Ramen Noodles - How do you take them?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
A topic near and dear to any broke pilot's heart...

How do you like your Ramen Noodles?

Before I started obeying the gluten free diet, just a very tiny amount of broth...just enough to wet the noodles.

I hear all the ski bums out here talk about eating nothing but Ramen Noodles.... I must be really weird cause I have NEVER eaten any. In fact I don't even know what the container looks like they come in.:nonod:.

Boy, am I gonna get it for admitting to that..:redface::redface:

When I was a broke college student a buddy recommended ramen noodles as a cheap, edible food.

So the next time I was at the grocery store, I bought about $10 worth of the stuff. I got a few packages of all the flavors - chicken, shrimp, whatever.

Went back to the dorm and boiled some up. Blaargh. Hmm, I'll try another flavor. Blaargh. I ended up giving away about 20 packets.

I have loved Ramen (and all other) noodles since I was a kid. I still probably eat them an average of once a week. I put other ingredients in with the noodles though, like vegetables, chicken, or egg, depending on my mood. I also only use about half the flavor packet or else it is too salty.

During a fairly long duration as a graduate student, I did partake of many Ramen. They do require addition of many spices. Garlic is most beneficial and pepper is good too. Onion powder is mandatory. Sauces help also. Tabasco, soy, and others are useful in the pursuit of flavor.

In the end, Ramen does the job of providing energy (hey, it's starch) and keeping the digestive tract functioning. The broth really doesn't matter until it gets enough flavor to make it worth consuming. As it comes from the store, it's tasteless and pointless.

A topic near and dear to any broke pilot's heart...

How do you like your Ramen Noodles?

Well, if you don't want to go to Japan (they take Ramen very seriously), there are various sites you can pick up some of the imported packages. Otherwise you can go to a store that does import them. Some sites (like ramenlicious) have various recipes. Nissin isn't bad, same for Nong Shim Shin.

The cheap ones? The "best" I've had of the uber cheap is Maruchan.

In Japan though, ramen is a cultural thing, as shown here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1rvJ4l9CGc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

--edit

For the cheap stuff especially, but really all Ramen, the sodium is very high to say the least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I could live off of ramen (don't ask how I know!). I'd eat it dry, "half 'n' half," as soup, or inverted at FL350. ;)

I wondered if our well-traveled group would mention Japanese "real" ramen. Jesse did. In Japan it's a form of fast-food.

I just figured it'd be a fun topic. Agreed they're awful for you... sodium, fat, obviously tons of carbs.

Don't ever read the nutrition label on the back if you don't want a shock.

I've always wanted to see what Iron Chef or Alton Brown could do with 'em. :)

Had some today. I put some sliced link sausage in. Added chives. Crushed red pepper. Used the stock flavor packet instead of beef base.

Didn't break an egg into it this time. Learned my noodles from dad. Who learned it in Korea and Japan during Nam.

I'm strictly a low carb person. Starch is a no no for me. I like the taste, just feel lousy when I eat it. A small amount of rice is as far as I can go.

Buy a bag of brown rice. Complex carbs. Cook it and steam some veggies (use a steamer, and you don't have to monitor). Add some soy sauce, and enjoy! :)

I wondered if our well-traveled group would mention Japanese "real" ramen. Jesse did. In Japan it's a form of fast-food.

I just figured it'd be a fun topic. Agreed they're awful for you... sodium, fat, obviously tons of carbs.

Don't ever read the nutrition label on the back if you don't want a shock.

I've always wanted to see what Iron Chef or Alton Brown could do with 'em. :)

In Japan it's a cutthroat business. Does the guy selling flaming Ramen actually taste better than the guy two stalls down? Better than the guy with a cart? Maybe not, but the presentation might help sell ;)

There's a grocery store in Illinois where we buy a lot of our imported Japanese foodstuffs. They have multiple "stall" type restaurants in there. That's the closest I've had to "Japanese" Ramen I've had in the US, and it's still not quite right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Need more options. I can eat the brick right out of the pack or go gourmet with chicken, chili paste and green onions. I graduated college with no student loan debt, I know cheap whiskey and ramen noodles.

Now I'm getting all nostalgic, Henry McKenna, a fresly cracked can of Vienna's and a bowl of ramen with green onions... :)

Last edited:
Viennas! WOW! LOL... that's down there with Spam... (I'd take Spam over Viennas, but yeah... I've eaten both...)

I eat them completely dry uncooked about half the time. The other half the time, i mash it up into tiny pieces, put it in a bowl and put just enough water in to cover them, put it in the microwave for about 2 minutes, and its my favorite way to make them (with salt of course. yumm sodium....)

I have loved Ramen (and all other) noodles since I was a kid. I still probably eat them an average of once a week. I put other ingredients in with the noodles though, like vegetables, chicken, or egg, depending on my mood. I also only use about half the flavor packet or else it is too salty.

I think they are kinda taste too. It's been awhile, but they are good. :lol:

i had ramen for about a week during college. i swear i could feel my blood pressure jumping up higher. i decided credit card debt was preferrable and switched to mac and cheese.

what is gluten

No really, I have no idea. I don't watch what I eat, I just eat. I have the type of metabolism where if I sit on my butt and eat pizza and drink beer all the time I will actually lose weight.

I eat ramen around once a week.

I don't eat Ramen noodles because they require cooking. You have to get out a pot, clear off all the junk stacked on the glass stove top, then wait, and wait, while the water slowly comes to a boil. A good trick is to try and not watch it while it struggles through this stage of the process.

Once it is cooked, now you have to find a bowl, somewhere in one of those cabinets stuck to the wall above the counter. Dump the noodles into the bowl and go back to your movie or book, while you dine.

Then, after your gourmet feast, you have to go and clean up all the dishes and pots, then put them back to where you had found them, or reasonably close.

All in all, a pain in the ass project.

For a much better alternate, at a similar cost, you might consider trying Maruchan Instant Lunch. Myself, I prefer the beef flavor. This type of noodle fits right into my busy schedule, yet still allows me the enjoyment of practicing my culinary art right at home.

Open it, pour in water, zap it for three minutes, then take it back to where you were reading or watching a movie. I like to sprinkle a little Parmesan Cheese on it just to give it a little more flavor. When your though, lob it across the room into the wastebasket. Give yourself a cheer if you score, and go back to your book or movie.

There are many fine dining options out there for folks such as myself, who find little joy in screwing up the entire kitchen just for a hot meal.

-John

I don't eat Ramen noodles because they require cooking. You have to get out a pot, clear off all the junk stacked on the glass stove top, then wait, and wait, while the water slowly comes to a boil. A good trick is to try and not watch it while it struggles through this stage of the process.

Once it is cooked, now you have to find a bowl, somewhere in one of those cabinets stuck to the wall above the counter. Dump the noodles into the bowl and go back to your movie or book, while you dine.

Then, after your gourmet feast, you have to go and clean up all the dishes and pots, then put them back to where you had found them, or reasonably close.

For a much better alternate, at a similar cost, you might consider trying Maruchan Instant Lunch. Myself, I prefer the beef flavor. This type of noodle fits right into my busy schedule, yet still allows me the enjoyment of practicing my culinary art right at home.

Open it, pour in water, zap it for three minutes, then take it back to where you were reading or watching a movie. I like to sprinkle a little Parmesan Cheese on it just to give it a little more flavor. When your though, lob it across the room into the wastebasket. Give yourself a cheer if you score, and go back to your book or movie.

There are many fine dining options out there for folks such as myself, who find little joy in screwing up the entire kitchen just for a hot meal.

-John

Sounds like my uncle Norman's way of thinking! And I thought he was a cool dude. :D

-John

Yeah, but those things a like a buck a piece... Too rich for my blood.

I hear all the ski bums out here talk about eating nothing but Ramen Noodles.... I must be really weird cause I have NEVER eaten any. In fact I don't even know what the container looks like they come in.:nonod:.

Boy, am I gonna get it for admitting to that..:redface::redface:

It's a styrofoam cup, inside a cardboard box. Removeable (once) lid on the cup. How do I know? There's one sitting on my desk at work. Don't ask why, I don't remember. I got it so long ago that it doesn't matter. It's collecting dust on the top of the box. Dust experiment? :D

BTW, Maruchan chicken flavor, in case anyone was wondering. :D

You missed one...my preferred method:

No water, open the packet, dump the seasoning on top, and "CRUNCH!" eat it right off the brick.

-John

You're making it too complex. When I was single, when I actually cooked it, I would just eat it out of the pot. Take the pot and a potholder with you, throw the potholder on the coffee table, set the pot on it, and dig in.

You're making it too complex. When I was single, when I actually cooked it, I would just eat it out of the pot. Take the pot and a potholder with you, throw the potholder on the coffee table, set the pot on it, and dig in.

Your right, I forgot about that. It's been years since I've actually cooked anything that did not go in the zapper. Around ten years ago I had a bunch of work done on my house, which included remodeling my kitchen.

They put a glass stove top in my new tile counter. I turned it on once to see if it worked. I've never turned it on since. Microwave is the only way to go.

I had never turned the oven on until just a few years ago when I discovered frozen pizza. So now I use it now and then. The Mexican lady who washes my house every other week doesn't seem to like it when I'm on a pizza jag, but too bad.

-John

Only one word. Spell Check only got me for one word. Today is going to be a good day, I can feel it.

Haven't touched the stuff since I got out of the Marine Corps, and don't ever plan on touching it again. That was the go to hangover food if you were broke and/or the mess hall was closed.

I'm not broke but still enjoy cheap, chicken flavor cellphoane wrapped ramen at least once a month. Throw in some baby carrots while you are boiling the water, some finely chopped garlic, and some ground pepper....you got yourself a stew!

I eat them completely dry uncooked about half the time. The other half the time, i mash it up into tiny pieces, put it in a bowl and put just enough water in to cover them, put it in the microwave for about 2 minutes, and its my favorite way to make them (with salt of course. yumm sodium....)

I have to try this! A quicker way to get the Ramen! And less clean up (stove = one pot to wash, one bowl, one stirring spoon, one fork, one spoon. Microwave = one bowl and one fork / spoon only)

I have eaten them dry but it is kind of messy. Haven't bought them in a while due to the high fat content (I buy regular pasta noodles instead).

Eat 'em a couple of times a week, Nissin Ramen Oriental flavor. I usually throw in chopped cheap steak and then bring it back to just boiling in the 'wave to cook the meat. Cheap calories and easy to make at work. The airplane gets 100LL and I get Ramen, gotta feed the both of us!

Nothing cures a hangover after a night of partying like a double brick portion of ramen the next morning. Ok, it wasn't really morning when we woke, up, we'll call it early afternoon.

Viennas! WOW! LOL... that's down there with Spam... (I'd take Spam over Viennas, but yeah... I've eaten both...)

Actually, have you seen the price of Spam? It's not that cheap. Its more expensive than chicken or hamburger!

Never tried 'em dry, but your method of cooking them approximates mine. I break them up inside the bag, then put in a bowl with water. 2 minutes 15 seconds of microwave and it' s ready. Mix in the flavor pack, a few dashes of Maggi sauce and parmesan cheese on the top. Not bad for 15 - 20 cents. My wife even found a cookbook of Ramen recipes ( I think that's a bit much - after all, pasta is cheap and there are recipes for it everywhere).

Dave

Best way to go. Just like SpaghettiO's straight from the can. Gotta love being a [former] broke college student.

Back