Ramp parking etiquette

dans2992

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dans2992
So, I was taxiing between two rows of aircraft at CXL today, and a 310 had his nose sticking significantly further out than everyone else's nose. It seemed to be a wingtip collision hazard for aircraft taxiing by. (It looked close from my vantage point anyway).

It appeared he had plenty of space to move further back, but perhaps his tiedown points would not be properly positioned over the chains.

Anyhow, just curious, if I was the one driving the 310, what's the proper way to handle this situation? Personally I think I'd opt to park further back....

I'm not sure what type of answer you are looking for as to how to "handle this situation". I guess it is fair to say that if it was your 310 you could park it however you like.

On a related note, I cut the thistles from my paddock at the ground but my neighbor only cuts off the flowers from his thistles. I am wondering how to handle this situation.

Not enough information. The 310 could be parked where he was because:

1. That's where the tiedown ropes are with respect to his wing.
2. That's where the line guy told him to stop.
3. He put his wheels on the line.
etc...

I like to park in end spots so I don't get door dings.

On a related note, I cut the thistles from my paddock at the ground but my neighbor only cuts off the flowers from his thistles. I am wondering how to handle this situation.
WMD - go for the chemical weapons - don't mess around. A little round-up aught to get the message across. :D

Probably the same 310 pilot that whips the aircraft around on the ramp using the engines, blowing crap all over people and other aircraft.

WMD - go for the chemical weapons - don't mess around. A little round-up aught to get the message across. :D

+11ty billion

Around here, thistles are classified as a noxious weed and you can be fined. Roundup, followed by Jet-A, followed by a match should be sufficient. You have to kill the seeds, too.

---

And I usually stop where the marshaller wants me to stop.

My general rule is I try to avoid taxiing into parked aircraft. ...But that's just me.

I'm waiting for Ted Dupuis to post a thread on "There was some numb nuts taxing around in a Comanche 260 getting dangerously close to my 310. Does no one have ramp parking etiquette anymore?"

I pulled into Destin late one evening, raining pretty hard and was being guided by a line guy between parked aircraft. He motioned me forward even though a single engine turbine was parked with it's nose very much in front of other aircraft. As I approached and he waived me forward, I just couldn't get comfortable. Shut it down and got out to look. I would have dinged him for sure. They comped some fuel when I left. PIC needs to be careful out there.

I have a huge problem in the King Air taxing into airports without a ground guide. Folks usually take up the first spots which means I have to taxi between them. My wing span is larger than most of them and it can be a real issue. I can't shut it down and tow it around without a LOT of help and don't even carry a tow bar for that reason.

Y'all be careful out there.

Best,

Dave

I'll tell you the worst A-hole parking job I've ever seen was at Delano (KDLO.) Some ass munch decided to park his Tri Pacer about fifteen feet from the fuel island, making it impossible to leave the fuel area without pushing the plane backwards out of it. I wasn't familiar with the fueling station at that airport, so when I approached it and saw the plane, I assumed the pump was on the other side facing away from the ramp. Bad move. I almost got the rental 172 stuck between the fuel island and a light pole trying to taxi behind it.

As a noob, I appreciate these stories of what not to do. My flight training including absolutely zero training in etiquette. Parking/Run-Up/Courtesy Car Usage/???? I aim not to be THAT GUY, but am likely oblivious at times.

I'm also a n00b, I try to park in the parking area over the T shaped lines but I've found in a lot of cases those lines are very faded or this time of the year likely snow/ice covered so if you don't already know where they are from having been at that airport a few times it's hard to know for sure where to go.

Then there's my home airport where the instructors- employees of the FBO mind you are always directing me to park in odd places instead of the normal parking spots... usually either for a shorter walking distance inside or to make room for a fuel truck/larger aircraft/who knows.

The point is, I am making every effort to park in a courteous and safe manner and somewhere out of everyone's way. Sometimes I'll screw up, sometimes the ramp situation will change between when I shut down and you arrive... but I'm trying my best not to be "that jackass". I really am.

if you accidentally hit him just leave a note on his windshield.

Probably the same pilots who park their aircraft in a other than normal way are the same ones that park their in parking lots over the lines. It's just a trait of a sloppy pilot probably just as bad flying too, best just to stay out of their way.:rolleyes2:

As a noob, I appreciate these stories of what not to do. My flight training including absolutely zero training in etiquette. Parking/Run-Up/Courtesy Car Usage/???? I aim not to be THAT GUY, but am likely oblivious at times.

It is too bad that some of that stuff isn't covered in flight training. Too many FBOs don't want you to fuel up anywhere else, so you don't get the experience of using a self-serve pump. If you are still in training, the next time you go with your CFI somewhere, stop for lunch. Add some fuel, borrow a car, and use the flight planning facilities (which might just be a desk and phone for calling FSS).

It is too bad that some of that stuff isn't covered in flight training. Too many FBOs don't want you to fuel up anywhere else, so you don't get the experience of using a self-serve pump. If you are still in training, the next time you go with your CFI somewhere, stop for lunch. Add some fuel, borrow a car, and use the flight planning facilities (which might just be a desk and phone for calling FSS).

For the first 6 months or so of training I had, the same CFI always had me park off to the side by a sign for the next student. Later on, I flew a lesson with a different instructor and he just had me park on the ramp in the normal parking area... he got onto me for not parking over the tie-down anchors "the what?".

Amazing the stuff you don't even know to ask about...

My long distance cross country was out to Albany. It was under construction (request progressive taxi), parking wasn't marked out (park on the grass next to the red and white Cessna), no tow bar in the plane (90 degree heat, midday sun, no help backing the plane up), and this was the first "stop" I'd ever made in a plane.
On the other hand, a couple of newly minted pilots I've flown with never heard of progressive taxi. This I attribute to the fire hose approach to learning and how new all of this training is.
After 25 years of flying, I once "borrowed" a crew car. Actually, it was offered because both the agents at the FBO didn't have time to run me and a buddy over to the local museum. By the way, any time you're in the area, stop by TAC AIR, Bradley International Airport, and take a trip over to New England Air Museum. Well worth the trip and TAC AIR is a great place to visit too.

I pulled into Destin late one evening, raining pretty hard and was being guided by a line guy between parked aircraft. He motioned me forward even though a single engine turbine was parked with it's nose very much in front of other aircraft. As I approached and he waived me forward, I just couldn't get comfortable. Shut it down and got out to look. I would have dinged him for sure. They comped some fuel when I left. PIC needs to be careful out there.

I have a huge problem in the King Air taxing into airports without a ground guide. Folks usually take up the first spots which means I have to taxi between them. My wing span is larger than most of them and it can be a real issue. I can't shut it down and tow it around without a LOT of help and don't even carry a tow bar for that reason.

Y'all be careful out there.

Best,

Dave

Which FBO do you use?

I'll tell you the worst A-hole parking job I've ever seen was at Delano (KDLO.) Some ass munch decided to park his Tri Pacer about fifteen feet from the fuel island, making it impossible to leave the fuel area without pushing the plane backwards out of it. I wasn't familiar with the fueling station at that airport, so when I approached it and saw the plane, I assumed the pump was on the other side facing away from the ramp. Bad move. I almost got the rental 172 stuck between the fuel island and a light pole trying to taxi behind it.

My favorite: at KJSO, some butt-wipe in a Bonanza left his plane blocking the (single) pump and went into town for lunch -- grrrr. :mad2::mad:

My favorite: at KJSO, some butt-wipe in a Bonanza left his plane blocking the (single) pump and went into town for lunch -- grrrr. :mad2::mad:

I have known folks that have repositioned a plane left like that. One time, it was put around the corner of a building where the pilot wouldn't immediately see it when they returned.

Best,

Dave

I have known folks that have repositioned a plane left like that. One time, it was put around the corner of a building where the pilot wouldn't immediately see it when they returned.

Best,

Dave

ROFL. Yup. Funny stuff.

As far as the OP goes... If you were able to taxi around it, it wasn't a hazard. :)

One thing that helped me (and still does) is to play the roll of columbo....I get out and ask a lot of questions to the linemen like, did I park ok, what could I do differently to make it easier for you, should I radio ahead on the FBO frequency, how do things flow here...ect

Respect their job and ask opinions.....you will get a lot of advice, and stories of what not to do...and yes always tip, especially when they bring a rental or courtesy car out to your plane....you just spent $200 in gas to get that burger.....you can afford a $5 or $10 tip....if not you shouldn't be flying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you tip ,when you go for the 100 hamburg ,the line men usually remember you and take care of you when parking. A lot of pilots out there are " all about me " pilots.

If you tip ,when you go for the 100 hamburg ,the line men usually remember you and take care of you when parking. A lot of pilots out there are " all about me " pilots.

And I thought it was because "the only thing cheap about aviation is the pilot"

Back