Random post about IT nerds: Who has the worst IT dept?

tech_support.png

We really did have a "backdoor codeword" for tech support when I worked for Oracle years ago ... I wonder if it still works? :)

We really did have a "backdoor codeword" for tech support when I worked for Oracle years ago ... I wonder if it still works? :)

Post it here and I'll bet it no longer works as soon as the powers that be see it.

I'm pretty sure the only Oracle tech support codeword is a monthly check with more digits on it.

My most recent IT interaction:

Email to myself [paraphrased]: "Dear user, we noticed that you recently used a VPN access point via IP a.b.c.d. That IP will be disconnected in 2 days. Please use the new profile to log in via the new IP x.y.z.w."

My reply: "Dear IT, your email contained no links to the new profile or an attachment. The new profile is not present in the VPN installation folder on your server. Your VPN client is not allowing me to change the IP address, it is locked to the profile. Moreover, the client won't let me create a new profile without group login (which I do not have). Please advice on how to change the IP of y'all's VPN server".

Two weeks pass.

Reply from IT: "Dear user, if you need assistance with this support ticket request, please let us know, otherwise the ticket will be closed for inactivity".

My reply: "Dear IT, after y'all locked me out of VPN access, I found smart people who advised me and I restored access myself. You can close the ticket."

This is so funny. It's literally what I've been through lately. And I have found the secret to getting to the right person with our local ISP. When I call and get the phone tree, do not press the number for "technical support", press the number for "billing". That connects me directly to the technician. Go figure.

Obligatory re-posting of one of the funniest and most frustrating support calls ever made. It kind'a takes your breath away that this is not one, but many people on the support side:

The latest IT fun: I have a new client that uses RSA SecurID to let you into their VPN. I have to have an app on my phone, onto which I load a token, and then I put a PIN into it and it spits back a password that's good for 60 seconds.

I went through the steps they told me to to get the token, and they said approval could take "a couple days." I asked again today because it's been 3 days, and they said they'd forward it to my company's email.

Yeah. Their system sends the token that you need to log into their VPN, to an internal email address that you have to be on the VPN to access. Face. Palm.

Reminds me of the old story where someone's internet goes down, and they contact their ISP, who advises them that they need to send an email to support@ispname.com to open a ticket. :rolleyes:

Obligatory re-posting of one of the funniest and most frustrating support calls ever made. It kind'a takes your breath away that this is not one, but many people on the support side:

That was for real... wow.

Back