<Rant> Please announce your intentions in English for us mortal VFR pilots</Rant>

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by WannFly, Nov 30, 2017.

1. coloradobluesky

coloradobluesky En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    coloradobluesky
    I agree. I always make VFR calls, not IFR calls when flying an approach. Usually calling "5 miles out, straight in for runway 16 and I will be going around at 200' AGL" etc.

Much better than saying "5 miles out on ILS 16 and will execute the standard missed". Huh? Sure, pilots that know where that is will understand you. But the VFR one, EVERYONE understands you.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  2. MadseasoN

MadseasoN Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    MadseasoN
    My favorites:
    "Podunk traffic Cessna 1234 is on the GPS approach for 32".
    Thanks. But that doesn't mean anything to me.

"Podunk traffic Cessna 1234 is over the high school".
    Which one? There are at least 50 in the range of this frequency. At least 3 within 10 miles of the AP.

Several ATC or tower controllers who don't like repeating themselves: "<sigh> ..."
    Your sigh doesn't affect my flying in the least. So stop it.

Palmpilot and WannFly like this.
  3. jnmeade

jnmeade Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim Meade
    I am a CFII and understand the issue.
    Anymore, I simply get on the horn as ask, "Piper 12345 how far are you from the airport, what altitude and what heading". I tend to do that even when I know exactly where they are, just to be ornery.
    As we all know, too often in an IFR training situation, BOTH heads are in the cockpit. Shouldn't be, but too often is. I'm thinking see-and-avoid is too often not as good as it might be in this situation, so helping the VFR pilot understand where you are helps him help you avoid a mid-air.

WannFly likes this.
  4. chartbundle

chartbundle Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    chartbundle
    And since they didn't say Podunk again at the end of the transmission, the beginning one was stepped on so you really have no useful information at all.

WannFly likes this.
  5. jnmeade

jnmeade Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim Meade
    I don't mind announcing over a given landmark if it is distinctive and helps situational awareness, but agree that it needs to be precise. Sometimes two local pilots may have informal separation discussions that the rest of the world doesn't understand and it may not make any difference. so I don' t dismiss landmark references out of hand.

WannFly likes this.
  6. WannFly

WannFly En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    WannaFly
    On a diff leg I heard a pilot make awesome position report for every possible turn in his pattern, but failed to announce the airport, twice. I knew it was not my destination airport because of the runway numbers, but must be confusing to everyone else on that frequency.

I will admit, I have acquired a habit of ending my calls with my tail number for whatever reason , my home field is towered, then key in and correct it with the non towered airport name

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

7. WannFly

WannFly En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    WannaFly
    The other problem is... I am not local, I don't know where the freaking high school to the south is

aftCG likes this.
  8. flyingron

flyingron Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    I agree. Second rant is for those who insist on giving military type position reports that don't mean anything to civilians (IFR or VFR). Oddly, this is never the actual military doing it, just a bunch of guys still pretending that WWII is still going on.

WannFly likes this.
  9. Chip Sylverne

Chip Sylverne En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fear is the poison of our lives.
    I am more concerned with other IFR guys shooting practice approaches than I am vfr guys. I want the other guy heading to the holding fix iunder the hood to know that I'm in the hold, outbound or inbound, or at the FAF. Then I'll say x miles out, straight in rwy xx or whatever the intention may be. I've almost been creamed more times by one pilot under the hood and the other looking at an ipad than I have by vfr guys in the pattern.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  10. Kritchlow

Kritchlow Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kritchlow
    No no..... you do not need to know where other traffic is. Everyone just needs to listen.

Chip Sylverne likes this.
  11. mondtster

mondtster Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    mondtster
    Instead of ranting about the quality of the position report being given, maybe we should be happy that a position report was given? This is just a friendly reminder that use of the radio is optional in the situation described by the OP.

If you can't get a position report out of the other pilot that you can understand the thing you should take away from the radio transmission is that there is someone else in the area using the airport besides you. Not that you shouldn't be looking anyway, but be extra thorough in your scan of the horizon as you look for the other airplane.

12. somorris

somorris Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    somorris
    I'm with you, Paul. I can't recall any approaches that would have a procedure turn after a touch and go.

13. Clark1961

Clark1961 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Display name:
    Easy enough to transition from one approach to another approach to the opposite runway which would include a procedure turn or a HIL. It'd save time maneuvering for the next practice approach.

14. somorris

Display Name:

Display name:
    somorris
    Sure it is easy enough, Clark, but in that case more verbiage would have been nice and it would have been another approach. I was just pointing out that as Paul said, she lost some of her cool factor. We all need to work on being more specific in language everybody can understand.

15. Chip Sylverne

Chip Sylverne En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fear is the poison of our lives.
    More likely they said "published missed" and the op after hearing both doesn't know that from a procedure turn.

16. Clark1961

Clark1961 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Display name:
    Cool factor lost. What's cool factor? Tell ya what, I'll put you under the hood then fail all your instruments except the tach and the clock and we'll see where your "cool factor" is. Deal?

None of us were perfect during instrument training. Well, maybe Henning was. Maybe the CFII in this case shoulda chimed in. I agree that it is best to give the VFR translation on position reports just as it is important to let other IFR studs know where ya are on the approach that they may also be flying. Its a balance thing and I think the CFIIs should be picking up the slack. They aren't doing much but being ballast anyway by that point in the training...

17. WannFly

WannFly En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    WannaFly
    Good point...

18. WannFly

WannFly En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    WannaFly
    Completely possible, I picked up few words here and there but the whole sentence didn't make any sense to me

19. WannFly

WannFly En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    WannaFly
    By the way, the lady in question was on right seat. May be she is CFI II, donno. I saw them gett8ng ready for departure after I landed. I doubt a student will ever volunteer to sit on the rt seat. Or may be the lady was safety pilot making radio calls.

20. Kritchlow

Kritchlow Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kritchlow
    "Published Miss".... ouch. That would be silly, and perhaps flat out braggy.

Just not good form.

21. Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Light and Sporty Guy
    And, once we get the IFR dudes (and dudettes) straightened out, we can work on the VFR guys (and guyettes) that announce things like right downwind for 21 when they are on a left downwind for 03...

TRocket, WannFly and Zeldman like this.
  22. Kritchlow

Kritchlow Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kritchlow
    Exactly..... but it's taboo to ask where anyone is.... at least in POA.

23. somorris

Display Name:

Display name:
    somorris
    I would, but I might lose my cool factor :).

24. nauga

nauga Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mantis Toboggan, MD
    "Cirrus approaching Alexandria, Warrior XXXX initial for the overhead, 31, we'll keep an eye out fer ya."

Nauga,
    in the blind

25. charheep

charheep Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    charheep
    Turn off your radio. Problem solved.

26. TRocket

TRocket Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Uncle Jesse
    Bugsmasher 12345, 5 mile final, practice low approach, RWY 34... and subsequent intervals from the runway. Keeps it simple and any pilot should be able to understand. [Says who you are, where you are, and what you are going to do when you get to the runway, pretty simple]

And while there are IR guys that do not to a good job of announcing there positions/intentions (myself included I'm sure) that can be frustrating to VFR guys, there are plenty of VFR guys they say plenty of screwy stuff that irritates IR guys. It's a two way street.

My .02

WannFly likes this.
  27. MadseasoN

MadseasoN Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    MadseasoN
    I agree. I was being a little facetious about the GPS approach callout. I've taken the time to learn the IFR approaches at my home airport. And where all the schools are.

Still would help to be more accurate. We have 2 Bravo, 3-4 Delta, and a whole bunch of other airports within a 20 mile radius. There are definitely other planes in the area. I defer to the AIM.

28. RoscoeT

RoscoeT Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    RoscoeT
    Similar for the formation jockeys who announce "initial" and "break". Yeah yeah I know the overhead pattern is in the AIM. But it's very obscure, not generally taught, and 99% of the flight school guys in the beehive pattern will have no clue what they're talking about. If you're gonna bother talking on the radio, make sure there is comprehension on the other end.

29. mscard88

mscard88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    What would you expect a military to say differently? That's what they are taught, and controllers use the terms also, FAA and military controllers. It's explained in the AIM so wouldn't a flight school ensure students knew what the terms were if military planes are there a lot, or based there especially. It ain't rocket science!

KA550 likes this.
  30. RoscoeT

RoscoeT Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    RoscoeT
    I'm not talking military field or military pilots recovering aircraft after an Uncle Sam funded exercise. I'm talking recreational formation pilots flying personal aircraft for fun at GA airports using lingo that most do not understand. How about just say X miles out for an overhead upwind Rwy XX for midfield crosswind circle to land. Most will understand that.

31. mscard88

mscard88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    OK, I thought you were talking about military. I see your point.

32. Tantalum

Tantalum Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    San_Diego_Pilot
    Thanks for posting that. When I started my instrument training and we did practice approaches my instructor was very strict about keeping the terms VFR basic. The first time I came on with something jumbled like "departing the hold inbound VOR ALPHA to MDA then executing missed" and he was like "what the hell does all that mean?"... up until a few months ago I would have had no idea what the heck that meant either! Now we just say something easy "inbound from the west, 5 miles, will do a low approach to runway 6 at 1,100 then depart to the northeast"

I notice that at the controlled airport when we do the practice approaches the tower also announces us to other pattern traffic with basic terms, "the archer will be from the east, making a left 270 midfield. Follow him on your downwind to 27L"

Palmpilot, WannFly and mscard88 like this.
  33. 1RTK1

1RTK1 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ralph
    If you think the OP's problem understanding IFR lingo is hard, try flying at an uncontrolled field that happens to be next to a school comprised of mainly Chinese students that haven't yet mastered the English language

WannFly likes this.
  34. MetalCloud

MetalCloud Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    MetalCloud
    I get it. I'm IFR, and if I go into an uncontrolled field for an approach, I speak as if I'm doing it VFR. It's not hard.

Let's say you've got a dude in a Skycatcher 6 pack.. If you say "Cirrus 123 over WAYPT inbound on the GPS 30" he's not going to have a clue what that means. He can ask, but why put the burden on him? So I just call it like it's a VFR approach. "Cirrus 123 10 miles to the South, on the GPS approach straight in for 30 full stop."

Safer that way. I can't control what other people inherently know or don't know. But I can control what information I give them.

Tantalum and WannFly like this.
  35. WannFly

WannFly En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    WannaFly
    ha ha. I know what you mean. they often come over from grand forks and more often than not I have no idea what they are saying, thank god for the controlled airport in KFAR. I have no idea how the controllers understand, but I like to believe they do.

36. PPC1052

PPC1052 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    PPC
    Just say, "What a coincidence? So am I."

37. PPC1052

PPC1052 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    PPC
    I wish that I could honestly say that I have never done that.

38. PPC1052

PPC1052 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    PPC
    What's the "overhead?" I don't see it on my approach plate?

39. FlySince9

FlySince9 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jerry
    Probably sounds like a bunch of silverware hitting the floor... You know... Ching, chang, Plink, Bing, Bonk...etc...

EDIT: Affectionately, of course....

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    WannFly likes this.
  40. Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Light and Sporty Guy
    I can honestly say I've never done exactly that.