Ramen Noodles

Ramen Noodles - How do you take them?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I haven't eaten them in at least 10 years. A staple of my diet in grad school, to be sure, at $0.20 or less a pack. Just wet enough to make 'em flexible (I believe, Ramen al dente is the menu term). Use about 1/2 the pack of seasoning. I could never detect a taste difference between the chicken, beef, mushroom or shrimp....

That was dinner. Lunch was the grad student/faculty cafeteria soup and bread combo for $1.90.

Kinda of miss the simplicity of those days.

When I was a broke college student a buddy recommended ramen noodles as a cheap, edible food.

So the next time I was at the grocery store, I bought about $10 worth of the stuff. I got a few packages of all the flavors - chicken, shrimp, whatever.

Went back to the dorm and boiled some up. Blaargh. Hmm, I'll try another flavor. Blaargh. I ended up giving away about 20 packets.

You bought $10 worth of Ramen noodles and only had 20 packets to give away?
You must have eaten quite a few considering that $1.00 gets you about 6-8 packs of Ramen noodles, which would have given you about 60-80 for $10.00.

Ramen noodles should be praised for being one of the few products that has not gone up in cost or come down in size in the past 30 years.
There's not any other company out there that can claim that (that I'm aware of).
Ramen noodles is also the company most directly responsible for putting so many of us through college, flight school and many professions that break our bank.

To this day I keep two large boxes of Ramen noodles as a emergency food source in case of a hurricane or other catastrophic event. :rolleyes:

Ordinarily, I wouldn't touch it. I think it's way too salty and it doesn't taste all that great considering the calories involved. But, this weekend, my SIL made a salad out of just the noodles (uncooked) and put them in a salad with sliced strawberries and a vinagrette dressing that was GOOD! :eek: They added a crunch to the salad that I really liked.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't touch it. I think it's way too salty and it doesn't taste all that great considering the calories involved. But, this weekend, my SIL made a salad out of just the noodles (uncooked) and put them in a salad with sliced strawberries and a vinagrette dressing that was GOOD! :eek: They added a crunch to the salad that I really liked.

A company here puts them in chocolate bars, not bad.

I'm pretty drunk right now (14 hour work days is the cause of my so-called "alcoholism") but I'd kill for a packet of maruchan ramen. Hell, I'd eat it dry without the flavor packet. I have childhood and college memories of eating those things dry and without the packet.

I enjoy the "cup of noodles" ones and especially loved the "souper bowl" ones. Used to eat them daily, and I still would regardless of whether I could afford "better" if I was back in Hawaii. I'd fill those things up to half an inch below the water line, nuke 'em, then drop a few ice cubes so I could slurp it all down.

You missed one...my preferred method:

No water, open the packet, dump the seasoning on top, and "CRUNCH!" eat it right off the brick.
This is my preferred version as well-- it was a staple of mine when I was in grad school. Love that crunch.

I wondered if our well-traveled group would mention Japanese "real" ramen. Jesse did. In Japan it's a form of fast-food.

I just figured it'd be a fun topic. Agreed they're awful for you... sodium, fat, obviously tons of carbs.

Don't ever read the nutrition label on the back if you don't want a shock.

I've always wanted to see what Iron Chef or Alton Brown could do with 'em. :)

They're full of Monosodium Glutamate, too. Terrible stuff that makes many people sick. I get headaches if I eat it. Should be outlawed.

Dan

Momofuko was a genius. Maybe someone can resurrect the posts we flung around after his death. Ramen is most tasty with shrimp. Lots of shrimp. Oh, broccoli too.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

They're full of Monosodium Glutamate, too. Terrible stuff that makes many people sick. I get headaches if I eat it. Should be outlawed.

Dan

You get a headache from eating Ramen? For real? I had a test for something unrelated to food once, and the doctor said they found I had food poisoning (forget if it was e-coli or salmanella) - I didn't feel a darned thing. The CDC called me and everything.

You get a headache from eating Ramen? For real? I had a test for something unrelated to food once, and the doctor said they found I had food poisoning (forget if it was e-coli or salmanella) - I didn't feel a darned thing. The CDC called me and everything.

Ramen:
http://www.justhungry.com/instant-ramen-and-cup-noodles-are-very-very-bad-you

Monosodium Glutamate (MSG):
http://www.rense.com/general52/msg.htm

That MSG link might be a bit overblown but there are still serious concerns regarding MSG.

Dan

Mrs. Steingar loves those things, always throws in oriental stuff, little dumplings and whatnot. I eat them if I'm too sick to make real soup. They are tasty, and nothing wrong with a little starch, it is part of a balanced diet. They are rather high in fat and sodium. I have kidneys to deal with the latter, unfortunately I have a waistline to deal with the former.

Back