm no aerodynamacist but I think their computer predictions are extremely optimistic.:dunno:

Having said that, I sincerely hope they get it flying and find a customer base. Would like to hear Velocity getting their turbine concept aircraft off the ground as well.

Nigerian prince or Raptor aircraft. Send them money, results will be the same.

Would be great if they can do it, but my money stays in my pocket until they've proven it...

I posted that in the velocity thread. Still not sure about the powerplant

From my looking at their website, they're using an audi diesel engine.

Nope... I want a certified GA diesel.

Still claiming a performance benefit from area ruling, I see. I'll chalk it up to marketing 'cause ignorance is scarier.

Nauga,
and his transonic drag rise

I'm probably missing it, but there's no address given for contact. My guess is if an actual plan exists, he" s building in his basement. No way is he making his sale price though. When all is done, he'll still be near a new Cessna.

if they could bring it to fruition at the sales price they're stating, that would be a contender for me.

I'm probably missing it, but there's no address given for contact. My guess is if an actual plan exists, he" s building in his basement. No way is he making his sale price though. When all is done, he'll still be near a new Cessna.

Agree, but if it's pressurized and meets the specs, it would STILL be worth the money.

Apple started in a garage.... I agree on the price though.

Doesn't this same concept already exist in the form of the velocity?

Doesn't this same concept already exist in the form of the velocity?

Kinda, their claims exceed the capability of the Velocity though.

The Raptor is an extremely spacious 5 place, pressurized, composite aircraft with a 62" wide cabin with a top speed of 300 knots that can cruise at 230 knots true on 7 gph of Diesel or Jet-A. It will come equipped with an optional BRS airframe parachute, constant speed, reversing propeller and anti-lock brakes. It's a luxury SUV for the sky.

I guess they found an aerodynamic design that exceeds the laws of physics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I read that based on other computer predictions by mearly flying it over Africa it will cure aids.

Also heard Chuck Norris and Jesus Christ himself will be volunteering to be the first test pilots after Bob Hoover said he wasn't worthy :rofl:

Is anybody going to OSH? Their website says they'll be at booth #166. Someone should swing by and see what they have to say.

I think I read that based on other computer predictions by mearly flying it over Africa it will cure aids.

Also heard Chuck Norris and Jesus Christ himself will be volunteering to be the first test pilots after Bob Hoover said he wasn't worthy :rofl:

All they have to do is reverse the polarity of the Chemtrail juice for that.

Joking aside, do you guys think the numbers would be possible if they scaled it back to a smaller, 2 place design.

Joking aside, do you guys think the numbers would be possible if they scaled it back to a smaller, 2 place design.

7gph of Diesel makes around 180- 190hp given 10% prop slippage. You have to be really optimized to cruise at 230kts to make it on that little power. Since there's a problem adding flaps on a canard, I would think that to make that speed, T/O & Landing speeds would have to be prohibitively high. Hopefully it would have at least 250hp to accelerate, more would be better, otherwise it'll take a lot of runway.

7gph of Diesel makes around 180- 190hp given 10% prop slippage.

Yeah, but they're going to extract the Hydrogen from the Diesel, and as you've made clear, Hydrogen is magic, and produces much more power than anything else.

"We will be exhibiting our 1/4 scale model at AirVenture"

Well, they built an RC anyway. Wonder if it has a 1/4 scale diesel engine?

Their model stand consists of some PVC.... I hope this isn't some foam model lol

Realistic performance or not, I don't see them getting the 1000 deposits they say is required to start production. But then again, I've seen some amazing amounts of money raised on kickstarter type websites . . . .

As for performance, I'm with those that say they've discovered new laws of physics. The video mentions the torque of the engine. Wonderful, but as pointed out here, speed takes power, not torque. A cabin that's 50% wider punches a 50% bigger hole in the air. IIRC, that means 50% more power, area rule or not (which I seem to recall affects Cd, so only a minor improvement in total drag from that trick).

Realistic performance or not, I don't see them getting the 1000 deposits they say is required to start production. But then again, I've seen some amazing amounts of money raised on kickstarter type websites . . . .

As for performance, I'm with those that say they've discovered new laws of physics. The video mentions the torque of the engine. Wonderful, but as pointed out here, speed takes power, not torque. A cabin that's 50% wider punches a 50% bigger hole in the air. IIRC, that means 50% more power, area rule or not (which I seem to recall affects Cd, so only a minor improvement in total drag from that trick).

Exactly. The concept isn't nessesaraly flawed, but the numbers a super un realistic. It would be nice if all manufacturers quit over promising and under delivering

When someone does a slick low "flying wing", I'll start considering those kind of numbers.

BTW, the hole diameter is not the greatest issue, total wetted surface is the larger factor there which is why you see modern designs with larger diameter cabins and wasp thin tails.

Two days later... still no photos of the model on Raptor's website, social media sites or here. Did the model ever make it to Oshkosh?

Dude says the model isnt complete to the point he wants to post pictures, yet. No way I would give him my money

Back